Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

RC field etiquette? Help!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RC field etiquette? Help!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM
StukaDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC field etiquette? Help!

Your assistance is desperately needed! I'm working on a magazine article for an unnamed glossy AMA publication and the project budget will not cover traveling around the country asking RC pilots about their individual field's protocol.

Have you any comments or tales of woe on the subject of etiquette, protocol, and politeness at a model flying site? I've seen plenty of bad examples along with meeting some mighty classy fellows.

What is your pet peeve in this subject area? Post it here and it might just get trumpeted across the land...

-Dave

Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RC field etiquette? Help!

ORIGINAL: StukaDave

What is your pet peeve in this subject area? Post it here and it might just get trumpeted across the land...

-Dave
Rules made by and voted on by the club in order to make flying safer and more fun for all, and to preserve our club's rights to keep and maintain the field.

The pet peeve is club members who seem to feel exempt from this and endanger everyone's chances of keeping the site.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
[]TEX[]

My pet peeve would be prejudice against helicopter pilots. We never bother anyone and follow all the rules and yet still get harrassed by club members to the point that other club members start to get embarrassed.

I have actually told some plank fliers(jokingly of course) that they are only allowed to fly in a certain area so that they do not interfere with our flying. To my surprise, they did not like that.

I fly planes too and never have an issue with anyone flying. Heli pilots just get a bum rap like we are out to wreck everything. At one point a fellow club member suggested that the others realize that just one helicopter cost more than two or three fully equipped planes and to take that into consideration before passing judgment.

Needless to say it is a touchy subject at that particular field.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heli pilots are the only rough spot at any of the fields I fly at. Main point seems to be hovering over the air strip instead of them staying in there own areas. Go figure?? To them field rules seem to be writen for other people. Go figure.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Heli pilots are the only rough spot at any of the fields I fly at. Main point seems to be hovering over the air strip instead of them staying in there own areas. Go figure?? To them field rules seem to be writen for other people. Go figure.
I never said that, sorry to hear you have that type of pilot there.

I sure would be pissed though if some hot shot decided to do a low fast flyby while I'm hovering.

So, it goes both ways.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Arebeck
My Feedback: (2)

SD,

The one that we always try to do at our club, especially when the flight line is buzzing is to loudly announce your intention to either take off or land. If someone sees someone taking off while someone is landing they will usually yell out ' Bob is landing' (everyone in the club is named Bob ) to help prevent a mishap on the ground.

One other peeve that we have is when someone is taking off and for some reason they will head towards the flight line and continue their take off run which will usually result in flying past the flight line into the no-fly area. We will usually reinforce the idea that it is OK to stop your take off run and reset yourself to get a nice takeoff down the middle of the runway.

We never yell, just quietly go over when Bob is done flying and remind him about safety at the field. Bob usually knows when he does bad so he usually yells out ' Sorry, I should have canned that take off run!"

Ron Becker
Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Dave, Here is a little blurb I put together as a primer for newbies coming into the club.

Review of R/C Etiquette
• Upon arriving at the field place your transmitters on the impound rack

• Set up your plane away from the impound rack

• When starting or running your engine in the pits make sure your prop blast isn’t onto another persons pit

• Keep your motor running in the pits to a minimum.

• Before entering the field for takeoff look for anyone on the field or in the landing pattern

• Always give way to those coming in dead stick

• If you are landing, or have a problem, announce it to other fliers so they can avoid getting in your way.

• Help others start their engine (Hold the plane) or at least ask if they would like some help. (This is easier than running them to the Emergency Room, coming back and packing your and their equipment, sending get well cards, etc. etc.)

• When holding a plane while being started don’t try to plant the tail wheel

• If you are unsure how to hold a plane if asked to hold one, then ask the owner how he or she would like it done. Some parts are very fragile and will break and weaken the airframe if cracked.

• If you have anything in a shirt pocket, TAKE IT OUT as it will fall though that nice new wing.

Mark
Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
StukaDave

You guys are great! This is priceless stuff. The heli vs fixed-wing controversy seems to be just another generation of the age-old friction between any type of model and any other type of model. FF guys were miffed when CL came along, and then the RC guys were a "problem", and even glider pilots get complaints when they share a field 'cause you can't hear their ships coming!

We all have our own type of model, but "If we do not all hang together, we shall most assuredly hang separately".

I see the same phenomenon at indoor sessions. The traditional FF rubber guys get upset at the RC "3D" pilots churning-up the air. I spose it will never end...

