Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Balsa USA Cub

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
logair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA Cub

Have a Balsa USA Cub that I built several years ago with an OS 120 FS engine. IT does not get flown much because it is difficult to mount the wings. You have to attatch the wings with two bolts in each wing through the fuselage door and try to find the bolt hole, then screw the bolts in a cramped space. After flying you have to repeat the proccess to disassemble. If I were to build a new one I would modify the kit so the wings could be attatched and removed easier. My question is has any one changed the mounting procedure to a better one? Logair
Old 02-28-2008, 03:51 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Balsa USA Cub

How long does it take? 5 minutes? IMO, there's no better way to mount and dismount the wings than the way BUSA uses on the J-3. Of course, there IS another way. If you can find a picture of Sig's J-3 (the 1/4 scale) it has a two piece wing that bolts down from the top, but you still have the struts to attach. Doesn't look nearly as "clean" as the BUSA method, because the wing bolts are clearly visible. If scale appearance doesn't matter to you, the BUSA can be engineered this way, but is a fairly major retrofit, because you have to cut the top of the cabin out, incorporate it into one wing half, make the attach points in the top of the cabin framework, add a wing joiner (which requires removing at least part of the wing cover). It would almost be easier to just build the Sig kit. I usually convert any of my high-wing planes to the method BUSA uses on its J-3 (actually, Sig uses the same method on its 1/5 scale J-3, which is a redesign from their 1/4 scale)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM
LunaSea

you did not mention what type of bolts you are using. I have built similar models using the technique that you describe for wing mounting. I have always used socket-head bolts and installed/removed them w/ a ball-end driver. I have always found it to be pretty easy to do... BTW- I also typically use a couple of "aligning pins" (made from 1/4 inch dowel rod) in the root rib that plug into aligning holes in the center section. This makes alignment easy.

Hope this is usefull info for you...
Old 02-29-2008, 03:26 AM
superflea

I am working on a stinson Reliant that uses the same mounting technique. I am thinking about modding the fuse to run some longerons inside the fuse at the top a few inches below the existing fuse top, then fabricating a hatch, one in front of and one behind the the wing joiner tube box. remove the hatch and the wing bolts are right there easy to reach. After installing the bolts then just drop the hatch cover back in and screw it in.
The cover should be be made essentially a box with the bottom of the box just being regular old plywood and the top section being made to match the contour of the rest of the fuse top complete with stringers etc.

I assume your cub has the cub window on the top of the fuse? if so then make the window removable and if necessary relocate the mounting bolts to be in line with the window. perhaps use a combination of the two. The idea here is to try to gain access to the bolts from through the top of the fuse in as Aesthetically appealing way possible without sacrificing structural integrity.

Or grow yourself some go-go gadget arms.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 PM
logair

superflea from Raymond Wa. My Cub was built ten or twelve years ago. The window is per plans so have to go through the door to attatch wings. Left wing is easy since I can run a long hex driver though the right holes to the left side screws, it helps to have a helper hold the left wing in place while doing so. It is the right wing that is time consuming do to twisting your fingers around to screw the screws in as far as they will turn by hand, then use a 90deg. hex wrench then turn the rear screw about 1/8 of a turn at a time untill tight. I did solder a washer on a slotted screw to act as a wing nut and it helps some. I took the Cub to the field the other day and timed the assembly and with the help of a second person holding the wings it took 35 minutes to attatch the wings. Logair from Aberdeen Wa.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
superflea

Well I fully understand. as I said the Stinson uses the same method. Unlike the Cub though the Stinson has the option of building two doors, but like a dumb ***** I chose one. now its 90% built and while test fitting the wings I discover that, like yours the right wing is a first class PITA to do.

Twas just a suggestion, don't know if its even possible in your case, but its what I've been thinking for mine. Right now construction is on hold till I finish crashing the planes I have. seems construction is always on hold though. just checked my tower order history and it seems that I bought this thing in 04. I really had no idea it was that long ago.

