Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Bending oleo struts

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Bending oleo struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:13 PM
RVman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bending oleo struts

Hi, I just maidened a FW190 today and after two smooth landings and subsequent taxiing the one gear leg has bent pretty bad. The retract units and struts are spring air and are 3/8" dia. The plane is a .60 size, 65" ws and weighs about 10.5 lbs. These gear have the scale 74 degree retraction angle and they are long at 7". What can i do to keep these from bending so easily, they are expensive!
thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67757.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	970657  
Old 06-15-2008, 08:11 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Bending oleo struts

I have found that if your landings are smooth as they should be and the struts bend a little then you need to next size up struts. At lest that is what works for me.
Pat
Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
RVman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

figured []. Is there anything else i could do in the meantime? I was thinking putting a solid wire inside or a sleeve to fit over the outside of the strut to try to strengthen it. The retracts are bored for 3/8", so how would I fit a 7/16 strut in?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bore the retract hole to 7/16". If you do not have a drill press, take the retracts out of the plane and bring them to a machine shop and have the hole enlarged.

I suggest having the hole bored to 29/64" to allow easier insertion of the strut.