-Dave

Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 PM
jester_s1

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Being newer, I can weigh in on the training side of the RC experience.

For new pilots:

1. Have your equipment in good operating condition before coming to the field. That includes thoroughly checking any used radio gear, making solid repairs to airplanes, charging batteries, and doing at least the preliminary setup on control surfaces and CG.

2. Get a thorough preflight inspection done by an experienced flyer before coming out for training. Fix any problems ahead of time.

3. Don't expect the trainer to wait for you. Unless you are paying him, you are working on his time, not yours.

4. Be willing to help others and accept help from others.

5. Appreciate everyone who helps you. Offer thanks as a minimum, and consider giving gifts or doing favors for those who go out of their way for you.

6. Know your limits. Don't show up with planes that are too advance for beginners and expect the trainers to help you fly them. If you are physically limited or have a condition that could make you unsafe, consider another hobby.

For established flyers:

1. Keep unsolicited advice to a minimum unless you are the trainer.

2. Help watch new flyers who can easily forget safety rules because they are nervous.

3. Take an interest in new flyers. Their dues help pay for your flying site and their energy comes in handy once they get involved in events.

4. Don't treat new flyers like an aggravation. You were once one too.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
mcmcintyre

What I like best about the club I am in now is that when someone new shows up at the field, at least one and usually more will immediately go up and introduce themself and then offer to answer any questions the new person might have and really make them feel welcome. I have really been turned off at other clubs when people just stare at new comers for a minute and then ignore them. The next best thing is that everyone is willing to help each other and if necessary share parts, experience and whatever else is necessary to get someone in the air.

My one peeve is the one person who always shows up missing something or needing work done (usually both).
Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 posts and nobody has mentioned: forgeting to return the frequency pin.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
ceecrb1

My club suffers badly from "the biggest plane has right of way" syndrome. Also that there are a lot of competition flyers who arrive, dont talk to anyone, practice their manouvers and leave without saying a word. From my perspective they seem to feel they are above those of the "normal flyers".
I have seen one start their motor and rush to the runway while a noobie was starting his engine up with an instructor, and so obviously "blocked" from flying.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:19 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: R8893

10 posts and nobody has mentioned: forgeting to return the frequency pin.
Freq pins are a bit old school, update to a clip board and there is nothing to lose.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:01 PM
bkdavy

During the course of my job, I do get the opportunity to visit fields in different parts of the country, so hopefully I can give you some of my perspectives. My single biggest pet peeve has been experienced at public fields, and that is disrespect for other flyers at the field. Generally at public fields, the people using the field are not members of a club, and feel no sense of membership. Oftentimes, they arrive at the field with the attitude that it is their right to fly, all others be damned. One of the worst examples I ever saw of this was at Bill Bennet Field in Henderson Nevada.

For those that are familiar with the field, you know that on your normal weekend, the heli flyers are at one end of the field, and the fixed wing flyers are at the other. Most of the heli flyers have adopted the 2.4 ghz technology so they can have multiple aircraft flying at the same time and not worry about interference. So far so good.

On this particular occassion, I was visiting LV, and had made arrangements to meet one of the regulars for a FPV demonstration. That person, a licensed HAM operator, had fitted a trainer plane with a 2.4 ghz video downlink. Given that its a 1W transmitter, in order to avoid any risk of interference, he walked down to the pavillion where the heli pilots had congregated, and spoke amicably to them. He told them he was concerned about the potential for interference, and agreed to wait until they were taking a lunch break before we took flight. We were planning a 10 minute flight, so we thought everything was good to go.

We did the flight, and when we landed, the same heli pilots that he had spoken to came down to the end of the field and were mad as hell that we had interupted their flying! They thought that since they had spent the money on 2.4 ghz, they had a right to be flying whenever they wanted.

Afterward, we were flying the plane (without the video link) when suddenly the plane made a violent lurch into a loop. Clearly a radio hit. I was on the buddy box. The plane owner took control, and as I looked around to see what was going on, two of the heli pilots were quietly walking back to their end of the field putting the antenna down on a transmitter. Although never proven, it was pretty obvious to us that they had intentionally turned on a radio on the channel we were using (yes we had the frequency pin) just to "teach us a lesson".

And yes, I have seen this attitude at other public fields.

