Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why do computer stores sell equipment to jerks?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why do computer stores sell equipment to jerks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:01 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do computer stores sell equipment to jerks?

Folks,

This is more of a gripe than a question but I'm posting it here because it is something that I, and probably many others, are experiencing on RCU...

It seems that no matter what question is posted by me or others on RCU, half of the responses say "you don't want to do that" and the other half berate the asker for even asking such a stupid (in their opinion) question. More often than not, the moderator is the only one who ends up providing a useable answer. Why is that?

Everyone says how RCU is a vast wealth of experience and knowledge in RC but sometimes it's hard to find it in all of the clutter. Folks, if you don't know the answer to somebody's question or disapprove of what they're asking, then why is it necessary to even chime in? Your input doesn't solve the person's problem so that's no help. And berating a person for even asking doesn't do any good either. All it does is make everybody else see you as a jerk, leave the asker with an unanswered question, and drive him (or her) to one of the other radio control websites on the internet. So just what did your negative post accomplish???

My heartfelt thanks to many of the GREAT modelers out there, both moderators and members, who go out of their way to bring this great hobby to a higher level each day. But for those who are on RCU for the sole purpose of waiting to pounce on folks, well, thanks for nothing! Go back to shooting your neighbor's pets with your pellet guns and stop destroying RCU.

Harvey
Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why do computer stores sell equipment to jerks?

that is just the nature of people learn to live with it
Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a question better left unanswered, I guess, but ........

I think everything you said is true and has merit. There IS a wealth of knowledge on this site, and I think it's head and shoulders above all other R/C sites. When someone poses a question here, it's because they want information, not to provoke a response (well, at least the vast majority of the time). From their perspective, it's a reasonable question to solve a puzzle or a technical situation they don't understand.

From the perspective of the experienced person, though, some of the questions asked only leave you wondering, 'What planet did this person beam down from?" Most questions ARE reasonable, but with some it is too obvious that the "asker" has no concept of even the most basic aerodynamic or mechanical concepts and should get as far away from this hobby as possible. Now, maybe, with a few good answers and some patient explanation, some of these people will have an epiphany and it will all be made clear, and they can go on to enjoy this wonderful hobby and themselves make a contribution. Others, well, maybe needlepoint will be much safer for them and everyone else.

The other side of this is that many people, while they are intelligent and have a wealth of knowledge they can share, maybe don't possess either the patience, the desire, ability, or the "people skills" to share this knowledge. Some feel the need to make everyone else seem dumber than they are; but maybe, they just can't find the best way to explain something that may be so easy for them, and so difficult for others. I've been on here for over 4 years now, and have learned to temper a lot more of my responses than I used to. I certainly don't know everything, and never try to pretend that I do. I limit my response to questions I feel I can contribute positively to. I only recommend things based on my own experience, or things I have seen firsthand that work. I ask questions myself, and I guess some of them might seem stupid to some, reasonable to others.

But in some cases, I am still wondering, when I try to give a good answer, just what planet I'm in communication with.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
meaden

I agree with the answers posted. I would also add that it's much easier to be snide, condescending and generally un-helpful (my guess is to make themselves feel better) when you not face to face or even in the same part of the world with someone.

There have been many times when I've typed a response and then didn't post it because I knew it wouldn't be helpful. Most times because I was in a foul mood over something that had nothing to do with RC.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I belong to a few other forums also. (Heaven forbid me mentioning this here) But your mention is very-very similar to a responce at the other ones, than at RCU. I get em' like other folks do, but moreover at other places onna web than here.

I usually run up against some oldster who knows everything, but has no practible experience in whatever is the exact question. And he is trusted for the responce. Even if the subject matter wanders away from the original posting.

For instance, say someone who has flown free flight for decades, then chimes in on some helicopter problem. Everyone, and all readers siddle up to his responce, for he has experience in the overall situation. But what actual experience? Has he ever flown or owned a helicopter? But, he is trusted in what he says. The fellow who actually owns a similar helicopter has zero chance to post and let everyone hear his youthfull knowledge, except to be laughed at. In my opinion, the helicopter guy (although young) may solve the situation better than the oldster, but per the respondants, you sure could not tell that.

nuff, with the anti-helicopter responces. The main man has made his choice, and is now better to help than get in the way.

Wm.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Live Wire

How do you no it is an OLD FART chiming in . There are a bunch of young Know it all that like to think they well you can tell where this is going
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot depends on the mood of the responder at the moment.

