Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Transmitter battery question

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Transmitter battery question

Old 08-29-2008, 03:22 AM
BrentL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter battery question

I have a JR transmitter with a 9.6v 600mAh nicad battery pack. I've started fast charging it with a peak charger at 1c, but I noticed yesterday that after cycling, it only took 45min at 0.6A to charge the pack.

Surely, after a full cycle, it should take slightly over an hour to fully charge the pack at 1C?

And if that's the case, does this mean that I have a faulty battery in the pack?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmitter battery question

Your battery will give you much better life if you charge it overnight on the wall wart which is about 0.1C. I do not know what the quality of the JR batteries are but; in general, NiCad are better for transmitters than NiMh are as they will give you about twice as many charge/discharge cycles and are more immune to minor abuse such as overcharge or deep discharge. Also, most batteries of this type should not be charged at a higher rate than 1C and, if you want long life, not that high. Check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good advice on the care of all types of batteries.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi

1c rate is to much for nicad. wall charger charges at 50ma on another charge I would not exceed 100ma (0.1amp) for better battery life. 1c will greatly shorten life of battery pack.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 09-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my fast field charger all the time but only at the field. Nicad takes the heat of quick charging better then Nim but it really does shorten the life of both of them. A good slow charger at home is the way to go, even A wallwort that came with your gear is A good way to go. Heat Kills!!