Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

2.4GHZ

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4GHZ

I have a question about 2.4ghz radios sytems. I was told that if you have a 2.4ghz radio system you cannot let your plane go out of your line of sight. Does anyone know if this is true, because where I fly it is hard not to let your plane fly behind objects.

Thanks

Jason
Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Default RE: 2.4GHZ

If the plane is out of your line of sight, you can't control it anyway. You can't control something you can't see.

Most of these recievers will hold the last input if there is a short signal shadow until it picks up the signal again, you probably won't even be aware of it.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 PM

But will the plane respond if I am outside and it is in my garage??? or if it goes behind a tree for a quick second??? It should because it would work on the principle of a 2.4ghz cordless phone and I can use that half way down the road and the reciver is in my house.

Jason
Old 03-26-2008, 09:11 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard that you can't go out of line-of-site.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 PM

Yep, goes through walls, I just tried it on my airplane. The plane was in the other room and I could hear the rudder servo move when I wiggled the stick. The signal even penetrates two walls. It usually takes something made of metal to block radio signals and even then, there is probably some indirect signal bounce for the reciever to pick up.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you do A radio check hold the radio behind your back and see what happens when you get out A ways. I do that with FM and 2.4, just an old thing I have been doing and haven't gotten out of the habit.
I just got two new 2.4 RXs from the local hobby shop and they turned out to be the older ones that with signal loss they locked you out for from 4 to 6 seconds, trust me, you will notice that. Horizon says to just send them back and they have been replacing them with the new models. It's worth testing and the price of the postage.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I was just reading about the radio that I wanted and in the manual it says no need to worry about line of sight with the new radio design! That is perfect, thanks a lot!!! By the way I was looking at the Spektrum DX6i. Anyone here have any experience with this radio???

Jason
Old 03-27-2008, 01:41 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Blitzz; Just got the dx6i my self and run into a problem trying to bind it. Just about ready to call Horizon, then went to a different switch and darned if it didn't bind right away. Doesn't make since to me, but it worked and works on the original switch now.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 AM
My Feedback: (20)

I have yet to fly with the DX6i but the programming is a breeze. I picked mine up 2 weeks ago and have most of my scale stuff programmed into it already. Also programmed on of my sailplanes(Victory C) which took a little more work than the radio I had in it last (JR x347).

Tim
Old 03-28-2008, 08:40 AM

Alright awesome guys. As soon as they are in stock I am going to order myn. I gotta take advantage of the promotion Spektrum has on for the Free reciver!!!

Jason
Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
You must use a 3 line switch. Or...plug in the binder plug direct into the receiver battery intake.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Well I am a LONG way from knowledgeable on these but I read they are a little bit prone to have the signal blocked by metal fences power lines and such. All stuff we should not fly behind anyway. Trees and the like should have no effect... well don't fly through 'em!