Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cleaning .42 Engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cleaning .42 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Callidus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning .42 Engine

I have a .42 engine that hasn't been used in well over a year and was stored uncleaned full of fuel.... The fuel had gone really think and started to smell like paint ?!? and the throttle appears to be seized...

I only used this engine maybe 3 times and now have an application for it... Question is how would you go about cleaning what would you use?

Cheers
Old 04-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Mike18

I had the same thing with a K&B 40 that was put away for about 18 years.

My local hobbie shop guy told me to soak it in a can of glow fuel for a couple days and keep messing with it till it comes loose.
Don't force it, you might break something.

I am by no means an expert ,but this worked for me.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:28 AM
CafeenMan

If you didn't take the fuel out then there's a good possibility the bearings are rusted. Take off the carburetor, head and back plate. Soak the engine in glow fuel, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, alcohol or something to loosen up the gunk. I would just pull the barrel out of the carb and clean the whole carb with Q-tips and oil.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:35 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Be careful with solvents

Originally posted by CafeenMan
...Soak the engine in glow fuel, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, alcohol or something to loosen up the gunk. I would just pull the barrel out of the carb and clean the whole carb with Q-tips and oil.
A blind smattering of solvents can leave you somewhat unhappy as some can and do attack rubber, plastics and gaskets. Lacquer thinner is great on bare metal parts, same as mineral spirits...keep both away from rubber parts though. Denatured alcohol is your best bet to clean glow engines as a very close derivitive of it is used for the base of glow fuel...methanol.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:40 AM
CafeenMan

That's why I said pull the carb and backplate. Yes, the oil-based solvents can destroy O-rings and such.

I like to use mineral spirits because it is oil based and won't attract moisture like alcohol does. I would never soak my engine in fuel simply because the stuff costs a lot more than solvent.

Denature alcohol will work fine, but again, you have to be sure to get all the alcohol out and oil it real well.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:43 AM
CafeenMan

Actually, I hardly ever open my engines unless they have been stored for a long time or I stuck the engine into the ground pretty hard. I mean hard enough that I broke something off the engine or I am positive dirt entered the engine somehow.

In that case, this is how I clean my engines. The thing is you have to rinse and dry them immediately - especially anything that can rust.

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/engines_maintenance.htm

99.9% of the time I just use an air compressor to blow crud from the outside of the engine when I get home. The engine stays clean that way and I never have to worry about cooked on oil.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Callidus

Cheers Guys, Thanks for all the great replies. Much appretiated.

One last question any particular oil to re-lubricate a completely clean dry engine?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:10 AM
CafeenMan

I use sewing machine oil. Any light oil that you have will work fine. But don't use WD 40 or anything like it. It's not as much of an oil as it is a solvent.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Spaceclam

it's probably ruined. it it was stored full of fuel, i will bet the insides are rusted together
Old 05-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Callidus

Default Thats what i thought,

However a 24 hour soak in glow fuel and its working better than it ever has!

I was very suprised.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Spaceclam

it may have loosened the parts, but have you opened it up? just take the backplate off, it is probably rusted.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said .42 engine and I'm guessing a Thunder Tiger GP .42 and if it is, then it has no bearings to rust.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Spaceclam

who specified bearings? i meant for instance, crank shaft rusted to the piston arm, or rough metal because of corrosion. it is probably ruined. i wouldn't trust it