With others it's frequently a writing skill issue that sets the stage for an answer.

Some will respond that don't have a clue, while some with a clue are just mean and like to cause trouble.

Some want to help but have trouble communicating in any manner.

Some will give it ther all but walk away from an arguement when it starts, others will stay to the bitter end.

I suppose all the above sounds a bit like the way life is in anything. Use what's useful and ignore the rest is about the best anyone can advise.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Villa

Hi khodges

My compliments on an excellent response. There are some people here that just love to fight. Some seem to intentionally mislead. I guess they get their kicks from that. I put the worst on a list so I can ignore them. It takes a bit of diplomacy to contradict some info that is wrong or at least not generally agreed to or accepted by the R/C community. As an OLD FART myself I try not to offer advice to some kid with a chip on his shoulders. I'll ignore him/her if I can figure out who they are.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 AM
khodges

Thanks, Villa. I like Pat Roy's response above "Use what's useful......."

RCU is just a microcosm of the larger life we lead. Nobody likes to be made fun of, nobody likes to be told they're wrong. You can get away with both, as long as you laugh at yourself at the same time, and don't rub the person's nose in what you're saying is wrong about whatever it is that's the issue. Unfortunately, there are a lot of mean-spirited people who get their kicks from belittling others. I think it's a coping mechanism for their own inadequacies.

I think, though, that sometimes people need to be told that they are wrong, especially if the preponderance of the evidence is to the contrary of their position; but there is a correct way to go about it. There's a line from a book, "Rocket Boys", where the Dad says something about how does a man know he's wrong if somebody doesn't tell him, and how will he know to get better if someone doesn't tell him he's bad. Too much in this life gets taken personally.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 AM
da Rock

So do we answer the question you asked in the Subject Title or the one in the post?

If the computer stores didn't sell to jerks, 95% of their sales would be lost.

One reason a lot of answers seem to have missed the question, is simple. Very often the question missed the problem. Often, experienced modelers have heard the question before, sometimes many times before. And know what has solved the real problem most times before. And the question shows the questioner hasn't solved the problem because he's looking in the wrong place. Ever noticed how lots of questions tell you which couple of answers the guy is willing to believe? Lot's of people start off explaining where the answer has to be, and are wrong.

At the field, I don't know how many times I've had to ask a guy more than once to describe what the symptoms are. "What is actually happening?" So often, the "question" is just a list of the things that should have worked if the problem was what the guy is sure it is. And it isn't. And that's obvious.

"Jeez, who would have ever thought that was the reason." Anybody every heard that one before? Yeah? Then bet you been helping people more than just since yesterday. And have noticed that the request for help usually describes something else that HAS to be the reason. And when you offered that solution that actually worked, first thing you got back was, "nah, you didn't hear what I said the problem was".............
Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Insanemoondoggie

ORIGINAL: da Rock

If this is true , that means 95% of us on here are jerks .
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 AM
bkdavy

I disagree with the original precept of this entire thread. Yes there are a few people on here who's answers may not be helpful, and there are some beginners that like to put up answers when they have no clue. But for the most part, I've found RCU in general (at least in the airplane forums) to be a very congenial group that is interested in helping people find the correct answer to a problem, not just the popular answer.

I have to admit I personnally get very frustrated when people don't bother to do a search on their particular problem before they post. When the same question gets asked by 3 different people in three different threads in the course of a week, chances are somebody's going to get an answer they don't like.

I admire the moderators and those that continue to patiently answer the same questions with the same answer.

One other note to the OP. I looked at your profile and the threads you have posted in. I didn't see any of the types of answers you're complaining about (at least not recently). So could you point us to the threads that exhibit the type of answers you're referring to? Perhaps we might get a better understanding of your issue.

Brad
Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
mclina

I somehow managed to trick the dummies at Circuit City into selling me a couple of PC's. You just have to act nice while they write up the sales ticket, then you can go back to being a jerk over at merchandise pickup. Then they just jinx your mail-in rebates.

Actually, I must say, that 99% of the posts I see here at RCU at friendly, helpful, and supportive. I used to frequent other online boards, for different hobbies. When I started coming to RCU, I was amazed at the lack of bickering compared to other boards.

With the exception of the AMA Forum, where it seems that people just go to fight, and the occasional question about building what sounds like a guided missile, people do seem to go out of their way to help people in this hobby.

