Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Using old servos

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Using old servos

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM
jmlucido

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using old servos

I am getting back in to RC after 20 years. I have a new Spectrum DX7 radio. I still have my old planes and they are in good shape. I am wondering if I can use my old Futaba servos by putting on new connectors. Many were almost new. They were S26 and S28's. I wouldn't use them on critical channels.

I also have many props. Mostly Master Airscrew and Zinger wood. They look great. I am thinking the wood ones are OK but I am wondering about the plastic Master Airscrews. Does anyone think that I shouldn't use them?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:52 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Using old servos

You shouldn't have any problems with servos or props. I have many items of every kind that are 20 or more years old and all is fine. You will love the DX7.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The S-28's would present no problem (I am not familiar with the S-26) I think I have a number of S-28's hiding in flying airplanes. The G plugs as you noted would have be changed of course to the JR plug.

As noted the wood props are a non issue as long as there is no damage Heck I still run on occasion one of my original Reginald Denny props on a Brown Jr now an then.

The glass filled propellors like Master will be no worries also and they present no real age problems.

The props that are a problem are the pure nylons such as grish and top flight among others, they can and do lose moisture with age. Even when new the SOP was to boil the props in water for 15 minutes (a good idea today for nylon wing bolts by the way). These props were intended for engines that did no usually get much over perhaps 10 or 11 thousand and they worked fine.

I have some wonderful nylons of the period including some ground adjustable pitch types that I am not afraid to run on an appropriate engine (keyword here) after a boiling session. A forty year old Top Flight pure Nylon that has never been boiled will be dangerously brittle and the colder the wx the worse the danger.

John
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

Concerning the Master Airscrew props. This is one person who will never use one again. I had a three blade on my Top Flite T-34 and on the third flight it shed a blade. Well, it completely tore up the plane, total destruction. When I examined the prop hub I found a big void with very little meat holding the blade. So, beware.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 PM
jmlucido

Thanks for your input John
I am looking forward to getting started again. I even got my old AMA number back. I remember boiling the nylon stuff. I am going to take another look at the wing bolts.

John
Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 PM
jmlucido

Thanks for the input. I changed connectors on one last night and it looks like it is working fine after about 18 years.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Yep, I agree with everyone... if they look and work fine then use them. I too have seen props and equipment over 15 years old and still work well. One of my wood props I have on the wall is over 25 years old! Other than a little tarnish and grass and bug stains, she's as good as new.

If any of your servo's make a lot of noise when you turn your equipment on... then I would think about rebuilding or replacing the servo's. If any of your props have any bad dings or cracks I would replace them too. Remember to re-balance those props before use. Never know if they've been banged around or how much abuse you've put them through in the past.

After a season of mowing the lawn, nose overs and killing bugs with my props, I've had many props I had to re-ballance.

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
District II
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C - Fulton, NY