Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I keep losing mufflers

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I keep losing mufflers

Old 08-24-2008, 09:06 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I keep losing mufflers

OK, I gues this is in the right place. I have a Kyosho "40 size" crop duster. Sweetist flying little plane you could ask for, slow as dirt, but still fun to fly. Now my problem. I have a OS 52 4 stroke mounted
@ 45 degrees. The muffler is too short to fully clear the bottom of the fuselage. I used a 1/4 copper elbow to "turn the exhaust down away from the fuselage. It works great!! However,- the @##%%^@ muffler keeps coming lose..Also, I don't know how many copper ells I've lost. I've lost 2 @##[email protected]# mufflers & them little buggers ain't cheap. OK, I've balanced 3 different props- didn't work, used "blue loctitedidn't work. I tightened everthing to the point of stripping threadsdidn't work. Firewall is rock solid, motor mount-same thing. When running, the engine doesn't seem to have any overly bad vibrations. It's got me pulling my hair out ( & I don't have that much to loose)!! Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance
Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 AM
reincarnate

Default RE: I keep losing mufflers

Try this, if you haven't already. Teflon tape the threads, and tighten as tight as you dare. Then run the engine, getting it good and hot. Shut it down, and tighten the jam nut again immediately. Worked on my Saito 220 that would be loose after every flight. As for your copper extension, I'd try a regular old Dubro exhaust extension. Not sure you'll ever get the copper to stay on.

The Loktite won't work because heat is what releases Loktite. There is a red high temp that would work, if you never planned on removing the part. Ever.

Give me a shout if you ever get north a little.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

I had that problem with a GP spacewalker and OS .91 Surpass. Never did solve the problem. I sold the plane and traded the engine to my dad who replaced the muffler and the elbow that had almost stripped the threads completely from loosening up and vibrating. I don't think he's had much more trouble out of it since then.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting article this month by Clarence Lee in MAN. Said the cause of your muffler loosening is due to the angle you have it mounted to the engine. You have it turned up and away from the model, which then swings the muffler a greater distance due to engine vibration, and the whipping action is placing undue stress on the mounting. He recommends turning to a downward angle.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

Try this, if you haven't already. Teflon tape the threads, and tighten as tight as you dare.
The Teflon tape gets my vote too. I was having that exact same problem and it seemed like every other flight I had to tighten the muffler again. I put a little tape on the threads and it hasn't come loose in 4 months.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:00 AM
Ernie Misner

Ace high temp pipe sealer with teflon works great too!

Ernie
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

If the teflon tape won't jam the threads and solve your issue, use safety wire. You might have to get a bit creative with where you can drill a hole to pass the wire, but I can almost guarantee it won't come off with the wire in place.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
BillS

I safety wire mufflers on with 20 gage electrical wire and a thin flat aluminum strap under the pressure nipple. The strap has a hole to attach the wire.

Bill