Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

JR DX6i Spectrum radio

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

JR DX6i Spectrum radio

Old 08-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Supercharged6-71
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR DX6i Spectrum radio

I have lost two planes within the last 4 or 5 weeks from radio signal loss.
The first time I just blew it off as maybe I did or did not do something right. I was using all new equipment, I just replaced everything, 6 volt batteries, receivers, servo's. I just got my radio back from Horizon from the first crash, they said all checked out fine.
Here is what happened this time.
I took off,was flying about 2 min's and lost all signal, when I did find the plane, for it went down in a corn field, the servo's, what servo's where still attached where working.
There has got to be a signal problem with this radio. I just flew this plane yesturady with out a problem, and if I tried to use the radio on another plane for I have many models programed into this radio, I am sure they would fly, would they stay binded? not sure, and I am not risking another plane.
Everyone says spectrum works great, I have lost two planes in less then 6 weeks from signal loss. This not once happened to me on FM radio's.
I have grounded my hole fleet of planes, and am selling all spectrum radio gear.
I have people tell me they never had any problems with spectrum radio's. I bet there where people who drove that ford truck that rolled over who said, it never happened to me, well it happened to me. Just because it has not happened to you don't mean it does not happen, it does, be forewarned.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
hanko

Default RE: JR DX6i Spectrum radio

Are you absolutly sure its signal loss? Is the airplane going into its failsafe mode (where the surfaces were when you bound it) Is your remote reciever whiskers 90deg to the primary? Ive also heard not to point the antena directly at the model. Everything i have is 2.4, never had a glitch or any indication of any signal loss what so ever. Sorry about your bad luck
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Supercharged6-71

I would like to give everybody an up date on this problem.
First, no the radio did not go into fail safe. On both occasions the plane stayed at last input and wide open throttle. I spoke with one of the nicest gentelmen at Horizon Hobbies, he watched my video on youtube as we spoke on the phone, he agree's that there is a power problem, on both occassions I had a fully charged battery when I found the plane. I checked my battery today, one day after this second crash happened, under load my 6 volt battery was at 6.50 volts under load, this is a fully charged battery. When I found this plane the radio was rebinded and all servo's that where still connected to the plane where working as they should.
Also today as I was in our hobby shop, there was another gentelmen their who has lost 4 planes from radio failure this summer, all on spectrum. He lost his latest yesterday also. He told me he was not using spectrum radio's again, he said he was getting all his old equipment out of storage and using that. His spectrum radio was being sent back to Horizon for repairs or what ever.
Another gentelmen I fly with lost a plane from radio failure, this has been a few months ago, horizon replaced his engine and radio gear. He was using spectrum gear also.
Like I said one plane might be something on my end, another plane within one month, something is up. Then I find I am not alone.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
hanko

that really sucks. Do you think its in the reciever or transmitter? I bought a spectrum a year ago and flew 6 different models with no problems. It cured my glitching problem on a 33% cub on floats. (lots of flying wires touching each other) Ive just bought a JR 2.4 9303 nine channel and have been reprograming most of my airplanes to that. Pretty much all of the guys have gone to some type of 2.4 system and haveheard no complaints. I really hope you find your problem and hopefully yours is just an isolated incadent
Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Supercharged6-71

I am not sure just what is going on. I can tell you that there are a few people in my area who have problems with these radio's and then there are others who just love them.
All I know is I used all new equipment, both times and have pretty much lost everything. I have other planes but will not fly until I get new FM radio's. I will not ever put another spectrum in the air.
I also run cars and trucks. I was running a car this evening on 2.4 spectrum when I just went to far away for it to receive a signal, I had to walk closer for it to pick it back up, now when I say it went to far it was about 100 feet away. Now this has never happened to me on any fm radio.
This is a brand new losi desert truck. I will take this spectrum out and sell it and put a fm radio in this truck.
I am not sure why the range is so much less with spectrum then fm, but it is, and I am sure, I am not the only one who has noticed this who runs surface remotes.
To say I am frustrated is saying the least, Horizon Hobbies told me I would hear from them in two day's, today was day two, I called them, they where to call me back, I heard nothing.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
TedMo

