Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel tank full?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel tank full?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM
SABREPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank full?

Hi All,
I`m new to i.c. and before I start constructing my new plane, I would like to know how or what is the best way to know that your fuel tank is full when filling up.

Thanks Nige.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
meaden

Default RE: Fuel tank full?

Hum...if you mean RC. When there is some overflow from the vent in my fuel tank I know it's full.

You might want to do a bit more research before your build. Or find a flying buddy or club.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: SABREPD

I`m new to i.c.
Internal Combustion.......?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
General Lee Stupid

I use a film cartrege canister (the round plastic things the film comes in) with two brass tubes through the lid. one of the tubes has a 1" peice of fuel tubing and then another brass tube on the end. when fueling the plane unhook the fuel tube leading to the muffler and attach the 3rd brass bit to it. stop filling when you see the fuel flowing into the canister. I can post a pic if needed.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM
meaden

I have an over flow bottle like General Lee Stupid is describing too. Don't kill the grass or posion the ground!

Plus, over a gallon of fuel what you catch is another flight!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45324.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	915919  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, contrary to the previous posts...OVERFLOW doesn't mean your tank is full, ONLY that the overflow line is submerged. The vent, overflow line , usually a copper tube inside the tank needs to be at the highest point while the tank is level. Otherwise you can get overflow with next to no fuel in the tank. I've seen many planes with only 1/2 to 2/3s of a tankfull start overflowing.. If you do a search here on RCU for 2-line and 3-line fuel systems you'll see some diagrams of what I'm suggesting. but basically the fuel to engine line is just longenough to ALMOST reach the rear of the tank, typically silcone tubing with a "clunk" so that the fuel and the clunk end up in the same region of the tank, regardless of the planes orintation. The vent line (copper is bent upwards to the top of the tank when its level, often cut diagonally. Think of a "pointy" periscope
Hope this helps
Mike
Old 03-28-2008, 05:27 PM
meaden

My assumption is that it's a 2 line tank. In that case the "vent" should be at the highest point of the tank. And that line should connect to the muffler for back pressure.

In a 3 line tank there is a "filler" line that is only used to fill the tank. It should still "overflow" to the "vent" line.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM
pub

IC (intensive care) Yep, you are at the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pub
Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
General Lee Stupid

Unfortunately, contrary to the previous posts...OVERFLOW doesn't mean your tank is full, ONLY that the overflow line is submerged. The vent, overflow line , usually a copper tube inside the tank needs to be at the highest point while the tank is level.
True but that is as full as you are going to get it
Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Hi
As one who helps with the field and grass cutting I am glad to see mention of the etiquette of using catch or overflow tanks.
This may not be a big deal at every field but use one any time you visit other clubs or events. The drier the weather the more it makes a differnce at our field.