Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico TorqMaster 90 & Powercore Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hobbico TorqMaster 90 & Powercore Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico TorqMaster 90 & Powercore Question

I've had the Hobbico TorqMaster 90 starter and Powercore MKII 12-Volt Battery Pack for about 6 years. I bought the Unit at my LHS along with the Hobbico charger.

The first battery I had which I think came with the unit was a GS Portalac PE12V1.2 (Made in Taiwan). This battery worked GREAT for about 4 to 5 years then it started to loose power. I ordered a battery from my LHS and got it in Oct of '07. It is a Prizm by CSB tech (made in China). This battery never worked well at all. I had it too long to take back to the LHS, but the unit never had any torqe and could only start an engine that had been running already that day - and after about 5 or so starts it was dead. I wanted to get another Portalac, but ended up with another China brand from Universal power group (I'm not saying China ones are better or worse than any other, I'm just giving all the info hoping to solve my problem). I was worried about over charging the batteries (the instructions say to not charge them more than 12 to 14 hours, so I only charged it about 5 hours (it must have had a little juice as it would spin the starter).

I only charged this battery 5 hours, but it still has no torque whatsoever. It can't even spin a 4C that has already ran. It is probably not a wise thing to do, but if you hold the cone in your hand and hit the start button, there is no torque at all.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. I REALLY liked this unit when I first got it with the Portalac battery. It would start anything cold or hot and continue easily thru long days of flying.

I suspect that I have a battery problem, but I also don't know if the starter has lost torque or my charger is not functioning properly?

Any help appreciated.

Jeff

Old 05-25-2008, 07:28 AM
BillyGoat

Default RE: Hobbico TorqMaster 90 & Powercore Question

How are you connecting the starter to the power? Are you using a power panel or are you hooking up directly to the battery?

If you’re using a power panel something in that unit could be creating a resistance and not allowing enough amps to drive the starter. An easy test would be to hook up directly to the battery and see if the torque improves.

What I have done in the past is hooked my starter to my truck’s batter, it will certainly provide enough amps. If you still can’t get good torque you know it’s the starter.

Lastly; 5 hours is not enough of a charge on a brand new battery.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Goinstraightup

No power panel. This is the unit that has the portable 12V 1.2 amp/hr battery right connected under the starter.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of engine are you starting. The bigger, the more current it needs. You need to know what kind of current capacity the original battery started with. I use a separate garden tractor battery and cable setup so I have no idea what kind of current capacity you need in a standalone setup. But generally speaking, with nicd or nimh you can charge beyond the rated capacity by 30% or so. Stay away from lipo's for a starter, too much risk in my opinion. Just need to ask the obvious, do you understand how to calculate charge time based on your battery with a given charger?
Edwin
Old 05-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Goinstraightup

I've added pics of the starter, charger and the Portalac and Prizm batteries.

On the 5 hour charge, I guess I should have charged it more, but I was afraid that I was over charging my batteries.

When the unit worked great with the Portalac battery, I usually charged overnight before flying. Here's the specs from the manual:
Battery.......... 12 Volt 1.2 Ah
Charge rate.... 120 mA
Charge time.... 12 to 14 hours

Charging (from the manual):
"Always charge your Power Core for 12-14 hours before using. Hobbico charger is available..... look for the LED to be lit....
Note: This is a fixed rate charger and should not be left charging for more than 14 hours. Other chargers may be used provided they do not exceed a charge rate of 120 mA."

I'll give it a 12 hour charge and see how this new Universal Power Group battery performs. Also, I will unplug the leads to the battery and carefully take my jumper cables to a car battery and see if it works fine with that. I assume it will.

** I have been only starting .25 to .50 2C engines. Nothing bigger. When the unit worked good for 4-5 years nothing was a problem.

** Since this unit has been working bad, I have been starting my planes with a regular car battery and a Sullivan starter with regular spring clamps to go on the car battery. I would like to get the portable starter working again so I could be back on the flight line and not tied to my car. (I don't use a power panel, I just use the starter and hand held glow ignighters)

Thanks for the comments so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67384.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	956394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16555.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	956395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek15290.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	956396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25142.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	956397  
Old 05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're on the right track. If the long charge doesnt work, then you probably got a crappy battery. Tower sells a battery pack adapter that should work for your starter. It should hold C cell or so sized batteries which would let you install batteries with more capacity. 1.2 amps isnt that much. You would want to use a different charger though. Something along the line of a variable rate smarter charger. Will get you much longer times between charges and you wouldnt have to monitor it. But since your engines are on the smaller side you may not want to. Your call though.
Edwin
Old 05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Goinstraightup

I disconnected the leads to the battery on the unit and I used jumper cables and hooked up the unit to a car battery. It worked pretty good. I could still hold back the cone, but I would say the torque was at least 2X more than the unit battery.

I charged the battery on the unit for 12 hours and it is better, but still not great - now where near as good as the car battery. I think for now I will just have to get by with the unit the way it is. I wish it worked as well as when it was new.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
alfredbmor

Your Battery is 1.3 amp.
If your charger is rated at 120 mAH then you should charge it 15 hours.
Your second battery is 1.2 amp.
With the same charger you should charge it 14 hours.

The first charge is the most important of all, you are breaking in your battery (Like break in an engine), in batteries the first charge should be slow and for a long period.
(1.2 amp battery with a 120 mah charger for about 16 hours)

I hope this helps
Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Ed Smith

The Sullivan starter in the picture is over thirty years old. I have replaced the Nicads several times. I have now installed a 4cell, 14.8v 1500mah Lithium Battery by wiring up two 2cell, 7.4v 1500mah Lithium batteries. It now has more power than ever before.

No cables, No fuss, No mess, The only way to go.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81617.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	958112