Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Saito 125 problems, need advise

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Saito 125 problems, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 PM
jay2000dakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 125 problems, need advise

I bought a new saito 125 at teldeo expo this year, it ran perfect through the break in which I followed by the manual to a tee. I then leaned the motor to 4 turns out. it is still rich but has good throttle response and power, the low end was far to rich for good idle (about 2000 rpm). I left the high end and leaned the low end by qaurter turn, now when i throttle up slowly at full throttle it back fires and quits. I cleaned the carb out and tried again and no change, Ive been told to send it to Saito. I have it in a CG Ultimate using large I.D glow fuel line on the carb line and small on the vent.Can anyone help me?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:01 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: Saito 125 problems, need advise

Unlean the low end again. If it was working why adj the low end. All the Saito's I have had required a lot more running time to run in than what the instructions said. Do not adj the low end untill the high end is adj. You said your self that it was still rich on the high end, so you will not be able to set the low end untill the high end is correct.

Or check out [link=http://www.saito-engines.info/]Saito Setup and Tuning[/link]

CARB ADJUSTMENTS

It is assumed here that if you have a new engine you have already run it at low rpm (4000 maximum) at the rich setting as explained in the instruction manual; this rich low-rpm setting should be used for 15-20 minutes. The final carb mixture settings can then be done as explained below, however 40 - 50 minutes subsequent run time (after the intial 15-20 minutes on a new engine) will probably be necessary to get a final setting with a low idle rpm..
The objective is to get the leanest possible low-speed needle setting such that the engine does not quit when you quickly advance from lowest throttle idle to about 1/2 throttle, and also will not quit when quickly advanced from idle to full throttle. Remember - you are adjusting the fuel mixture setting with the low-speed needle to get reliable operation - you must not consider adjusting the low speed needle to set the low-speed rpm. The value of the idle rpm is set with the throttle stick on your transmitter full back and then adjusting the throttle trim on your transmitter - initially don’t try setting this too low or else the engine may quit because the engine is getting too little of the fuel-air mixture and not because the mixture is wrong. Set the transmitter trim for about 2200-2400 idle rpm speed for a new engine (or whatever value you feel is reliable). After about 40 minutes time on a new engine I can usually get a good reliable idle of about 2100-2300 rpm with some variation between engines; this is enough time on a new engine to carefully begin flying. After 2 or 3 gallons of fuel you should be able to get a new engine to run reliably a bit lower rpm in the 2000 rpm range and still accelerate to full throttle without quitting. However, the throttle and idle performance will depend on your prop, fuel, and how carefully you set it up the needles. Most models will land quite well with an idle rpm in the range 2200-2500 so don’t get too ambitious trying to for a super low idle speed.
From Satio's web site
(b) Low-Speed Mixture: The low-speed needle should already be set about right (ie somewhat rich) for new engines as they come out of the box. If unsure about the initial setting adjust the needle so that the top is flush with the throttle arm level; this is good starting point for all engines except the Saito-30. For the Saito-30 turn the low-speed mixture all the way in, then turn it out 4 1/2 turns; this is a good starting point for that engine.

For the following procedures a tachometer is highly recommended although not absolutely necessary for setting the final carb mixture settings. If it is your first four-stroke engine you should get a tachometer. before you go any further.
Cheers
Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would agree with the longer than normal break in time. But the good news is that once you have it broken in, nothing better then a purring Saito 4 cycle. Put the low end back where it was and as mentioned get the high end where it needs to be and then adjust the low speed. Good Luck, Dave
Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There 1.25 takes A lot more run time to break in then the instructions say. After it gets broken in on the ground it still runs fat compared to other engines I have broken in. After it has been flown A lot it can be leaned out better but until it is fully broken in you are just chasing the needles. It took me over A gallon of fuel run through the engine before it was broken in enough to really start dialing in.
Nice engine and I had no dead sticks with it during the fat break in during flying, lots of power too.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Jester241

4 turns out is still way too rich to run right. If fact its likely in that wierd zone where it barely starts when you have the throttle wide open like when you started it during break ins,yet its too rich to transfer from idel. I had this same issure for a few moments while breaking in mine. If you've got a few tanks run through it following the manual,go ahead and lean out the main jet more like 3 turns out. At this point it should start to transfer from idle to full throttle and yet still be on the rich side. Once its pretty much broke in,I think it will be about 2.5 turns out or so.

I've been told that backfiring happens when unburnt fuel is igniting too late. Chances are when you throttling up and the engine starts to transfer from its low speed needle to its high speed needle,its flooding itself at about 1/2 throttle and the excess fuel is exploding as its being pushed out the exhaust. And then its flooded and dies. Or,its really late here and I dont know WHAT the heck I'm talking about,lol (good chance).

And I HIGHLY doubt you should have touched that low speed needle. About everyone I've heard talk about this engine including myself have NEVER touched it.....ever. Put it back to about where it was and lean your high speed needle alittle and I'm sure you'll see a whole new motor!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
scratchonly

I believe backfiring occurs when a lean mixture ignites too soon, trying to drive the piston back down before reaching TDC.[][]
Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
heysparkyman

The one I have is a 115. I get fuel in the crankcase and it sprays out the vent. Whats up with that? Needless to say the fuel comsumption is bad.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:52 PM
heysparkyman

The one I have is a 115. I get fuel in the crankcase and it sprays out the vent. Whats up with that? Needless to say the fuel comsumption is bad.