I don't blame you at all for feeling as you do. All I have to offer is something in your area is wiping you guys out. It may even be some crackpot that has the capability of putting a very strong signal on your 2.4 if that is possible? I and everyone in my club have never had any problems with any of the 2.4 gear. I've been using the JR Spektrum for about 1 year and not one glitch. I have never used the Rx that you use. I only use the 7000 or the 6200.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Supercharged6-71

All my planes have the 6200 reciever, or had, Horizon Hobbies has replaced all my gear with DX7 Gear and 9000 recievers. I will see how this works for me, I am very hopefull and excited to get this new radio equipment and start flying again. the weather has been so nice when I get my radio gear and able to fly again it is going to be raining for the next week after that. that seems to be the way things go for me lately.
I am glad Horizon replaced this gear, but I purchased it locally I should have been able to return it locally, have the hobby shop replace it and send the old gear back to horizon.
Here I have hundreds of dollars in this radio gear not to mention the amount of money in my planes and other stuff just setting waiting for that ups truck to deliver my radio's so I can use all this stuff. Its getting very old, I am getting very tired of this all, and am thinking very hard of just selling all this while it is new and taking up some other hobby.
Seeing all this remote stuff just setting waiting on a radio to operate it all is a big waste.
I have 10 planes, a few cars, trucks, helli's, a couple radio's, e-bay here I come. Just not sure remotes are worth the hassle it takes to not only get product support but to just order a part.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM
trentiusmaximus

could it potentially be a servo or receiver overload? maybe to many amps appllied to either the receiver or servos? It could also possibly be some kind of short. anyway, i hope your new equipment works out.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:49 PM
unobtanium

Hey Supercharged man, I feel your pain. I have lost three planes and two t-rex 450's to radio failures in the past month! all were on spectrum dx6, but one. It was on a brand new dx6i which I bought two days ago to use while my dx6 was sent in with the three recievers which were all new (and involved in crashes) to be repaired. Then last night my new dx6i failed sending my t-rex into a tractor causing it to be completely destroyed. I am going to the hobby shop as soon as they open this morning to seek answers. At this point after flying for all of my adult life (about 25 years) I am seriously considering quitting the hobby, and taking up base jumping. I have spent over $2,500 bucks in less than 30 days and have nothing to fly!
Wish me luck, and happy landings, Unobtanium
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Supercharged6-71

I really hated to read this. I love how clear of a signal you get from a 2.4 radio, but man when you loose all control, I would trade a few glitches for a clear signal anyday.
As everyone can see there is an issue with these radio's that is far worse then any glitch. Did your planes or helli's stay at wide open throttle?
If you check my video you will hear and see this radio did not go into failsafe. I double check this everytime I install a radio, I make double sure that if the radio is shut off, or any signal loss happens, she throws the throttle to idle.
I believe you and I and who ever else has had this problem should not only get our gear replaced but also the plane or helli.
I understand you wanting to bail on this hobby, if not for me being disabiled I would have bailed on this hobby myself, but I can do nothing else, and this keeps me going or should I say half way sane.
This is the same thing that ruined the Big 3 in the Auto industry. I have a GM car 50,000 miles on her and she has a locked up engine from a factory Screw up. GM will not stand behind it, its not a saftey issue, Will I buy another GM car, no way.
I am very concerned that this same thing is going to happen here. Once you have a bad taste in your month about something hard to make it go away, and at a few thousand bucks, I know, That taste really stinks.
I am flying with a DX7 now. Everytime I go out and fly, I understand that I may not be comeing back with a plane do to signal or power loss or what ever. So not only do I have to make double sure I make no human mastake, because a tech failure is just off the horizon..lol.. waiting to come up and bite me.
All I can say is if this happens again to me I will not be replacing the plane or gear, I have a hanger full of planes and when they are gone this is over for me.
My wife has been great and has not complained once about my addiction to this hobby and I am addicted. But enough is enough, If I crash from pilot error, I can deal with that, I screwed up, will learn and do better next time. But when its equipment failure for what ever reason, that I can't deal with. I guess if this equipment was at least one year old then maybe its understandable, but new gear.
I just went flying today, it was 15 degree's out. Had a great time, flew electric and had a blast, it was calm and sooo relaxing, this is why I fly. Because when I fly, it gets me high, and I love to fly.
Good luck, keep us all posted as to what happens with this. Happy holidays.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:57 AM
jetmech05

