Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

WING SHEETING ADVICE

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WING SHEETING ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Jim Haskins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WING SHEETING ADVICE

What is the best and easiest sheeting method for sheeting a foam wing? My first one. What is the best cement to use. THANKS
Old 03-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: WING SHEETING ADVICE

The best experience I had was with a polyurethan (expanding) glue. But, (just my opinion) you must have shucks from the foam wings. I used a couple of 2'x4' pieces of shelf wood from the hardware store with formica on both sides. These are very flat and straight. Then sandwiched the sheeted wing in the shucks with about 200lbs of barbell weights on it. As the glue expands, wipe it off. Its not very easy to sand next to foam. Worked like a champ for me. I wouldnt know how to do it without the shucks.
Edwin
Old 03-17-2008, 07:21 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i use a 6" foam foam roller from depot or lowe's and spread the gorilla glue or probond on the foam until there is just a clear sheen. i start by pouring glue on a paper plate 1st. just a little bit on the roller and start rolling it on the foam wing. you literally push the glue around until the clear sheen is all that's left. hold it up to the lite and check for missed spots. i then mist the balsa skins with water and apply them to the foam wing. i then place the shucks over the cores, 3/4 mdf (plywood) over the shucks and clamp firmly. rock solid, i assure you..
david
Old 03-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Ed Smith

What is the best and easiest sheeting method for sheeting a foam wing? My first one. What is the best cement to use. THANKS
The best method is to use epoxy resin as the adhesive. The end result is a stiffer wing than if using any other glue. There is no weight penalty.

The easiest way to apply pressure to the core/skin assembly is to insert the assembly into a vacuum bag. The end result is a more even and greater pressure than any weights one can lift and place on top of the assembly.

Ed S
Old 03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

If you don't have access to the technology for vacuum bagging, fill 2-gallon zip lock bags with sand and use them to apply pressure. I use them all the time to weight sheeting.

Brad
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like the epoxy idea, but sandwiching the whole assembly between 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF and clamping firmly requires very little effort. although i do want to get into vacuum bagging also.

david
Old 03-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

During my pylon racing years (Q500), I used Southern Sorghum which is a water based contact cement. I never had a wing failure or any skin delamination. This is a product sold in hobby stores. I would still use it on a foam wing as it is so easy.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Jim Haskins

Thanks Guys, I think I will go with the Probond and clamp method on the first try. How much vacume is required to seat the sheeting when using that proceedure?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM
kdc

It is interesting that here in England almost all foam wings are covered with obeche veneer instead of balsa. Obeche is cheap and available in large sheets. Also most English kits had the wings ready veneered.
Almost all the articles in English magazines show the veneer being stuck down with a latex contact glue ( Copydex is the main brand name ) although a few show epoxy. Copydex can be thinned down with water and both surfaces are covered with the glue and allowed to dry. When dry -about 15 to 30 minutes the veneer is applied to the foam with hand pressure.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Southern Sorghum . But the drawback there is that you only get one shot at putting it down because it sticks immediately. I use it on foam floats and then glass them.