Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Plane for Windy Conditions?!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Plane for Windy Conditions?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:55 PM
KINGX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane for Windy Conditions?!

Hi to all,

I have flown so far many and various types of models and i still quite have not found one that can handle highly windy conditions with confidence. I am not into sailplanes, so i am looking for a glow model that i can take to the field when the rest of my planes are grounded because of high winds. Mind you that i do fly pattern planes and they are my favorite ones for flying in windy situations but i am looking for a plane that is not pattern and can fly better in high winds! Does such a plane exist?! Please let me know if it does!

Your suggestions and advice are really appreciated.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Live Wire

Default RE: Plane for Windy Conditions?!

KINGX
We fly large trainers here like the SIG Senior Kadet, With a few mods and flatten out the wing a little with larger tires to make the CG lower with a wide stance.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bigger and heavier works better in the wind from what I have experienced.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
EZer

For me it dont really matter about the wind, I say the wind is your friend. For an easy flying plane in the wind is the P51, I fly them fast and land them fast its alot of fun.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:01 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Sig Kougar. Flys great in up to 30 knots of wind and lands easily to.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 AM
jetmech05

heavier and bigger work for me
Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

SPADS (Simple Plastic Airplane Design). They tend to be heavier, but they are brutally tough. No they don't have the scale appearance, but when you want to fly in higher winds, you can't beat 'em.

Brad
Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Villa

Hello KINGX
From your original question you apparently know that the best plane for high winds is a pattern plane. You also know that high winds can be unpredictable and will occasionaly smash a plane into the ground. What you need is a tough plane, one that can survive being beaten into th ground. All of my SPAD planes are that tough. I fly my SPAD Twin Tail in any wind I can safely stand up in. See http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7019698

I find that if I am not worrying about smashing the plane I can better fly in high and gusting winds and have a very good time.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 PM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll second the Sig Kougar. Flew it in windy conditions many times.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For just Plane Fun I like the Sr. Telemaster, you can get it to fly backwards.
I don't have A Telemaster any longer so I reach for my old Bridi Kaos 60 with the OS .91 FS on it. Wind doesn't bother it much at all unless it's A very strong cross wind and then only when landing but that would bother any plane built.
I have noticed that none of the Extras I have ever flown were bothered by the wind too much either.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

My turbine is hardly affected by winds. Heck, I look forward to windy days! It makes it easier to land .

Jim
Old 06-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Villa

Hi racer8297
I'm interested in a turbine also, but have never had one. Can you explain how/why the turbine is better in high, erratic winds as compared to a regular prop plane? Does the turbine accelerate the plane as fast as a prop plane in order to get out of a bad condition during a landing?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 AM
racer8297

There are a few reasons why it is better in the wind. First, the wing loading is less than most prop planes. The airframe is cleaner, the wings thinner, etc. Generally, for their relative size the jets are heavier. These characteristics of jets make them more stable in the wind. When landing, a good 20mph headwind makes the landing slower and easier, instead of squirrely like a lightly loaded prop plane.

I am flying the Reaction 54 which is a kit from Bruce Tharpe Engineering. He aslo has an ARF version. The Reaction slows to a crawl for landing yet with the right motor (Jetcat P70 in mine) it will go 170 mph. It is also good for a grass field, which is what I fly from.

No, a turbine does not supply thrust like a prop plane. You have to "set up" for landing well in advance. You have to keep the revs up as you are on final. If all looks good when you cross the runway threshold, you chop the throttle and it settles in. And, you must not push the nose down, a jet will pick up speed in an instant. If you have to do a go around, you need to decide early on. Once you throttle up to full throttle from say 1/4 throttle, it can take every bit of 4 or 5 seconds to actually have enough thrust to abort a missed approach.

It is a different way of flying. You need to anticipate more. But once you get used to it, maybe 10 flights if you are an otherwise experienced pilot, you will love it. No vibration, great sound, feeling of power, and you will know that you have reached the top of the hobby.

Good luck, let us know if you have any questions.

Jim
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Villa

Hi racer8297
Thanks for a very good explanation.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:23 AM
racer8297

Your welcome Villa. Once you go down that road there is no turning back. Welcome to the dark side!

Jim
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kangke SK-50. It will weathervane a bit with that big rudder but I had flown this model in 40 mph gusts and it shrugged them off. You need something with a symmetrical wing chord and some weight (wing loading).

The G.P. Big Stiks are also good wind resistors.

If you are up for a build the Contender 60 bucks the wind pretty well. Thick, narrow wing with no dihedral. It just goes where you point it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62245.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	978642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51766.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	978643  
Old 06-27-2008, 01:04 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a "beater plane" tmpro 250 for windy days... it hets tossed around in the win... but i find it fun doing harrier type landings.... it keeps my thumbs sharp