Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Wheel tensioner to keep a plane from rolling.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wheel tensioner to keep a plane from rolling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel tensioner to keep a plane from rolling.

For those of you out there who fly at a field with asphalt runways, im sure you already have noticed that your really light 3d plane with an over sized engine doesn't like to sit still on the tarmac, you probably also noticed that it can be difficult bringing it to a stop when landing.

Well these are things that i have recently noticed with my new 25% YAK. Are there any solutions to this problem? It really makes me uncomfortable essentially having a run away plane on the ground, and i hate hafting to kill the motor the second i land.

I was thinking of a system that would keep the wheels under slight constant tension, just enough to keep the plane from pulling forward under idle. With a 3d plane i imagine you'd have plenty of power to overtake the tension in the wheel on takeoff.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and im sure there is already a solution out there, But i didn't know what to search for.

I came up with this design, what do you guys think? Are their better solutions out there?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:54 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wheel tensioner to keep a plane from rolling.

Try a piece of fuel tubing between the wheel and collar. You really have to be careful and tension both wheels the same. If one turns more freely than the other, it could create handling problems, especially on landing. If both are too tight, it could nose over easily.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

maybe i should just try tensioning the tail wheel.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:26 AM
jetmech05

I fly off asphalt, learned on grass. the beast and easiest way is the fuel tube method mentioned above...tail whell only isn't that effective..do the mains leave the tail wheel alone
Good Luck
Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 AM
BillyGoat

Scriptt, I think your idea will work fine. Nice part is you can experiment with different springs and adjustment is easy by moving the wheel collar. The idea I had while reading your post was similar but using a thin, washer instead that is somewhat bent or dished. I have some but have no idea where they come from or what they came off of.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 AM
turdfergerson

A few guys at my field use O rings for static breaking works for them.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the drag on the tail wheel is a better solution. We did it that way 50 years ago.
For a trike-geared plane, snubbing the nose wheel works OK.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly off a 500' asphalt runway and have never had stopping issues with any of my models, including ballistic pattern aircraft and a 33% Pitts. How long is your runway? Are you sure you're not just landing too fast?

What are you're engines idling at? Any glow engine should be able to idle at 1800-2000 and gas from 1600-1800. If you idle here you shouldn't be rolling unless you're runway has a fairly steep slope to it.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drag on the tail wheel (for tail draggers) is the best way to go. You can even set it up so that the drag only works at full up elevator. Putting it on the main gear is usually a problem in getting both sides to brake evenly resulting in some unwanted ground loops. On trike gear, put it on the nose wheel and have it operate only with full down elevator.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 PM
jetmech05

don't use washers against the wheel hub...the washer will quickly wear the hub away...I stand by my orginial post..it works for me and I never loop aplanes over on landing...yes the drag needs to be the same on both wheels..that's not hard to set...