Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spektrum and Horizon Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spektrum and Horizon Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
skyracer068

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum and Horizon Hobby

I have finally had it with Spektrum. I have been a modeler for 20+ years and have been flying Futaba for all of it. Last year after getting tired of park flyers who fly with in a 3 mile radius of our field with not a care in the world, I decided to convert my Futaba Cap Super to Spektrum by using their module. I HAVE CRASHED MORE AIPLANES DUE TO LOCK OUTS WITH THE SPEKTRUM MODULE than I have over my 20+ years of modeling. I have spoke with Horizon and Castle to discuss the problems with Spektrum in electric aircraft and helis after losing my Trex. I bought that stupid "fix all" little capacitor with the hope this would fix the problem. My Alfa Mig-15 crashed 2 days later. I removed all the AR6100e from my models after my EF-16 plowed in and installed full range AR6200 receivers and Castle BEC to fix the problem. I lost my T-28 and a pattern plane with this combination.
I understand there are a lot of people in this world who try to get everything for free. I'm sure Horizon gets pummeled with angry phone calls 365 days of the year from deceitful customers who are claiming questionable warranties. I want to remedy this problem without insinuations that question my flying ability. I would like to receive a response from Horizon in a reasonable time.
I have spent $240.00 for the module to lose thousands. I have bought bigger and better receivers to lose more. In the 20+ years of modeling, this was the first time I threw a radio after a crash. I’ve had it. According to Horizon, I am encountering a unique and rare problem. Well, FIX IT! I would like to speak with an executive from Horizon Hobby to discuss the issues I have been having. How many other modelers out there are having the same problems? This letter was written as a last resort.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 PM
rtstestpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Spektrum and Horizon Hobby

Hi skyracer068, sorry for your losses. I too have a Spectrum; a DX7 to be exact. In the beginning of my using the radio I had a plane lock out and amazingly enough, it went into circling pattern with just a little up elevator. There was a light breeze, 5-8 MPH, so it started gaining altitude ever so slightly and heading to the northeast and the same time. Well, to make a long story short, we followed it about 9 miles before we lost sight of it. It was estimated to be upwards of a couple thousand feet while using binoculars when it went in the clouds never to be seen again. Kinda cool actually. I called Horizon and was told that it went into lock out and if I had load tested the craft prior to flying it. These original receivers go into lock out when they hit 3.5 volts and stay there for about 4 seconds. The newer ones only lock out for 1 second which is still enough time to hit the ground. I had checked the battery and all was correct on my part at least mostly. The battery was at 4.7 for the last flight but I had used all the servos at once on the fateful last manuever supposedly dropping the voltage for a moment to the threshold. Well, since then I always use at least a 1000MAh or larger battery or even preferably 6 volt battery in my planes and have never had a problem yet. I'm talking hundreds of hours later without so much as a glitch. The funny thing about the lost plane is I was using the low amp battery and the 4 digital servos that came with the transmitter. Never again. Overall, I am very impressed with my Spectrum but was not so impressed with the customer service I had received about my problem. I would have the unit tested by them to make sure that it is OK and if it is, go with the higher AMh and/or voltage batteries and monitor the battery condition as you use them. Just to be safe, I wouldn't fly below 4.8 volts on a 4.8 volt battery. My 6 volt systems run for days not to mention the extra power and speed. Sorry once again for your losses but don't give up on the 2.4's no matter what the brand, they ARE worth it. Todd
Old 06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
skyracer068

All of my losses were electric aircraft. All of my nitro planes seem to work flawless. I'm not flying them now untill I get this resolved. I couldn't bear to loose a couple of YS 140s and a 170. Thanks for your concern.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91213.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	976174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50811.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	976175  
Old 06-22-2008, 07:20 PM
rtstestpilot
My Feedback: (2)

I'd be willing to bet good money that you are drawing down the peak voltage during your flights. You could even go with a dual battery system so that your receiver power isn't jeopardized. If you can figure out how to test the power supplied to your receiver when running the motor as well as with all the servoes under load and see if it drops below the 3.5 I think you would be money ahead. Todd
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last year I saw over A half dozen planes go in with the pilots using there new DX7 radios. My student lost his plane too due to A lock out. It wasn't A low battery either, the batter was checked before and after the crash.
Back then if you were holding the radio the wrong way it lost signal, that little radio antenna had to be set at A 90 degree angle or you lost signal and signal lock out was 4 to 6 seconds.
They replaced the RX with the new super duper one second lock out but how does A kid replace his very own first plane and A discontinued kit??
I'm still happy with my 9-C and FM, I will change over after about the third generation of the 2.4 after they work out the bugs.
This season I'm not seeing any of those nasty locks outs yet so maybe they have the problem worked out??
Old 06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
NuttyPilot
My Feedback: (1)

I manage a hobby shop and have seen lots of different reasons for warranty issues to come my way. Unfortunately you get a better response from Horizon as a consumer than I do as a manager. I have also been using FM for 21 years. I sell Spectrum radios and havent had much problems in the last 4-5 months. Prior to that, I had seen them quite often. I watched more planes using 2.4 go down since being invented, than all my years flying FM. There are new versions with the "lock out" recievers coming out, and have been out. I think the problem is getting fixed.

The funny thing is, you dont really know what the hell happened with your 2.4 system, unless Horizon checks it out, if they do at all. I will stick with my FM. I have a JR 9303 w/Synthisized Module, and run PCM on most of my recievers. It would cost me a fortune to change all my planes to DSM, as I have about 8 9CH 649's($159.99), 10 of the 7CH PCM(89.99) Scan Select and tons of PPM recievers. When you have a problem with FM, someone turned on thier radio, you didnt charge your batter, something came loose, easy stuff to trouble shoot.