I'm sure I have been guilty of giving poor or incomplete advice from time to time. It does not bother me when someone more experienced chimes in with a correction or a clarification. And if I am just dead wrong, then I would like to be corrected strongly. The posts we put on RCU remain in cyberspace forever, and bad advice will propagate forever if it is not closely followed by a strong rebuttal.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Insanemoondoggie

No Robbie, it's only the "Other guys" who are jerks

Remember, one man's Jerk is another man's Guru

But back to the question...

Due to the annonimity of the internet it's easy to throw in a sarcastic remark - often a lot easier than to answer the question. The best advice I have is this:

Spend lots of time here and read lots of posts - it won't take long before you start realizing who's answers you like, who you think gives good advice, and who you think a computer salesman took advantage of.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 AM
pub

Wow, that was a close one,I buy all my computer parts on line. pub
Old 02-24-2008, 10:34 AM
khodges

So do we answer the question you asked in the Subject Title or the one in the post?

I t took me about five replies to figure out the subtlety of the thread title, pretty sharp[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
One reason a lot of answers seem to have missed the question, is simple. Very often the question missed the problem. Often,

At the field, I don't know how many times I've had to ask a guy more than once to describe what the symptoms are. "What is actually happening?" So often, the "question" is just a list of the things that should have worked if the problem was what the guy is sure it is. And it isn't. And that's obvious.
Troubleshooting a problem in R/C is sort of a cross between CSI and "Seconds From Disaster"; some people don't have as good analytical skills as others and appraoch a problem from entirely the wrong direction, and a subset of those get truly offended when you point out the obvious and they feel so dumb when they couldn't see it themselves, even if that wasn't your intent.

This has turned into a good discussion. Fifteen or so replies and nobody's been slugged or even had their shirttail pulled out.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM
jawsmon
My Feedback: (7)

There are alot of us out here who may not have enough experience to know how to ask an intelligent question about an RC problem. We may not even have a clue what the problem is. I appreciate the patentience and contributions of those who have helped me directly or indirectly via reading many posts on experiences similar to mine.

Just remember...
1. The first step in problem solving is to know there is a problem.
2. The second step is to identify the problem.
3. Once the problem is identified then work on the solution.

See where you can help? You may be of the most help by working on #2 and identifiing the real problem. Negativity isn't very helpful.

Please remember this "Help me to Help you" when replying to a post. When the problem doesn't appear to be properly identified help the person that's asking the question for more detail, direct his thoughts toward the source of the problem. You will be a better person for it. Please don't be too harsh on those who may not be as intelligewnt on the subject as yourself.

Thanks again to the moderators who put up with alot of half hearted foolishness(including my own).[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: jawsmon

"Help me to Help you"
Sounds like "Jerry McGuire". Well, now you got me thinkin' about Rene Zellweger.[sm=bananahead.gif] I'm outa here.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
kdc

It is like democracy......you give everyone the chance to have their say and trust that the majority get it right. It works with politics dosn't it.......
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
jeffk464

I personally have gotten a lot of very useful advice from this website. I guess sometimes the advice is not given in the most diplomatic way, but if you listen it can be very helpful.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
JimInCA

I think that this would depend on if you're a PC or a MAC user. Being a PC user, I definitely feel that I got jerked!
Jim...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Denting7

This kind of answer is exactly what is being discussed. Why take up the space and make someone have to read it. It was useless information.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
da Rock

Actually it doesn't. It actually doesn't say anything at all about anybody other than the people who buy pc's, and since it's followed by a big-old winking smiley face........... [8D]

And the sentence was buried within a fairly lengthy answer to both the question in his title and the question in his post.....................

Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

One other note to the OP. I looked at your profile and the threads you have posted in. I didn't see any of the types of answers you're complaining about (at least not recently). So could you point us to the threads that exhibit the type of answers you're referring to? Perhaps we might get a better understanding of your issue.

Brad
Here is a link to a post where the OP mentions replies being hateful.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4065311
I read the entire thread and did not see hatefulness but that is only my perspective. Everyone sees things differently.

After hatefulness was mentioned the thread did go downhill and was locked by the moderators.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Jburry

Just read that thread, and I gotta say, it was a great, friendly discussion until the OP accused 'em of hatefulness. Actually, it was an exceedingly good thread until then, no flaming, no insulting etc...

Is the OP, per chance, an over 55 business owner with a pilot's lisence?

With all due respect, I'm not sure what you were complaining about there!

J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.