Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

re covering a plane problems

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

re covering a plane problems

Old 03-14-2008, 12:50 PM
lalo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re covering a plane problems

I am recovering a cg chipmunk and a gp piper cub, both have hinged surfaces, and i coud not cover them easily, i trided to cut the hinges and change them, but they are glued with epoxi and there is a lot of work to take them out with out damage the wood, how do you do these work?
thanks
lalo
Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: re covering a plane problems

I leave the control surfaces on. Just cut small pieces and slip them the gaps and use a trim iron.
Edwin
Old 03-14-2008, 03:35 PM
carolinaflyer08

i have had this problem before and it seems like if you leave the control surfaces on you do not get a very good quality of finish . i would cut the hinges off flush with a dremel and reinstall new hinges right beside the old ones(robart type hinges would work great do to their small footprint)good luck!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:56 AM
AERORICH73

I agree with Edwin Lalo. Leave the hinges alone. Replacing the hinges without the Great Planes Hinging Tool is really a lot of work, and as you mentioned, could damage the [email protected]
Old 03-15-2008, 05:43 AM
camdyson

100% what Carolinaflyer said. Just cut hinges off flush, recover surfaces PROPERLY - ie with overlaps, then re-hinge with Robart hinge points. What's the big deal with re-hinging you guys? We used to do it on ALL our planes before ARF's came along! Why do a 2nd rate recover just to avoid a bit of hinging.

Just my 2c you understand...

Cam
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Flying freak

I HATE hinging more than anything else

But in this case id cut them off flush recover and reinstall new hinges next to the old ones

Steven
Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume the hinges are the nylon pinned type, since they are epoxied in. IF you decide to cut them, before going next to them with new hinges, and IF you have the GP Slot Machine, you can try spreading the blades on the slot machine to each side of the old hinge ("straddling" it) and cutting it free that way. I've done it before, but there is some fiddle factor getting it to work without the blades cutting a diverging slot into the wood, istead of staying parallel to the hinge material. Use the thin blades for cutting Ca slots.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess I'm one of the few that completely assembles his planes before covering. I cover something like the wings or stabs all with one piece of covering and do the control surfaces with the same piece. It closes up all the hing gaps this way.
In my case I would just leave them in but that's how I do it anyway. If you must remove them use the cut off wheel on A Dremel.