Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What is a good gas engine to get

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is a good gas engine to get

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 01:22 AM
briankenney91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good gas engine to get

Hi I just bought a Bud Nolsen P-51 Mustang kit off of this website. The plane has a 102" wingspan if that helps anybody out. I haven't gotten it yet but I was wondering which would be a good gas engine for this plane. The guy said it rquires a little smaller than a 45cc and will go as big as a 62cc. Does anybody have a good suggestion for an engine and engine size? This is my first big plane so I have no experience with gas engines in planes.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Giant Scale

I think I would size the engine based on the weight of the plane. If you go by what the guy recommends something in the 50cc-60cc range should work fine. I would go with 3w,da or zdz. These engines are light weight and make plenty of horsepower. There is probably nothing wrong with using a bigger engine as long as you use proper throttle management. Take a look at www.rcwarbirds.com you should be able to find models similar to yours. You may also want to post this in the warbirds or giantscale forum.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:25 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very old kit design and therefore must have changes made to support the power and vibration of todays gas engines. If your not up to determining and making the necessary changes find some help before going too far.

RCPAUL
Old 05-14-2003, 03:26 PM
briankenney91

Thanks for your help guys.