I have heard that there can be a momentary power loss...once power has been re-established it takes 5 seconds or so to get control back...in that time span it can be all over...I don't remember where I got this info....wheter it's hear say or something I read...I also seem to remember that the problem has been fixed with newer equipment
Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
The newer Spectrum receivers don't need seconds to reestablish contact ...it only takes milliseconds or so to do that!
The first Spektrum receivers had this long "rebooting" issue and it took a few seconds to regain control.
Speaking from my own experience when I flew my Q-500 racer this spring and suddenly lost control of it . I used a DX-7 system with seven channel receiver. I was lucky, just cruising around at high altitude when this happened. I could not control the plane and it spiraled down...at 20 meters altitude I was lucky to regain control ..!
After that I went home and investigated what had happened. I came to the conclusion that the cells I had in my battery pack , which I had soldered together myself did not deliver enough ampere to the receiver so I replaced my GP "Green" 4,8V , 1000mAh AAA cells with more "powerful" "Red" GP 4,8V, 800mAh AAA cells...and added a 4700 pF (10v) capacitor . Since then I have flown many many times with my DX-7 system in several airplanes, using 5-6 DX-7 recievers and have had no problems what so ever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90451.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1092606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37249.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1092607  
Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Supercharged6-71

I never, never put anything into the air that is going in a big gas bird that I have soldered or put together myself. I do not trust such connections or modifications on something that cost thousands of dollars and that has the ability to kill someone if something goes wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I am sure others have the skills to do this. I will solder nothing not even a wire, it gets replaced with new.
Now in my Revo's and buggies I do all modifications I can. But out of the question on anything flying that is gas powered.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Supercharged6-71

Try this, I did. Hold or tie the plane down, Turn everything on, Start the plane, now shut off your Tx, then turn it back on, and see how long it takes to reboot. On my dx6i and my dx7 it took almost 4 sec's.
Now take that same plane running and tied down, do a range check, walk out of range or put something between you and the radio so you loose radio signal, then move back into line of site, or let go of range check switch and watch as you regain signal almost instantly.
So there is two different ways this system must reboot, one is like a cold boot, the other is like a hot boot The hot boot takes only mil-a-sec's, the cold boot takes much longer.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
jaka

Hi!
Well! I have been doing this for 32 years so I think I have some experience .
These are the "RED" 4,8V 850 mAh GP NIMH cells I use in my pylon racers and in my Marutaka DC-3 model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18829.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1092680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33457.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1092681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71586.jpg
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1092682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34162.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1092683  
Old 12-19-2008, 10:38 PM
unobtanium

[&o] Unfortunatly I have nothing good to report in refrence to my radio failures. I went to the local hobby shop where the day before I had purchased the dx6i. I calmly explained the incident to them. They listened quietly and then told me to contact Horizon myself. I have to say I was most dissapointed in thier response. They basically said "bummer", and put forth zero effort to help.
I wil not be returning to that shop.

I will call horizon in the morning. I have only the 800 number on the back of the manual. So if anyone can give me any help as to who to call, at what number, and at what time. I would be grateful.
It didn't used to be this hard to have fun, Unobtanium ............more fun to follow
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Supercharged6-71

