Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is there an alternative to Lustrekote paints for Matching Monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is there an alternative to Lustrekote paints for Matching Monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 PM
reaaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there an alternative to Lustrekote paints for Matching Monokote?

Hi folks. Isn't it fustrating to have all those monokote colors & a VERY limited "MATCHING" Lustrekote paint selection!
Where can I find an alternative fuelproof model paint to match these monokote colours: Royal Blue, CUb Yellow, Missile Red, Aluminum & White? I know the Luster kote is available for all my colors except the Royal Blue, which is the one color I really need for my cowl design!

I like using Lustrekote because it matches monokote, but since so little colors are available now, what else is there available?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Is there an alternative to Lustrekote paints for Matching Monokote?

Ultracote and Mid West paints but these are getting harder to find every day. I have A can of the R Blue you are lookiing for from several years ago. I think I got it for A C-21 cover job I did and used the blue for the trim, I painted the cowl with it. From the engine heat it changed colors and got very dark!! Paint matching is getting harder every day and Ultra has quit making there paint. Go figure.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Take a sample of your covering to a automotive paint store and have them scan it and match it. If you don't have a paint gun, they might be able to load the paint in a spray can, but you'll get better results from a paint gun. I've done this for years with vastly superior results compared to Lustercoat. I use the PPG Deltron line, and have matched many colors, including metallic flake coverings. Paint is fuel resistant/proof.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
muddy69
My Feedback: (2)

Nelson Hobby Specialties has a line of paint that matches Monokote.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
reaaz

John, Yes using Automotive paints is what some of the guys do, down here in Trinidad. So i'm keeping that option open. Otherwise, I think Muddy hit the mark with Nelson hobbies paint line, Non flammable so I can easily ship it down! Thks
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John is spot on.A vastly superior paint system(as are all 2k)to anything you will ever buy from a hobby shop.Go and have a look at the finish on a well painted car,it far exceeds what i see on most models finished the old way.