Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Mounting dual elevator servos

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Mounting dual elevator servos

Old 08-27-2008, 07:00 AM
chris-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting dual elevator servos

I'm putting together a 27% Pitts and we decided to mount dual elevator servos under the stab. However, after cutting the holes last night, I think we've fubar'd! The tail was not wide enough to mount the servos 'back-to-back' or 'base-to-base', so we mounted one above the other ensuring that the linkage hole was in the same position when at neutral.

Now, this morning it's been bugging me that we have done this wrong since one arm will rotate up and one arm will rotate down giving differential movement of the elevator halves, right?

How should we have mounted them? I presume, they should both have been in the same horizontal plane, but fore and aft of each other? Can this be taken out with mixing or not really?

Chris
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Mounting dual elevator servos

If your servo arms are both on the center line of the control horn horizontaly. Then it should be fine. Some guys will do this intentionaly if their radio won't mix the servos to run both elev halves. The preffered method would be to put one servo in front of the other on the same plane. Have you thought about using low profile aile servos? They might fit back to back.

David
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM
chris-s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mounting dual elevator servos

Thanks for the reply.

Since the holes were already cut, I fitted a pair of servos and tried it all out. On a 'Y' lead it's no good at all, mixing across two channels, I can get them to the same point on full deflection and in neutral, but if you track the travel from centre out then they do not track evenly, so that at halfway to full deflection they are not at the same angle which is obviously going to affect it in flight somewhat.

I guess this is to be expected and will mean I'll have to relocate one of the servo's so that they are on the same horizontal line, bummer.

Chris