So where do you fly in aberdeen? I been looking for some place a little better than here in raymond. We were using the 3000X50 ft runway but some, well one of the full scale guys cried like a school girl. He doesn't even fly out of raymond anymore lol. so any way now we have a pile of rock that is supposed to morph in to a runway for us. Dont really want to drive to thurston or lewis counties.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM
logair

superflea, I fly with the Grays Harbor wings Club. We fly at willis field in Satsop. Dues are 25.00 per year. We have a nice grass strip able to handle the larger aircraft. We have about 30 members I believe. I am fully aquainted with the Raymond airport, as I have a full scale Starduster One biplane, and just sold my 46 Ercoupe. I had to do some repair work to the Stardusters wings due to another aircraft taxing into the back of my plane. The wings are repaired and i'm in the process of bolting them in place. I enjoy flying model aircraft almost as much. To get to our field, come to Montesano follow the highway east a couple miles or so, you will see a vet's office on the left side of the freeway, take the next right and flollow that road approx. half mile or so, turn right, follow the road across the valley, the road makes a sharp left. follow that the the field about half mile. flying field is next to road. Willis bros. are farmers that used to fly and instruct in aircraft years ago. They are glad to have us fly, but they insist on us belonging to the AMA for insurance purposes.Logair
Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
logair

superflea, I fly with the Grays Harbor wings Club. We fly at willis field in Satsop. Dues are 25.00 per year. We have a nice grass strip able to handle the larger aircraft. We have about 30 members I believe. I am fully aquainted with the Raymond airport, as I have a full scale Starduster One biplane, and just sold my 46 Ercoupe. I had to do some repair work to the Stardusters wings due to another aircraft taxing into the back of my plane. The wings are repaired and i'm in the process of bolting them in place. I enjoy flying model aircraft almost as much. To get to our field, come to Montesano follow the highway east a couple miles or so, you will see a vet's office on the left side of the freeway, take the next right and flollow that road approx. half mile or so, turn right, follow the road across the valley, the road makes a sharp left. follow that the the field about half mile. flying field is next to road. Willis bros. are farmers that used to fly and instruct in aircraft years ago. They are glad to have us fly, but they insist on us belonging to the AMA for insurance purposes.Logair
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 AM
superflea

logair,
that coupe you sold, it wasnt 87161 was it. reason i ask is cause it was newly acquired by a guy here and is soon to used as a club plane. And is the plane that I will eventually solo in. Yes, I'm doing that too. wife hates it but what she gonna do. Also building a 100% super cub replica. She hates that even more. But on the bright side she hates models all over the house a little less now.

I will have to stop by and check out the flying out there soon. I guess its supposed to rain all weekend and for the foreseeable future but if it ever stops...
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
logair

superflea, For some reason last nights post did not show up in answere to your question. No that was not my Ercoupe, But I know who bought it( D. R. ) I also gave him the plans to the Balsa USA Cub several years ago for his son to build. The coupe used to belong to a F. W. who is building a Zenith just like D.R. Don't know if I can make it to the RC field Saturday or not, but should be several people out there. We plan on having a Fly-in drawing clubs from Shelton, Olympia, Toledo, etc. sometime later this month. When I find out the exact date will let you know.Logair
Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM
superflea

I probably will make a show out there sat.
don't know if i will fly. AMA card hasn't showed up in the mail yet but the check cleared on monday so it may show up sat, it may not but either way im not waiting around here for it. And besides right now the only thing I have flying is a GP AT 6 arf. After putting the main gear back in a couple times already I starting to think that grass might be a tall order for it.

I do have a goldberg sukhoi 120 that I put a 23CC gas on but its not running too well. Never messed with gas before so im sure its simple stuff but till I get that worked out its not flying either.

D. R. is a hell of a guy, he said he bought that aircoupe as a club plane wherein he gets to be the contract A&P, and the club repays him for the purchase price of the plane. He's letting me in for next to nothing and 35 hr plus 25 mo. i buy the fuel. that part may or may not be a great deal, but I mean it, really, next to nada buy in. That Zenith he built turned out pretty well but he gotta fire that painter of his

Any way maybe I'll see you saturday.