At the public fields I've visited, the real missing component seems to be the sense of comraderie that developes at a club field. My experiences at club controlled fields have generally been very positive. I normally just show up at the field on a Saturday or Sunday morning (no I don't bring a plane) and stand around and watch for a while. Normally within 15-20 minutes, someone will say hi, and we'll strike up a conversation. Within an hour, I've made some new friends, and have even had offers to fly a plane. I've even made some important business contacts in these situations. I bring these lessons home to my own club's field, and remind all my club members that if someone shows up you don't recognize, introduce yourself, be sociable, and we just might bring in a new member.

Brad
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
macdona
My Feedback: (3)

We solved the heli plane problem by putting in a pad off to one side. So far it has worked great.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
[]TEX[]

Just what we need is another guy posting propaganda about how bad heli pilots are.

I mean really? You know, they could have just stayed where they were to shoot you down and how did they know what freq you were on?

I am sorry that NV has aholes for heli pilots, but that does not mean all of us are.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: macdona

We solved the heli plane problem by putting in a pad off to one side. So far it has worked great.
Pad should be for landing and take off. You know how hard it is to have a mid air collision? Yet the planks fear that the most.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
bkdavy

I wasn't trying to demean heli pilots. In this situation, they were a- that just happened to be heli pilots. I've seen equally discourteous behavior by fixed wing pilots.

Brad
Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I was just reading a post over on the R C Canada website and the discussion was about being shot down. The thread was titles something like "I can take a hint....". The question came up about who should pay if another person causes a crash and one club mentioned they have in their rules:

"A person deemed responsible in a crash due to neglect shall pay full value for damages."

The word negligent covers a lot of area.

Not all clubs have this rule, but it may be a good etiquette to think about for all clubs.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
KW_Counter

Dave,
At our field before someone turns on their transmitter they yell out their channel/frequency.
Then everyone who has a transmitter on yells out theirs. If there is no conflict then you can turn on your transmitter.

We always yell out "Landing", "Taking off" and "On the field" when appropriate.
Some even add the direction of take off and landing - right to left or left to right.

And we all participate in good hearted harassment of each other.

Good luck with your article.
KW_Counter
Old 09-03-2008, 03:58 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is the hot shot pilot who decides to use any runay instead nof the active runway into the wind.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Spitfire222

I have 3 main ones:

1. The guys who fly their planes standing in the middle of the taxi way to the runway. Or if they've hand launched a plane, they walk out onto the runway and then stay there after launch. I would rather they returned to a pilot station without me having to ask them to clear out while I taxi and takeoff.

2. Guys who take off across the runway. Congratulations if your plane has the thrust to do this (mine do), but its not the proper way to take off. I can imagine the hell they would get if they tried to land across the runway with their plane facing the pits when its on final....
Take the 5 seconds to taxi out and take off in the main direction of the runway. If they do it to avoid crosswinds on takeoff, learn how to fly better in crosswinds (use the rudder!!). They're going to land in a crosswind anyway...

3. Guys who talk and talk and talk and go on forever, even when its quite obvious you're busy or packing up and ready to leave. I enjoy conversations as much as anyone, but I'm there to fly, not spend all day talking. Some people just dont know when to shutup.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
BillyGoat

Read such an article a little while ago, however not from a mainstream publication, it's in one of the club newsletters on my watch list.

Here is a link http://hollycloudhoppers.org/newslet...pring%2008.pdf
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad, guess what field I was talking about when I mentioned Heli pilots, the BHs are still there. The city had to hang more rules right in front of them on the fence, guess they can't read either? The city now gave them the grass area at that end of the field, must be something wrong with it?? They feel that they must hover over the asphalt runway for some reason. The city is talking about removing helis completely. The two main fields in the Vegas area are owned and operated by Parks and Recreation, not A club, the three club fields I flew at in Calif. never had any problems like this at all, respect was always shown and if the rules were not followed you were removed from the club and the field. Odd that there are no problems at any of the dry lake beds in the area that are flown on. Go figure.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM
StukaDave

I really appreciate all of the great posts on this thread. Perhaps the world will be a better place if everyone gets the word on using a little politeness and a friendly attitude.

As far as the Hatfield & McCoy attitude amongst various types of RC pilots, I simply refuse to participate.

I've found that the vast majority of modelers are great people, regardless of what they fly, and of course there are always a few *&%$ to be found, nevermind whether the model has a rotor, gas engine, or no engine.

My local field has seen tremendous conflict at times, especially when a new type of model comes along, but patient, grown-up negotiation has triumphed in the end.

-Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.