Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What size of an engine for my Astro Hog?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What size of an engine for my Astro Hog?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:19 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size of an engine for my Astro Hog?

I just bought an Astro Hog and have been in the R/C hobby for about 5-6 years now and have fallen in love with 4-stroke engines. Would anyone have any suggestions what size of an engine to put on my Astro Hog? I am looking at some OS 70's or possibly a Saito 65 or 72. I for sure don't want it to be underpowered but $ for the engine is important also (trying not to invest a lot in this). Thanks for any input by anyone!

Trent
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
alfredbmor

Default RE: What size of an engine for my Astro Hog?

A four stroke 82 size is the minimum that I would use in the AstroHog IMHO, no less.
There are some 4 stroke engines on a good range price, look for a Magnum engine which is cheap but strong enough (91 size).

Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
tmenold
My Feedback: (17)

I do happen to have a Saito 100, brand new that I was going to put on my AT-6 Texan with a 6' wing span. I kinda put the Texan on the backburner b/c of other priorities...etc which would free it up so that I could use it if need be. Would this engine be perfect or too much of an engine to put on the Astro Hog? The Saito 100 seems like a HUGE engine to put on the Hog. The specs say to use a .60-.78 size 4 stroke that is why I'm wondering? Thanks for your input!

Trent
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tmenold

I do happen to have a Saito 100, brand new that I was going to put on my AT-6 Texan with a 6' wing span. I kinda put the Texan on the backburner b/c of other priorities...etc which would free it up so that I could use it if need be. Would this engine be perfect or too much of an engine to put on the Astro Hog? The Saito 100 seems like a HUGE engine to put on the Hog. The specs say to use a .60-.78 size 4 stroke that is why I'm wondering? Thanks for your input!

Trent
The 100 is too big. I would do the 72 or 82.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

The magnum 91 is a great option. Good priced, dependable sport engine that runs on low nitro. I think that engine was designed for the hog.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tmenold

I just bought an Astro Hog and have been in the R/C hobby for about 5-6 years now and have fallen in love with 4-stroke engines. Would anyone have any suggestions what size of an engine to put on my Astro Hog? I am looking at some OS 70's or possibly a Saito 65 or 72. I for sure don't want it to be underpowered but $ for the engine is important also (trying not to invest a lot in this). Thanks for any input by anyone!

Trent
[8D]I fly mine with an OS 70 FS II. Perfect size.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 AM
huggins

I use a Saito .72 in mine and I feel that it is perfect for the sport flying and putting around that I use it for. I like to fly it slowly with just enough throttle to perform the manuever that I am doing. I rarely go full throttle. It has plenty of power but does not have unlimited vertical by any means. But the Hog, in my opinion, is not that kind of an airplane to begin with. If you want insane power and extreme aerobatic potential, rather than putting a huge motor on your Hog.... buy an Extra, Yak, whatever...[8D] Yeh, I got that kind of stuff too.

Mike
Old 04-22-2008, 03:02 PM
carrellh

Mine (RIP) had an OS 70 Surpass I. It weighed just under 8 pounds. It would take off at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle from a grass field. It would pull a really big round loop and I never thought it was underpowered.

My brother has one with an OS or Magnum 91. It is not overpowered. It has stronger vertical climb than mine had but that's about the only difference.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:26 PM
chashint

The 100 will not be to much engine for the Astro Hog.
If you already have the 60 class Saito try it, it will certainly fly the plane. If you are going to buy something I would go with at least a 70 class four stroke.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
rctrax

I have hog with a 70 on it right now and it flys great with plenty of power. It originaly had a os 91 on it and it was awsome. This was actually the second hog I had' the first had the os90 which was destroyed when it crashed.I went right out and bought another and another os.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

The Thunder Tiger 75 4-stroke would be a good fit too and it's not that bad price wise either.