2.4? You definately dont know. I would say, DONT USE A MODULE!! They act differently with Spectrum recievers that say the DX7, internal Module. (which is a fantastic radio now)

Good luck and the more people that buy the 2.4 the happier I am. Less dummys to worry about getting on my channels!!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
skyracer068

AMEN!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 AM
jetmech05

this is one reason I'm staying 72 for a while
Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Guys I sell and use Spektrum. I travel alot and have never seen what is stated here. To Skyracer, I bet it's got something to do with Castle not Spektrum. This question has come up before. Just look at the JoNall 400 pilots 19 on Fm no problem. The heli fest last fall at Muncie 700 pilots 23 on FM no problem. Here at our jet meet in June 44 pilots 3 on FM again no problems. To Nuttypilot, I have even talked to the CEO of Horizon for a customer. you need to ask for more phone numbers. Almost to the one all problems have been in electric and the set-up and the consumer not understanding the system. All we get is second hand information. To Graybeard, was the battery checked with a loaded volt meter, did you use a data logger before and after the "lock out"? did it go into fail-safe as it should?
Information and understanding is what makes a system work. I see little of that in this thread. By the way I now fly both JR and Futaba. I use both in my GS and soon in a turbine with no worry except me messing up. Dennis
Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Stick 40

How was the ant. installed? The two ant's should be away from each other and perpenducual (sp) to each other. If there metal in the planes thats a problem. If your having trouble with just the elect. you may need to move the ant. back away from the high voltage. I had a lot of interferance with my first elect plane and my new JR 9303. I move the ant. back away from the high voltage, I put it half way back under the decking and the interference went away.

Also 2.4 is line of sight and any metal will cause a problem, even with my glow engines I move the ant away from the motor.

Another thing is this module and getting into 2.4 for less than a full system , how much was the loss of planes?????? I am sorry you lost planes, I know I would not like to loose some of mine.

If it is a problem with the module, it would be nice to know others could learn from this.

But we need more info about installation, etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Seems to me that 2.4 has been oversold! Difficult installations and somewhat easy for the radio to malfunction, or in some cases just stop working. A lot of reports of failures of some kind and to dismiss them all is just not realistic. Sold as interfearance free and providing a solid link, should read maybe or sometimes. That is if we have met a long list of did you do this or check that! At our flying field we have pilots flying 2.4 that have upgraded batteries and voltage regulators, dual battery setups and so on. We should not have to become crash analizers to understand why our model aircraft crashed. I own a Spectrum 2.4 and have used it only on small park flyers. Still to worried to put it in a gasser. FM pilots show up at the field and fly, dumb thumb crashes and they know why. I myself have not experienced a radio related crash that I can remember. Looks like the smart money is still with FM and let everyone else beta test a new technology that may someday prove to be all it is advertised as.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Stick 40

I have the JR 9303 and am slowly putting all my planes on it. The only problem I have had is the first elect. plane and I had glitchs because the reciever was too close to the ESC and Bat. There are problems with 72 FM and placement, the ant. need to be stretched out and not bent back onto itself , etc, etc. we all have learned to do what we need to to make the 72's work. Its like a no brainer now, we just do it without thinking about it. If someone turns on thier radio on my freq. and shoots me down that is a problem with 72. Like the guy said Park flyers in the area were shooting him down. 2.4 is not perfect, there will be a learning curve too it, but 72 is not free of problems. If I forget to get the pin and shoot someone down, its a problem for me.

There is one more thing about elect and 2.4 if the wires for the esc and any others in the high voltage can be twisted, it will cut down no interference. I guess it nulls out the field of energy from the wires.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:28 PM
skyracer068

I received a call a from Spektrum engineer ( not one of those customer service reps who read the manual back to you ) and discussed the problems I have been having in great detail. Through our pleasant conversation, I am very satisfied with the outcome. It was very nice to speak with someone who not only knows the system very well but, designed it. Thank you all for your input.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Stick 40

OK,

what was the out come???????

you have had a problem and they solved it, care to fill us in. I have the 2.4 and am interested in issues and how they are resolved.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:56 AM
skyracer068

I never said they solved it. All of my spektrum equipment will be sent in for testing and or replacement.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Stick 40

Hope it works out , still would like to know what they come up with.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Adui

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting thread.. I am glad I DIDN'T Read it before I bought my DX6i.

Im new to Spektrum, but I have to say in the month or so I have owned it I have had zero issues. Installation was easy, and flight control has been flawless. I do have one of the newer recievers that only locks out for 1 second when rebooting, but I avoid this by simply not flying when my RX battery gets to 4.8 volts. With the 2700mAh battery I have I get a full day of flying out of my trainer and still have power to spare.

I would go with the recommendation of the 5 cell battery for anyone buying one, just to be safe. I didnt because the 4 cell ihave is brand new, bought for the old 72Mhz RX I had in it. When I put that RX in my next plane, I will likely buy a 5 cell battery for the Spektrum and put the 4 cell into my new one.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Stick 40

Hi,

Just pay attention to how you install the recievers and you should not have a problem. I am moving mine back away from the engine and elect. motors. They are lite and I don't think they will cause me much of a problem with balance. The elect. mini recievers weight is even less.

With the two reciever sets put them as fare away from each other as possable and have the small Ant. perpendiular to each other . I am learning also , and this is a great place to share problems and ideas and solutions.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dad, yes to the voltage being checked with A loaded volt meter and no to being checked with A data logger or flight log.
This was over 7 months ago and what I have seen in the last couple of months after the ??recall?? I guess we will call it that, A quiet one though, is A lack of the past problems.
The new improoved RXs and Spektrum/Horizon suggesting people go to A 6 volt system seems to have helped A lot.
I'm only flying from two different sites now so I won't be seeing as many problems as I once did even if they were still happening. I hope these little glitches have been fixed.