Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

cycle down a battery?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

cycle down a battery?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:22 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cycle down a battery?

whats the best way to cycle down a batery? i have a 1800 mah and a 1100 mah nimh i believe i currently dont have a cycler to bring the levels down to prevent memory anyway to do this with out buying one? thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 03:29 PM
flapster
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: cycle down a battery?

my opinion for what it's worth is a cycler is the only way to go...fairly reasonable around $60-$70
Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 PM
GRANT ED

Nimh batts dont really suffer from memory effect. I don't cycle any of my Nimh packs and they have lasted a very long time with no problems. If you were really worried you could just leave your plane on untill the servo's start running slow and then recharge but IMO its not needed.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

Nimh batts dont really suffer from memory effect. I don't cycle any of my Nimh packs and they have lasted a very long time with no problems. If you were really worried you could just leave your plane on untill the servo's start running slow and then recharge but IMO its not needed.
thats what i kind of did. i plugged the 1800 in a voltimeter and it acted like a discharger worked pretty good and i just left the transmitter on with a little bit of the antenna.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither NiCad nor NiMh suffer from memory problems (an old myth that refuses to die) although both can and do suffer from voltage depression under some circumstances. The only valid reason for discharging either NiCad or NiMh is to measure their capacity. Now both will benefit from an occasional slow charge (charge at 0.1C for 16 hours) as this will insure that all cells are balanced and evenly charged.
Here are some sources for some good info on batteries
http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?t=2153
http://www.vencon.com/index.php?page=support_art3#s3
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm
Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I'll reinforce what Rodney said. Modern NiCd and NiMh cells do not suffer from memory issues. Yes, like 20 years ago they did, but in the last decade, no. There is no sense in cycling a pack unless you are checking capacity, and even that really doesn’t need to be done that often. Like maybe once every 100 flights or twice a year, etc. Ditto, on the slow charge. I’m hard on my packs as I charge at 1C almost all the time, but I also use cells designed to tolerate that abuse better. I do however try to slow charge when I can to help even out the cells.