Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Do Women Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Women Fly?

I'm new t RC this year.
I joined a club and have made 16 flights so far.
I have been to 3 fun fly events.
I have yet to see a woman flying?

How many are there?

Pops

Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Do Women Fly?

"Do Women Fly?"
My experience shows they aren't very aerodynamic but with enough power they look good in the air.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
perreback

Good one.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes they do.
Mary Poppins is one such example [sm=shades_smile.gif]

More seriously? yes there are some, but I doubt anyone has ever counted how many
Old 07-21-2008, 02:52 PM
spiral_72

I thought it'd be great if my wife learned to fly...... right into the tallest oak within 50 miles.

She won't even touch the sticks since then. Oh, well. I've landed(?) in trees since then too.

Aside from her, I haven't seen another one.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
KW_Counter

Popriv,
If you joined an RC club to meet women you're out of luck.

There are a few. The only ones I've seen are wives.
And they picked it up real quick.
KW_Counter
Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

They prefer to manipulate people rather than things.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: EF

Yes they do.
Mary Poppins is one such example [sm=shades_smile.gif]

More seriously? yes there are some, but I doubt anyone has ever counted how many
So did Sally Fields (remember the Flying Nun?) and of course there was Amelia, and Jackie Cochoran, and then there is Patty Wagstaff, and my older Daughter, and I'm sure that there are more.........Oh, you mean model airplane flyers? Naah, that would be admitting that they approve of what we do, and we all know that ain't likely to thappen.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only know of two that really do enjoy flying RC planes. [8D] One was A Young friends mother and one was A friends daughter. The mother gave it up pretty quick, like A year or two and the daughter has been at it for A number of years now.
Flying little toy planes just seems to be something men have carried over from there youth.
You know, men, toys, price!!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
draftman1

my flying buddy is teach his wife now. she is a natural just like he was. there must be something in there water. she saw combat a couple of months back and said, "I wanna do that" she will be ready for combat in a few months.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PilotFighter

They prefer to manipulate people rather than things.
AMEN!!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 AM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

One of the officers in our club is a woman, and she is one of the best pilots (heli or fixed wing) in our club. She and her husband used to have a 30% extra (sadly lost due to a bizzare radio issue) and they would both do rolling circle type take offs with it, the wingtip coming within a foot or 2 of the ground on the first rotation, but a smooth turning climbout.

There are a couple of wives that come out from time to time also, and fly some, but mostly just watch.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:03 AM
jetmech05

My daughter solo'd at 9 she is 13 now
Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi.my girlfriend who is from Russia flies all my models with get skill. She is now getting all the parts for a 110' Yak 54. Kesina can fly better then most of the guys at my field. She is a rare find and most of the time the guys and a few gals just think she is a very stunning lady that is all looks and no brains..... a doctor by training who just happens to like R.C.
So to answer your question.yes there are a few women that enjoy this hobby. There are just not many I think.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 AM
TakingFlight96

Yeah, I'm one of those Women Flyers. People make comments - I push them off ; When I'm out at the field, I'm their to fly (I'll be soloing very soon) not to be put down. I've worked to hard to give up and let people get to me, I've had 9+ months on the sim and at least 1-2 hours a day. If theirs women out their that have a true passion for Aviation in general, they shouldn't be told they can't do it for this reason or that. I've been told it many times before I even started flying, just going out to the field with dad - I told them I'm working on the sim, and they looked at me like I was nuts. Well, my dad always says you have to be nutty to be in this hobby.

TakingFlight96
Old 07-22-2008, 10:16 AM
JRFisher

I know one woman intimately that flies off the handle regularly.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 AM
draftman1

I would always welcome women to come fly at our club. that would be awesome if there were more women flyers
Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
mikegordon10

Yes, my woman can fly. She gets on her broom and can actually achieve flight every time the moon is full.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: SoCalSal

Hi.my girlfriend who is from Russia flies all my models with get skill. She is now getting all the parts for a 110' Yak 54. Kesina can fly better then most of the guys at my field. She is a rare find and most of the time the guys and a few gals just think she is a very stunning lady that is all looks and no brains..... a doctor by training who just happens to like R.C.
So to answer your question.yes there are a few women that enjoy this hobby. There are just not many I think.

Dude ! Thats just too good to be true !!! You have the beginnings of a sleeper cell on your hands !!!![X(]
Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
bgfireman
My Feedback: (13)

Here is a link to answere your question.
http://www.newsargus.com/gallery/mai...DI_NOISSES_PMT

I have seen her at several flyins. There are several pictures. The man in the back ground is her husband in some of the pictures. When you see the pictures keep in mind there is a tropical storm coming up the coast about 120 miles away during our flyin. This was on July 19, 2008 at Wayne mini. aero in Goldsboro, NC.

Alan

PS. I wish my wife and girls would learn how to fly. Another excuse to buy more airplane stuff!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Stick 40

we had a guy come to the field a few years ago and was interested, while one of the guys was showing him a plane I let his girl friend fly mine. She took to it quit well, but he didn't seem to like my showing her and we never saw eather one agian. Oh well, he might have had a good thing starting if she had got interested also. I decided right then not to do that again, wrong thing to do I guess.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM
poison

At are club we had a guy that was teaching his daughter how to fly, and there was a nother woman just recently who was at a club meeting and thinking about getting into the hobby as well.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadSplice

One of the officers in our club is a woman, and she is one of the best pilots (heli or fixed wing) in our club. She and her husband used to have a 30% extra (sadly lost due to a bizzare radio issue) and they would both do rolling circle type take offs with it, the wingtip coming within a foot or 2 of the ground on the first rotation, but a smooth turning climbout.

There are a couple of wives that come out from time to time also, and fly some, but mostly just watch.
That wouldnt be my friend Jeanette by any chance? I know she's out on the left coast somewhere.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I taught my wife to fly many years ago with a big trainer. She liked it but she rather preferred just being my pit assistant. She holds planes, fills tanks and is my timer when I fly my twin so that I don't run out of fuel and lose an engine. Its just nice to have her out at the field with me.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My daughters want nothing to do with it.. 9 and 13. They did ask me to make a plane i was building some time ago pink.. I did thinking they would be more likely try flying that one... well i'm stuck with a pink plane and only I have flown it!! certainly one of kind.
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.