Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radio most used at events?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radio most used at events?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
videorov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio most used at events?

Why do I seem to see alot of Futaba radio sponsor events? Is that radio being used by most of the flyers or do they
use JR radios more?
I sure do see Futaba advertising alot at the events? Im thinking of buying a new highend radio like the JR 12X or X9303.
Just wonder why there are so many Futaba signs at the events and if there are really alot of guys flying with them.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 PM
exocet-RCU

Default RE: Radio most used at events?

iIdon't know which one is used most. It really is just a personal preference as both are good systems. I like my JR because its easy to program. I'm sure there are others that would say Futaba is easy. Just what you get used to. I have heard that the digital servos that come standard with the new JR radios are of a better quality than the ones that come with Futaba but that is just hearsay. I can't be quoted on that.

Bottom line: Either way you choose, you will probably really like the radio.

Tim
Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
BobPhx

Download the manuals and compare the features to your budget. You are not going to be disappointed with either JR or Futaba.

Sponsored pilots fly what they get "paid" to fly.. Most or all of those guys would be competetive regardless of radio brand.

Bob
Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
daven

I inspected planes this summer at the pylon Nats. I would say at about 85% of the planes were Spektrum/JR powered, maybe 13% Futaba, and 2% Hitec.

Spektrum / JR was out first, so I know some of the original futaba pilots switched over before futabas dedicated 2.4 ghz radios were available.

Both seem to work well. I'm happy with the Futaba radios, just wish they had a dedicated 2.4 version (non modular) for the higher end models.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: videorov

Why do I seem to see alot of Futaba radio sponsor events?

Its called 'Advertising' and its been around as long as capitalism and free enterprise has. As far as the so called sponsered flyers go its my feeling that these are not the people who I care to trust concerning my radio equipment selection.

Its all about money nothing else I am aware of some sponsered flyers who will use the radio equipment of their sponser at public events but use their real favoite away from the events.

Also its a big RC world out there beyond just JR and Futaba, it pays to do your homework when shopping so you can see beyond the paid either directly or buy gifts, 'big name endorsements'.

John
Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
videorov

I think I will be going with JR for my new radio. They do seem to be easier to setup.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:14 PM
daven

I use a little of each.

I really like the 2.4 receivers that futaba has, so I went that route. After a futaba switch failure I went with the Heavy Duty JR gold and it has been perfect. For servos, I like certain servos from JR, Futaba, Hitec, and even airtronics.

Try to match the application to the best, regardless of brand.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Since Spektrum/JR lead the way for 2.4GHz aircraft radios, I'd expect to see more of those than Futaba these days. I fly at a 2.4GHz-only field and Spektrum/JR definitely dominates in popularity over Futaba there.

I was a diehard Futaba fan until 2.4GHz came out. I waited to see what Futaba would offer, and I liked Spektrum/JR better, so I switched. My first aircraft radio was a Futaba 9C, I still have that and love it. I have some 72MHz aircraft I still fly with that. I also have a Spektrum DX7 and DX6i, and will ultimately convert all my aircraft over to Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz receivers.

Another late-comer to the 2.4GHz market is Airtronics. I've personally never liked the look of their aircraft radios, but their new RDS8000 is a pretty good buy, especially now that they are offering it with a second free receiver.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
ag4ever

I personally started with Futaba equipment, but when it came time to upgrade, I made a change to Spektrum.

This was not because I did not think the Futaba equipmet was good, but I just liked the way the DX7 felt, and I like the way the 9303 and 12X feels as well. i don't care for the way the high end Futaba equipment feels in my hands, nor do I like the modules sticking out the back.

I do feel Futaba has a very good product as far as reliability goes. Heck, our RC market is only a very small fraction of Futaba's radio control business. I know that every concrete pump truck I have seen is controlled by a Futaba system. (I have seen hundereds of trucks BTW.) Not one of these systems have shown any loss of signal or glitches, and it would be much more devestating if a concrete pump truck had a glitch and knocked a person off a building that if we have a little glitch and loose a model.

