Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Econokote vs Monokote

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Econokote vs Monokote

Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 AM
flyingfever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Econokote vs Monokote

My LHS was out of stock on red Monokote, but they did have a roll of Econokote so I bought it.

Now I have a roll of white Monokote, and a roll of red Econokote to cover one trainer wing.

I've never used Econokote, and I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

What is the difference, really between Monokote and Econokote. And don't say, "about three bucks a roll!"

Is Econokote less durable? Does it not heat shrink as well? Does it not heat shrink at all?

If the difference is purely cosmetic, I don't care. It's just a trainer wing. But it the difference is in the durability, that might be a problem. Especially on a trainer.

Anyone?....

'Fever
Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Oly

Default RE: Econokote vs Monokote

I believe that Econokote was originally developed for covering directly over foam. Thus, it requires less temperature to adhere and shrink (so you don't melt the foam). There may be other differences, but I don't know what they would be. I used it once, to cover some repair damage on a trainer and it worked just fine.

I wouldn't be too concerned.

Oly
Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used Econokote once, and exactly once. Never again will I use for covering a plane. I found that it was hard to shrink and would not stay on worth a hoot. It was so bad that I wouldn't even give it a somebody else to use (I didn't want to make an enemy out of them ), so I threw it all away. Trust me, it's not worth the little bit of money you might save.

ken
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Kemosobie

"Developed by the makers of MonoKote® covering, Top Flite EconoKote ® shrinks tight with low heat — so it's ideal for covering foam, balsa sheeted foam, and most plastic or fiberglass parts. And it's also perfect for placing trim on top of MonoKote-covered surfaces."

The above is from Econokote web site. If you tried to use it like monokote your results were less than you expected. It is not good for open structures.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
chashint

ORIGINAL: RCKen
I have used Econokote once, and exactly once. Never again will I use for covering a plane. I found that it was hard to shrink and would not stay on worth a hoot. It was so bad that I wouldn't even give it a somebody else to use (I didn't want to make an enemy out of them ), so I threw it all away. Trust me, it's not worth the little bit of money you might save.
ken
I agree with RCKen on this one.
Initially I was pleased with the way the Econokote went onto the plane, but almost immediately it began to peel off.
It wasn't just the fact that it was peeling off that was annoying, it was leaving behind the glue, the outer clear plastic separated from the adhesive.
I threw several brand new rolls away instead of giving it away too.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
SKYHI1

I totally agree with RCKen. Monokote was always a work in progress. Econocote was a disaster. Wasted my ten bucks. Everything that was said about the product summarized my experience. I switched to Ultracote and have never looked back on my decission. If I may suggest, that you exchange that econocote roll for a roll of Ultracote. With Ultracote when you apply it, it is a little iron on. Then some heat gun. You look down and you smile at your work because you are done. A lot less tugging and pulling than Monokote. To me it seems like there is less chance for a warped wing, stablizer etc.

Anyway, whatever you do good luck on your project.

Frank
Old 08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to get it to cover just like mono but as soon as it got out in the sun the stuff shrunk up so tight it split?? Then I discovered it wasn't made for covering open bays. I refuse to ever work with either the Mono or Econo ever again, both total crud!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:37 PM
TakingFlight96

HELLO , IS TOWERCOAT THE SAME AS ECONOCOAT. HAD 6 ROLLS GIVEN TO ME . I THINK I KNOW WHY NOW.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:09 PM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Yes Towercote = Econocote.
corrected spelling
turbo
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
salat
My Feedback: (4)

so much of you have alot of unneeded Econocote. I would be glad if somebody agree to post it to me at my expence. I'll make use of it.

Thank you,
Kostya
Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Don't mix Econokote with Monokote. I did, once! The different temperatures required will haunt you. Go with one or the other, but don't mix!

Kurt
Old 08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

I covered a plane with white Towercoat. I had no difficulty applying it and it held up well for a year or two. Then it started to peel apart at the seams, but by then I was ready to retire the plane anyway. I would not use it again for a glow plane. It might be OK for electric.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:16 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

I don't know if anybody else has tried this but Econokote works excellent to use as trim over Monokote. Just turn the temperature of the iron down, lay the trim piece in position and iron it right down. I didn't have any bubbles at all doing this and the Econokote sticks extremely well over the Monokote. In fact, you really can't get it to come off.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
flyingfever

Thanks to all for lending the benefit of your experiences.

My original plan was to cover the wing white on the bottom and red on the top, with contrasting trim.

Now I think the best course of action would be to cover the entire wing in white, (Monokote). Then add red (Econokote) trim.

Maybe I'll add some red trim to the fuselage and tail feathers too. If the Econokote does work well as a trim material, I'll save the left-over for future projects. Wouldn't dare give it away. Couldn't do that, not even to a stranger.

Thanks again for the input,

'Fever
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could send the left overs to the Russian guy, I'm still ticked off at Russia over them selling us there MDS engines!!!! Just A little pay back!!
Using it as A trim works out OK and like 2win said, it's such A low temp it leaves almost no gas bubbles. I have also used Ultracote as A trim over mono with almost no gassing.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
ply2win
My Feedback: (3)

That sounds like a good plan. I think you will be happy with how well the Econokote works as a trim.

Make sure and post some pictures when you are done.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:18 AM
AERORICH73

Hi Fellows: Sorry to read about all of the problems using EconoKote. I donot remember if I started using it on my foam models, but my supply sure came in handy when dealing with the ARF models purchased back when the very low temp stick on covering was being use. The old ARF severly damaged trainer given to me with the purchase of a Royal-Air 40T MK.II 1994 trainer, had this low temp stick on covering that need repairing. The EconKote did a good job of sticking to the junk covering without it melting. The partially open areas of the fuse sides covered well, and the MonoKote connections also adheared well. The Royal trainer came with some hanger rash as well as many errors in assembly. Where the wing covering needed a patch, I used EconoKote for the covering. It too, attached ok. While having used different brands of covering material, I like several of you, have found that Ultracote is by far more user friendly. If the need should ever arrive that a for a quick repair on a real damaged plane, a lite coat of Stix-it could be used to insure the EconoKote would stay attached.

Cheers!!!

Rich
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 AM
nekked_man_2000

Yeah, I bought 6 rolls several years ago, to practice with for doing a Miss America P51. 3 rolls are still unopend. If I did electric, I'd consider using them. I covered 2 planes with this stuff, a .40 size and a .15 size plane. You could use if for combat planes too I guess. But around the engine bay the stuff came unglued real fast. Other areas of the plane finally came undone also. The bad thing is some places it came undone a little, just enough to let fuel in and soak the wood underneath. I will say it is the easiest covering I've removed, peeled it right off. Does leave some of the color behind.

I would never, and I mean never, use it on something you have any time invested in, or plan on keeping for more than a month.

Austin