Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Hanging up your airplanes? Help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hanging up your airplanes? Help

Old 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
rayzer 13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging up your airplanes? Help

Hi everyone I could use all the help I can get my girlfriend said I could move all my airplane stuff into our down stairs apartment wonce our renter finally leaves but she said I would have to make it look nice I have a hole buch of unfinished prejects from lazy bee bipes to control line and float planes and deta wings anyhow I,m at a loss to figure out what would look and work best . Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hanging up your airplanes? Help

Just not going to happen unless you have very deep pockets. Good luck!!! Post photos when you do it!!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:22 PM
GRANT ED

Well I Made brackets with posts to hang the planes on by their horizontal stabs. Works well and is about as neat as you can get.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a rack from shelving standards and brackets. I put the cheapest plastic pipe I could find over the shelf brackets and added pipe insulation for cushioning. Very easy.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46155.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1024224  
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

And I have used store bought hanging hooks and hung planes by the tail feathers from the walls, I have racks on the walls too plus I have upside down Ts hung from the roof holding a plane on each side of the T. Point is none of it looks Nice, not girl friend Nice anyway, I like it and my friends think it's cool but not girl frined nice.My wife used to let me build planes in the living room too but that was over 30 years ago, I think sanding in the house or anything to do with building is A thing of the past too. That stuff went away with my 30 inch waist. Unless it's A YOUR space like My Shop then it's not going to be girl friend nice. Sorry.[&o]
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Ed Smith

Hi everyone I could use all the help I can get my girlfriend said I could move all my airplane stuff into our down stairs apartment wonce our renter finally leaves but she said I would have to make it look nice
If you have to ask your girlfriends permission you are in trouble alresdy. Wait till she is your wife!

It is decision time here, the girlfriend or hobby, they are not compatible.

Ed S
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
ChuckW

Once you stick airplanes in it, it will automatically look nice.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 PM
kid chuckles

I tie about 18" stings to the ceiling studs making a loop. Then put one side of prop thru and the the other and let them hand on the prop up against prop shaft. You can hang alot of planes that way. If i don't have the motor installed i use the landing gear. You will discover a way that suits you and her. But agree if she is saying things now, if you marry it will be 10 fold Make sure your string is heavy duty and will not come loose or it will hurt your little planes badly. Not made to be dropped 5ft. onto the rudder. Dropped one thank goodness it was already in ICU care.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Charlie P.

Remember: beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. She'll NEVER see them for the works of art you do.

Ask her for her opinion: should I convert the room into a photo gallery of my old girlfriends, a micro-brew pub or an R/C workshop?

Name:	Eb86633.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1025101  
Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear that hanging from the stabilizer is not good long from undue stress.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:59 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

I have been hanging planes from the tails for several years. I have never experienced any problems as a result of the practice. One of the planes had a very lightly built tail and it never showed signs of undue stress. I was using hangers made of 3 or 4' lengths of 1/8"-1/4" mild steel rods covered with pipe insulation. I think it is a great way to keep the planes off the floor as well as show them off. I have even used the large 5# Command hooks to hold the hangers for some smaller planes.

Good luck making the girlfriend like the model plane decor. Right after we got married my wife let me keep my Cub in the living room of our small apartment. As soon as we got a house, all airplanes and airplane stuff was banned from the front rooms.
Ben
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I do exactly what dbacque does - if you want to move planes around the 'shelves' are adjustable to accomodate for different shaped planes, or you can take them down and put up real shelving. works great/.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 AM
OffroadBEAR
My Feedback: (2)

Shelves are my favorite. I had that exact setup in my old apartment and it worked well. Now I hang them by strings from 20 LB picture hangars in my closet.

As far as it being a bad idea to hang an airplane by its tail. If the tail structure won't tolerate being hung by the tail I sincerely doubt it will take the stress due to flight.

Oh yeah, if you pay half the rent (or whatever), she doesn't have much of a leg to stand on. My fiance' is pretty cool about my heavy involvement in model planes. She understands that that's what I like to do and that's what I'm gonna do, so we reach a happy medium regarding model plane decor.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 AM
acejinx

My squadron exceded it's floor space a long time ago. I hate to hang up airplanes with thin string because it cuts into the fuse or wings. I buy ribbon, it's more visable but it spreads out the supported weight to keep from damaging those thin trailing edges. (When I'm in the fabric section of WalMart I typically try to use my deepest voice to order the ribbon. "Yes, I need a roll of your 1/2' stuff!")

About the girlfriend. Marry her, have some sons. You can get away with almost anything if you are doing it with your BoyZ!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Hello all,
I have another way to deal with airplane storage that is inexpensive and easy to do.

I noticed the other day that Harbor Freight is selling these bicycle lift overhead storage hoists for about $5.00 or so. I don't remember the exact price, but noted that it is a good deal. I bought mine at the "Big Lots" store for 4 bucks each.
I'm using three of them right now, and will hang a couple more up as time allows.
All required hardware is included.

The strapping is 1" wide polypropylene from the local "Joann" material and sewing supply store. It is more than adequate to do the job, and inexpensive. I use "S" hooks as well as the support hooks that come with the hoist, depending on the airplane design.

The heaviest airplane is about 35 lbs. dry with the wings installed.
The hoists are rated for about 100 lbs, so they are operating well within their design load.
The 2 x 2's that the hoists bolt to are lag bolted to ceiling joists, so they aren't going anywhere.
Works for me!

Name:	Sq48263.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1029859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20923.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1029860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65832.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1029861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16184.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1029862  
Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
frenchie79

I made two different stands, one for 40 size and below and one for larger, made out of 1/2" pvc. Cheap, easy and you can get at them. Wings I hang from the wall with brackets. Or lay them on brackets like shelving.

Name:	Zw69742.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1030356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46692.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1030357  
Old 09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Um... the fuse rack looks nice but what if I want to fly the "Smoothie"? Do I have to unload all the others above it first? Yikes.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:37 AM
sebo

It looks great to me. But, I encountered the situation that might possible arise (as with the smoothie) that I had difficulties getting to it.
Just hope your girl friend never gets mad at you and takes it out on your planes. OUCH!