IMPO, you should buy the one that feels right. Be that the way it fits your hands, or the one easiest programing, or best customer servie, or just looks the best. They will all perform as good as you need them to.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About three years ago [could have been 4] at the IMAA event held at Castle air base in Calif. I went into the impound and took A count of the radios and what brand was being used. This was before the 2.4 hit the market. BIG #1 was the Futaba 9-C, way back in second place was JR and there were I think two Airtronics. The following year the new 2.4 Spektrum was out so I figured the count would have changed, nope, about the same as always. The reason seemed to be the new radios were only 7 channels. Today the #1 seems to be the JR 9303 in 2.4 but A lot more of the old FMs are still being used. Depends on the types of events too. Now I have moved and the #1 radio at IMAC seems to be the 9303 and the club pilots seem to have gone to the Spektrum 7. Now that Futaba has the new 10ch in 2.4 out your going to see A lot of advertisements at meets. I'm still using my old FM Futaba 9-C but one of my students has the 9303 and it has about the same programming as mine and programs just about like the 9-C. A few little differences but close. I really want to get my hands on the Futaba 10 but haven't gotten to yet, I know I will like that one too. Now with the big two both having A good radio out there your going to see A lot of advertising. You just have to pick the one you like. It helps to have people at your field using the one you choose to help in the learning curve too.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 PM
videorov

Yes loooks like alot of DX7 units here at my local club and some JR. I see the rcvrs are cheaper in price on the JR.
I helps converting over some of the aircraft. I see the resolution on the sticks on the X9303 is higher then the DX7.
I guess you can tell the diffrence? I guess the X9303 is close to the X12 but it has more channels and some other stuff Im sure.
If Im not into scale planes I don't know if I need a 12X.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
mogman

It's the old ford vs. chevy syndrome. Nothing wrong with either radio, boils down to personal preference and which brand has the features you like.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are comparing the DX7 to the 9303 then it's that apples and oranges thing. One of my students has the DX7 and the older one the 9303. I have gotten to set up planes with both radios and the 9303 is A hands down winner. For any sport pilot thinking of A new radio the JR 9 or Futaba 10 should be looked at. With all that P-mixing in both radios and the ease of operation they are just too nice and far more user friendly then either makers 7 ch. radios.
All it takes is money!!! That's why I still have my old Futaba 9-C, it's the cost of all the new RXs that's A killer.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: videorov

If Im not into scale planes I don't know if I need a 12X.
The average RC flyer probably buys radio equipment based on "wants" rather than "needs."
Sometimes a person will want/need one specific feature that is not available unless they buy the very high end transmitter.

My brother has a Futaba 9C. He uses some of the mixes but the main reason for having it is the multiple model memories (expanded with an aftermarket module) and synthesized RF module so all of his planes, and mine, can be controlled by the same transmitter.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

"For any sport pilot thinking of A new radio the JR 9 or Futaba 10 should be looked at. With all that P-mixing in both radios and the ease of operation they are just too nice and far more user friendly then either makers 7 ch. radios."

Agree - There is value in seeking out good gear that will take you from plane to plane, i.e. radio, onboard electrons, engines, etc. While even very large/complicated planes can often be flown without "fancy" radios, some of the advanced mixing, conditions, etc. sure do make it a lot easier to setup not to mention more flexible. I've seen buds at the field get a nice low-mid range radio only to replace it a year later because they can't do "X" on their radio with the plane they bought today. Do they need to do "X" to fly the new plane? Probably not, but a hobby isn't about need, but wants.

As for which brand is seen more often at events...I don’t see how it is relevant. I don't buy gear "X" just because all the others are doing it or just because awesome sponsored pilot "Y" said so. Show me something of value, then I'll buy.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
videorov

Its only money so feed the need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!