Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

EPOXY ALTERNATIVE, HELP! ALERGY

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

EPOXY ALTERNATIVE, HELP! ALERGY

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM
sparky251

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPOXY ALTERNATIVE, HELP! ALERGY

[&o]Hi everyone,I have developed an alergy to EPOXY,[] I cant even start to mix the two parts and I starT to breakout. Does anyone know of an alternative to epoxy for attaching wings etc. on larger size planes ? Ive used thick ca on smaller park flyers but I building a hanger 9 p 47 and need HELP!!!!!!.Thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2008, 05:55 PM
TedMo

Default RE: EPOXY ALTERNATIVE, HELP! ALERGY

All I can think of and believe it will work fine but I would check it first on some scrap. It is polyester Resin. Or carpenters glue Elmers.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Spitfire222

If I developed an allergy to epoxy, I would simply use Titebond II wood glue wherever epoxy was used. I use it for most building applications anyway. But thats just me.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Does the allergy occur from inhaling the fumes or from skin contact? If the allergy is occuring due to skin contact, use nitrile gloves to prevent skin contact. If its from inhaling the fumes, improve the ventilation in your work area and get an organic vapor respirator cartridge (typical paint mask) and wear the respirator while you're working with epoxy. Titebond is a good subsititue for epoxy in some applications, but for applications where you need fuel proof strength (firewalls for example) there really isn't a good subsitute.

Brad
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Have your buddy glue it for you!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Flying freak

The only thing i can think of thats stronger than wood glue would be somthing like hysol (ask the jet guys)

Steven
Old 08-28-2008, 10:01 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

All people, given enough time, will develope an allergy to Epoxy. This is a very toxic material. For this reason people purpsosely developed an alternative to Epoxy . It is Gorilla glue. The T28 below was built with Gorilla Glue. IT weighs 7.5 pounds. Its now 6 years old and going strong.

Since then I have built with Elmer"s wood glue, Pica's wood glue, and have read the testimonies of several people that have had great success with Titebond and other carpenters' glues.

And, I must confess, I have even returned to using Epoxy on some occassions, quickly mixing the epoxy and applying it, then exiting the room. But in this instance, I find that the air will be circulated throughout the house and that I still have a mild reaction . But if you have a shop that is isolated from your living space, this method appears to work.

Don't stop building. You CAN find alternative glues. You can adopt procedures to minimize your exposure. You can build without harming your health or that of your family's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12302.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1021427  
Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

As already mentioned, Id go with the Titebond or maybe one of the polyurethane adhesives.

The Hysol products are a thicksotropic two part epoxy.

Cheers,
James
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorilla glue. Wood glue to join the wings??? And thin CA to glue down the glass on the center section if it calls for the glass?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good comments above sparky.

You don't say whether it's respitory or skin contact.Reactions to solvents/glues varies markedly person to person/product.Worst one i had was a year ago and long story short,had no other choice but to grab a rag full of acetone and wipe the top half of my face because my eyelashes etc were stuck together with 2 pack.Not real nice and burnt a bit.Was driving home after work later that night and got the itchiest feet,indescribable and had to pull over.

If you need a skin barrier use the good stuff or you could try vaseline(yukky)or even suntan cream.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

ps meant to add that if it's respitory you could try some hay fever tablets and two aspirins........just kidding
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 AM
sparky251

Hi guys,thanks for the input,its both ,inhaling and contact.. I tried latex gloves but it did nothing,the thing is before the two parts mix im fine but as soon as I start to mix them my face,arms and chest start to swell and then I break out in a rash,NOT something I want to go through again.Ive tried mixing outside too but the same results. So is it safe to assume Gorilla glue or one of the wood glues are my best choices? Sparky
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Rudolph Hart

Wow your whole top half swells up just like the incredible bill bixby used to..and you go green too.Get someone you don't like to do it for you..
Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

Woops that was a me bad,who used to play the incredible hulk and kinda looked like lou bixby?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lou Ferrigno
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM
PoormansACE

I dont know what kind of epoxy your useing, but i started useing Sig epoxy because I cant stand the smell of regular epoxy. its GOT to be diffrent cause it dosent have that "burnt tire/moldy closet" epoxy smell.

The busty brunette who builds airplanes with me has never fussed about the smell, even when glassing wing joints. I keep a 2-part syrenge of cheap 15 min stuff in te flight box "just in case" and last weekend one of the guys needed it. As soon as he filled a mixing cup, she was fussing about the stinch!

Try Sig, it may work for you!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Thanks,i was being a silly bugger..[&o]

Poorman has a point re epoxy smells,do you sell busty brunettes who are willing to get all perfumed up and stand next to you while you use cheap glue?[:-]