I went through the same thing with my LHS. I finally just called Horizon myself and did not deal with the LHS.
Drop me an e-mail and I will give you some info on who to contact and what was told to me.
[email protected], I really don't want to post this man's name out of respect for him and his privacy.
He was very helpfull and really wants to get to the bottom of this.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Just a thought! I've gone to A123 2S 1100mAh batteries for all of my Spektrum rx use. they are 2-cell, 6.6v, and deliver even discharge thoughout it's capacity. They can be charged at 2-10A, and cycled over 1000 times. You can typically get 6 flights min. before re-charging at the field and then it only takes 10-15 min. to top them off. Weight and cost is the same as a decent 5 cell NiCad or NiMh rx pack (they have higher initial voltage, over 7v). I have no worries now about brownouts due to low voltage during high torque manuvers.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
jaka

Hi!
What batteries do you use ...and what servos??
Old 12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Supercharged6-71

I use 1600 6 volt NIMH, those are in anything nitro with 4 or 5 servo's. In my big gas birds I use 3200 6 cell NIMH running through a JR voltage regulator with cooling fan. In all big birds with gasoline engine's I also use two receiver packs,with two switches.
I now install a y-harness on the power wire going into the receiver , this way if for some reason one plug might come loose the other is still pluged in. I have started to do this on all planes no matter what size.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 AM
unobtanium

First of all, Happy New Year people! I hope everyone had a safe new year.
I have been sort of waiting for some good news to come before making any comment about how Horizon has handled my situation. But unfortunatly I have nothing good to report. In fact, after three calls and two e-mails. I have had no response at all. Not an e-mail, or a single call. Now I do realize it is the holiday season, and that thier office has been closed more than normaly. But I cant help buy say this is not satisfactory. Not even close. I am going to try one more time to call on Monday. I have little hope of getting any help from them, and in fact I have little hope of even talking to a live person. Much less anyone that cares.
So at this point I am open to suggestions. Anyone?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Sandmann_AU

I've been using a DX7 system for about a year now and until recently I hadn't found a single fault in it. I built a new plane not long ago (Super Skybolt for those who're interested) and put in a brand new Spektrum AR7000 receiver that I'd had lieing about the house for about six months without a home. All seemed fine at first but after about ten minutes on the bench setting up the radio things went bizarre. The receiver would work intermittently, when it was working the servos would all "twitch", sometimes it wouldn't bind on power up, sometimes the lights would come on as if bound but no reaction, and sometimes only one light would come on but not the other.

I returned it my local hobby shop who sent it to the Australian company that handles Spektrum (O'Reillys Model Products) who tested it but found nothing wrong with it, and returned it with the new V1.6 firmware. I reinstalled it (in a different plane this time - I'd robbed an older plane to fly my new one) and it seemed to work great - for an hour or so, after which it went back to the same problem. This time I took video of it happening, and contacted O'Reillys directly and spoke to their support people. They said they'd seen a few receivers have problems in warmer areas, which disappeared once they'd gotten to them (in Adelaide, much cooler than here in Brisbane). They replaced it for me with a brand new one which has been flawless.

Matt
Old 01-03-2009, 08:56 PM
unobtanium

Well now I have more bad news. Today I was getting ready to fly my pattern plane. A Brio 10 made by E Flite. I have about thirty flights on this model. I am useing the same DX6i which had desrtoyed my T-Rex 450. I was atempting to confirm weither or not this system had any problems. Today it proved to have issues. Actually its done this about four times since installing into my brio. What happens is. I turn on the tx, then the rx. Then the 11.1 battery to the speed control. Then a few seconds later just as I am putting the canopy on (whivh allows access to batterys) when the radio tells the speed controller to start turning the motor. It dosent go wide open. It starts slowly. Maybe a hundred rpm's. I check each time that the throttle is shut and the trim is all the way down, and they are. If left alone the revs slowly climb. I instinctavely burp the throttle a couple times and it returns to normal operation.
At this point I dont want to fly the thing anymore, and frankly feel fortunate that it hasen't cost me another model.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
The Ghost

I turn on the tx, then the rx. Then the 11.1 battery to the speed control
Question, does the speed controler have a battery elimenation circut in it? IE powering up the RX by 2 different power sources. This will cause a FAULT in the RX.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 AM
unobtanium

I cut the posative circut from the speed controller as per the manufactures instructions. Then power the reciever with a seperate four cell ni cad 2500 mah battery

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.