Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Looking For A Good Second Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Looking For A Good Second Plane

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 02:37 AM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking For A Good Second Plane

Hi I am still pretty new in this hobby, but I am trying to find a good second plane. Currently I have an Avistar and I think I am getting pretty good with it as long as I can get rid of my nervousness. I was kind of looking more toward the low wing planes. One of the guys from the flying club that I am getting ready to join recommended the Lanier Stinger .40 or .60 size. He said it was a good second plane that flew like a trainer. Could anybody tell me if the stinger is a good second plane or not, or what plane would be a good one for me. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:30 AM
bsumpter

Goldberg Tiger Series (any of them).

Low wing planes that fly like a dream and slow down to near trainer speed for landing. Trike gear to make takeoffs / landings easier, and overall just a great design.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Iflyrc4fun
My Feedback: (132)

#1 Bruce Thorp Venture 60,
#2 Sig four Star 60
#3 Goldberg Tiger 60

All of these are great second planes that can fly like a trainer or with turned up rates and experience have many aerobatic capabilities.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:50 PM
JCaste

I would recommend you either the Jupiter (.40-.53) or the Carosel (.58-.65, more aerobatic), whose manufacturer is ARC. This are the reasons based on my experience (I own a Jupiter) that make the Jupiter a good 2nd plane:

1-Handling: you can perform any kind of aerobatics (not 3D) easily. However, its profile (semi simetric) and its constant chord wings, make it a good glider, so deadsticks are easy to solve.

2-Price: its quite cheap, it cost me about 137$.

3-Quality & durability: the wings are made of thick foam, covered with a thick layer of plastic, and its hinges are reinforced with carbon fiber. The entire plane is built in ABS plastic, but weights less than 6 lbs. I've personally seen the incredible amount of damage this plane can absorb, and when a repair has to be made, it's easy to do. I've seen a Jupiter flying like new after repairing it from a crash in which it got its wing cut by a heli.
Furthermore, ther's plenty of space inside to put the radio gear and what's more, it looks like a real plane!
Hey, if someone just though about it, I don't work for them I'm just a happy customer :rainfro:
Old 05-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Mustang Man-RCU

Another vote for the Goldberg Tiger series.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:38 AM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for all of your help guys I still don't know what plane I am going to get next but at least I have some ideas.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:45 AM
Tattoo

as long as I can get rid of my nervousness
Check out the Spad topic here and you may consider a Spad as a second plane. Dirt cheap, who cares what it looks like, and the nervousness is suddenly taken out of the picture. Fly the daylights out of it without any EDF (emotional debt factor), get really good...and then spend a lot of time and mony on plane #3 and have the skills and confidence to fly it
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a bid advocate of durability in a second plane. Don't be so anxious to loose the rubber bands! Remember, a second plane means you know just enough to be dangerous. You're stepping up from a trainer. You're about to START learning the next step. There WILL be accidents.

Look for:
A semi-symmetrical airfoil and rubber banded wings.

And while I don't often recommend SPADs, this is a very good time to try one.

You have learned to crawl. Now learn to walk before you start running.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Spaceclam

I have gone through several planes, (not into the ground but by experiance) and have picked out one plane in particular. the great planes easy sport .40. It has a lot of perks, here are some of the most prominant. #1. The color scheme is very different, top and bottom, colorwise AND pattern wise so you always know which way it is facing. #2 It can be either a tail dragger, or a tricycle gear. for a second plane, I would recomend tricycle first. Later, when you get good and want to experiance a tail dragger, it is not at all difficcult to convert. #3 It has large control surfaces considering it is mid-wing. For a second plane, i would recomend a mid-wing as opposed to a low wing for several reasons. One prominant reason is the fact that it will be an incredible shock to you how much less stable low wings are compared to a trainer, and second, if you have a rough landing, (seemingly more common for those newer to the sport) low wings get their wing tips scratched and chipped easier. The easy sport is far more capable than a trainer, in fact, i have even done torque rolls in it! Yet it still maintains a low stall speed, does not buffet at stall, does not roll to the side at stall like some low-wing planes do, and lastly, glides fairly well. It also has very little dihedral, (around two degrees unlike ten for some trainers) and therefore does not require pressure from the sticks to keep it in the desired attutude. and lastly, but not leastly, it's rolls are not as lopsided as a trainers tend to be, and requires very little down elevator pressure to fly upside down and is capable of knife edges.
good luck