Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Rv-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 07:06 AM
twister
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rv-4

I am building the fuse on the RV-4 and i am finding that by building flat on the plans like it calls some pieces of the fuse are off by as much as a 3/16 of an inch. this fuse is a lock and tab fuse and when you go to glue the sides tops and bottoms things just don't glue together like it says it should. Now i am a experienced builder and can creatively think my way out of most problems!! but i am getting sick and tired of such shotty kits from this company that builds the RV-4, that proclaims that they build better quality planes than the rest, I think this will be the last one from them!!!!!!!! I have'nt ran into this problem except from them. by the way i think the way they make you build the ailerons stink also! any remarks?
Old 03-08-2002, 01:56 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rv-4

Twister,

When did you buy the kit? I guess mine was an exception because (except for F7) all the formers fit 'right-on'.

I heard some of the earlier kits had some difficulity, but mine sure didn't - in fact it was a real pleasure to build.

Jerry
Old 03-08-2002, 02:23 AM
twister

Default Rv-4

Yes, F7 is the one that does not fit like it should and the stab plat that fits into the top of fuse will not be in the correct location. oh well looks like 'ill have to get creative here.
Old 03-08-2002, 03:32 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Default Rv-4

I assume this is a Great Planes kit? Have you called them? Their customer service is second to none. I checked the "tech notes" on their web site, but nothing about fuse formers.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:32 PM
twister

Default Rv-4

oh yes i called them and they treated me like i was some idiot that shouldn't be building planes!! The tech guy was a jerk from the start. Like i said I will probably not buy one of there planes again.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:25 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Default Rv-4

It is beyond me why Great Planes has not yet started kiting laser cut kits like several other better companies have. heck, even my inexpensive Lanier Shrike has laser cut parts...that FIT! On the other hand, I must agree that in the past I have had good luck with Great Planes customer service. It may have been because of Ann Maries direct assistance via a posting, but it was good...

Lee
Old 03-08-2002, 10:47 PM
twister

Default Rv-4

I too have wondered why they have'nt went to laser cut parts, the stamped lite ply definately is a pain!!!
Old 03-09-2002, 12:21 AM
Treeseeker
My Feedback: (19)

Default Rv-4

Oh' yes, The RV-4 by Great Pains!! Gotta love it.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:42 AM
twister

Default Rv-4

treeseeker did you build the RV4 and any problems with it?
Old 03-09-2002, 07:35 AM
Treeseeker
My Feedback: (19)

Default Rv-4

I didn't like how the trailing edge of the wing was built. Take a little bit of this, a little bit of that, taper this, taper that, cross grain this, cross grain that. And don't get me started about that big assed block you had to sand down. I think it sucked and could have been thought out better. But..... leave it to Great Pains to put you through that misery.

Makes me feel like crashin' to get satisfactin'

Cheers!
Treeseeker
Old 03-09-2002, 07:52 AM
twister

Default Rv-4

Yes the lovely ailerons what a pain in the @@$#, thinking about just using standard aileron stock, I thought G.P's motto was better designs and higher quality parts!!