Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cordless screwdriver and drill bits question ... ?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cordless screwdriver and drill bits question ... ?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cordless screwdriver and drill bits question ... ?

Greetings, I'm in the market for a cordless screwdriver (want something fairly small, already have a larger drill/driver).

What I want to know is if anyone has found one that has a chuck that will take various sizes of small drill bits. I am looking for a way also to put small ball drivers into the cordless screwdriver for screwing in engine mount bolts with a socket head.

The cordless screwdrivers I've seen so far just have the 1/4" hex standard opening in the front. I would like to find one that has an actual chuck. I want to take some ball drivers and cut the handle off so I can put them into the cordless screwdriver.

I did see an ad for ball drivers that had the 1/4" hex mount but they were kind of pricey...... and a few small drill bits can be found that have the 1/4" hex mount also but a real chuck on the screwdriver would be so much better.

Thanks for any ideas,

Ernie
Old 08-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Gollywock

Default RE: Cordless screwdriver and drill bits question ... ?

Ernie- I have an adjustable chuck that I found at either Home Depot or Lowes. Made by DeWalt, it has the 1/4" hex on the rear to plug into the screwdriver. It may have come with a small kit with bits, etc. Jim
Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Ernie Misner

Wow, that's great Gollywock. About how much did you pay for that chuck?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a very small Skil powered screwdriver with the Li-ion batt inside. I took an old Dremel with the armature worn out. Cut the shaft off about 1/2 in. behind the chuck.The shaft is about the same size as the outside dia. of the hex drive. Didn't take long to file six flats on it as it's mild steel. One of my most used tools next to my tomcat!! He's the only tool I lend out as he always comes back I bought another Skil with the chuck mod to use out at the flying field. I like the Li-ion batt as it holds the charge forever compared to the ones with the nicads, as they're always dead from sitting when you go to use them.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a small battery screwdriver from Sears. I got 1/4 hex shanked drill bit set there too and from J&R Hobby Hardware I got a set of metric and a set of standard ball drivers with a long 1/4 hex shank that work very well. I use that screw driver all the time. If you already have a battery screwdriver that is a cheaper way to go.

Bruce
Old 08-30-2008, 01:43 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

go online and look for www.micromart.com. they sell adjustable chucks for th is purpose.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 AM
JimO
My Feedback: (7)

I use a Black and Decker Pivot Driver from HD and for the ball head drivers got to J&R Hobby Hardware. I have both standard and metric. www.jrhobbyhardware.com

JimO
Old 08-31-2008, 09:47 AM
carrellh

This Milwaukee is a very nice tool. It comes with two batteries and a 1/4 chuck. My brother has had one of these for many years. It is pricy but the quality is very good.
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-6547...191657&sr=1-13

Or, buy any cordless screwdriver and add a 1/4" chuck. This one is less than $10 and has free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Skil-1-4-Keyle...0193180&sr=1-2
Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Ernie, I have a Black & Decker cordless screwdriver and its drill bit set that comes with 51 screw driver heads of verious sizes and 8 more socket head ends plus an extension. It has become invaluable in the workshop as it fits servo screws, control horn screws, and socket head screws for my J3,etc.