Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cutting mat

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Hawkeye
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting mat

Has anyone got a source for a self healing mat that is 48" long? I'm trying to cut long balsa sheets but I only have a shorter one. I'd like to cut this in one shot. Any ideas? Thanks,
...Steve
Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cutting mat

Check the sewing department at Wal-mart. I got one there about 7-8 years ago that I use all the time. I don't know if they still have them because I really haven't looked since I got mine. But that's where I got it at.

Ken
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: SHolby

Has anyone got a source for a self healing mat that is 48" long? I'm trying to cut long balsa sheets but I only have a shorter one. I'd like to cut this in one shot. Any ideas? Thanks,
...Steve
Any size you want at this site.

http://www.cutting-mats.net/
Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fabric stores have mats. Lots of them. Lots of sizes.

OK, now don't laugh. I know about this because my wife is a quilter and sews a lot. But...........

Almost every large town has at least one fabric store, and a lot of them seem to have the same sales gimmick. It seems almost universal that at least one store will offer a 50% off coupon every couple of weeks. She's always got one. Which is usually her excuse for "needing" to go there. Hey, I got no excuse that good for "needing" to swing by the LHS. So anyway, look in the Sat or Sun papers for an ad.

Those things are expensive and 50% off is worth the trouble. Plus the ad will tell you where the store is.

BTW, they have paint in small bottles that's usually half price too. Good for painting pilots and touch ups and such. Just painted the wheel wells of a Corsair with some. Was $1 a bottle marked down from $2.98.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Hawkeye

Thanks guys!,
I'll try the sewing department first, then online if I can't find it locally.
...Steve
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

SECOND the fabric stores
Take a look at the round fabic cutters while your in there. My wife can't find hers lately.. hmmm[:-]
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 AM
krossk

ORIGINAL: da Rock
OK, now don't laugh. I know about this because my wife is a quilter and sews a lot. But...........

...offer a 50% off coupon every couple of weeks. She's always got one. Which is usually her excuse for "needing" to go there. Hey, I got no excuse that good for "needing" to swing by the LHS.
In my case, my favorite LHS is 2 blocks from the fabric store. So when she "needs"(wants) to go, I just drop her off and go do my own shopping. It's sort of our own little system of checks and balances... (I write the checks and she balances!)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:25 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

If you've got a Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Store close, the sale ad for tomorrow through April 12 shows a 36" by 59" cutting mat for $39.99. Got one from them some time ago and they work great. They also have their 36" by 59" folding cutting table on sale for $59.99, normally $99.99. I use one of these tables when covering. When I don't need it, it folds up and rolls into the closet. Wife has one too and right now I get to use both of them!