Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Knife Edge Streamer Cut

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Knife Edge Streamer Cut

Old 08-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knife Edge Streamer Cut

Hey guys, let's see if you can help me out. We are having our annual Labor Day Airshow on Monday and I am thinking about doing a streamer cutting segment. There will be two 12' poles on either side of our 40' wide runway. A streamer will be attached to the top of each pole and I will fly through it in knife edge, cutting the streamer. Have any of you done this? I know I can knife edge accurately enough to do it, my only concern is with the streamer material. I am thinking of using Crepe Streamers from a party store. I am worried that anything stronger will pull on the airplane as it cuts. What do you think?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knife Edge Streamer Cut

A friend of mine does this at RC airshows. He is using a 44% Ultimate and uses crepe paper as you propose. Works well.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Nathan King

Okay, great! I was just worried about the streamer wrapping around the airplane badly or being too stiff and knocking the airplane around. I'm not using a 44%er but not a small model either.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 PM
mikegordon10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We did a limbo a couple of years back and used crepe paper. It worked well. Some idiot, don't wanna name any names - hit the pole. Seemed pretty simple, hitting the pole never came to mind till it was to late.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

We did a limbo a couple of years back and used crepe paper. It worked well. Some idiot, don't wanna name any names - hit the pole. Seemed pretty simple, hitting the pole never came to mind till it was to late.
Yeah, I've got 20' on either side of the centerline to play with before I hit the pole. I almost always get my low inverted passes and such right down the centerline. Should'nt be a problem. I know, famous last words.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To try "crepe material parting characteristics" on the first pass I'd hit it with the upper wing. That way it will pull the nose up rather than down if it turns out to have more "grab" than you expect.

I tried to do something really hot-doggie and entered a limbo full throttle at eye level right-side up and tried to roll inverted for the low pass. Didn't work like I had hoped. [:'(] Took about 20 minutes to clear the debris field.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Nathan King

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

...Took about 20 minutes to clear the debris field.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I look at it like skiing. If you ain't doing a few face-plants you're not pushing yourself hard enough to learn and grow. ;-)

How about toplet paper?