Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

HOW TO LONG TERM STORE AN AIRPLANE????

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

HOW TO LONG TERM STORE AN AIRPLANE????

Old 02-26-2008, 10:28 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HOW TO LONG TERM STORE AN AIRPLANE????

I have a couple of airplanes I would like to put in storage for an indefinite time. These would be stored intact(all equipment to remain installed except battery and maybe the engine). I was thinking of using a thick mil plastic bag that could be sealed and use desacant(sp) in the bag for moisture control. That is what I was thinking. But I haven't a clue if this would be the best approach and if it is, where to obtain the bags and desacant. Looking for ideas to store planes. And to answer the first suggestion, the wife will not allow inside the house storage. Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
pub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW TO LONG TERM STORE AN AIRPLANE????

Your joking right? if not you can send the planes to me,or put the wife in storage. pub
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 PM
jaybird11

PUB you just made a touch down!!!!! 3 points!!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can put them in a bag, but don't worry about moisture control. The bag will keep moisture out, and you don't want anything in the bag that will dry the wood out.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A touch down is 6 points.!!!!!!!!!! As mentioned, you can store them as you have noted. You can even leave the engines on them, just make sure to install some after run oil in them. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't store them in the rafters of the garage or attic. The heat will destroy the airframes. Seen it happen. Guy puts a perfectly good airframe in the rafters of his garage. Comes back 2yrs later to sell the airframe. Pulls it out of the rafters and it just about falls apart in his hands. Covering was so dry and brittle, it was like really thin glass. Touch it and you'd poke a hole in it. All the wood was dried out to powder and sticks.

This is the ceiling of my master bedroom. Yes, I'm married.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12237.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	889977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72525.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	889978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57670.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	889979  
Old 02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
housedad

Just make sure that it is in a cool dry place if possible and protected from hanger rash.

I put a trainer without the wing into a large cardboard box in the basement back in 1984 and I left the Hobby. After moving once, I found it about 2 years ago. The box was crushed from other stuff being put on top of it, but the plane survived with moderate banging. The covering would have been fine, if it wasn't for the hanger rash.

The engine, a K&B 61, was still on the plane, and had been put away without any work on it. It survived OK, but I've had to tear it down to clean the castor junk out and replace the bearings. Make sure you put some after run oil in it and spin it to prevent that from happening to yours.

I don't thing you are talking about that kind of time frame though!![sm=teeth_smile.gif]