Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

SPECTRUM 2.4 DX7 Radio range?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

SPECTRUM 2.4 DX7 Radio range?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
BULLITTGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPECTRUM 2.4 DX7 Radio range?

Hi Guys
What exactly is the operating range of this radio with the ar6100 reciever in feet?
This is th parkflyer reciever.
It isnt intended for large aircraft.
This seems to be top secret government information.
I understand that the full range rx has an operating range the same as the 72mhz band.
So what is the range in feet of the parkflyer reciever???
Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: SPECTRUM 2.4 DX7 Radio range?

Its not so much its range, it will fuction the same distance as any of thier other receivers.

Being a single reciever however its subject to shadowing from things in the airplane or heli that a dual reciever like the 6200 would have a good connection on one channel or the other at all times.

Use it on foamies and stuff you fly close in.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
carrellh

If you want the "exact" number you are going to have to find the designer and interrogate him until he talks.

I've seen specs for some "park flyer" receivers that list range as "up to" 650 feet. Even though Spektrum doesn't publish a number, using 650 as your limit would probably be pretty safe.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
TedMo

Your question intrigues me. I personally have wondered why anyone would buy a RX. that had a limited range, unless they planned to only fly indoors. Yes I know there's a small price difference however, does that compensate for the loss of an aircraft flying beyond the RX's range? Yes I also know there's also a meager weight difference as well. I believe all too often some will skimp initially on costs only to find out later that their bargain is no longer desireable therefore upgrade and then thier earlier original choice becomes unused. There goes thier bargain. Only my outlook.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 PM
jetmech05

I 've always found the receiver works farther than I can see the orinentation of the airplane......so as I always answer this question like this...as far as I can see
Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 PM
TedMo

Don't believe that's true with that particular RX. Most others yes.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Nathan King

You'll never get an exact number. The atmosphere will attenuate the signal differently depending on weather conditions. The receiver placement and transmitter setup will cause range to vary as well.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
trentiusmaximus

The receiver itself does not have any desgnated range. It is the transmitter. The range actually depends on how many watts of power are dedicated to sending the radio signals. radio waves move much the same as ripples in water. the stronger the wave (usually powered by battery input) the farther and faster it travels. just like how a larger splash in water travels farther and stronger that ripples created by a small splash. the only problem is that you would have to use a higher voltage battery that has a higher watt output in the transmitter. (Never ever attempt this. you will more than likely destroy your remote.) but to answer your question, the MAXIMUM reccommended operating range for radio aircraft is 1000 feet. keep it well under that and you will be fine.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:00 PM
trentiusmaximus

Remember that receivers only receive signals of certain frequencies. As long as the signal reaches the receiver, the plane will react to the signal.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Y'all are missing the point.

He's asking specifically about the 6100 which Spektrum markets as a park flyer only reciever.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:06 PM
trentiusmaximus

I think we answered his question, if you read all the posts. Lets recap (#1) You will never get an exact range because so many factors can affect the range (antenna length, battery power, age of the radio, weather conditions, etc) (#2) I gave a very detailed example of why the receiver doesnt have a specified range and why range only applies to the transmitter. (#3) 1000 feet is actually a very long way. Even though a radio manual does not recommend this range, most (not all) higher quality radios (such as the spektrum dx series) will in fact make the aircraft respond at this range. (#4) Its a parkflier, you can most likely fly it anywhere in the park and not lose signal.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 AM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
300m-500m
Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 AM
BULLITTGT

Thanks for the input guys.
I did a surface test yesterday and had good reception at .2 miles or 1056 feet .
10 more paces and all radio contact was lost.
Plenty of space for the Stevens Aeromodel SHAFT I am flying with the dx7/ar6100
Yesterday I flew my maiden with both the shaft and dx7 and all went great!
See ya at the NEAT fair!
Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM
TedMo

Right the Tx determines the total distance that it's signal can be broadcast. However, the rx determines the distance from any point within that signal that it is capable, due to rx.sensativety etc., of recieving and interpreting that signal. This is a variable depending on rx's design. Just to simplify.