Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Glow engine help! OS .15

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Glow engine help! OS .15

Old 09-04-2008, 04:24 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow engine help! OS .15

I have an older OS .15 engine, I have run the engine and it idles well and transitions smooth when rapidly advanced to high throttle. It advances to a good RPM and stabilizes at that RPM, then a second or so later the engine RPM decreases to a few hundred RPM less than full throttle. I have advanced it to full throttle several times and it goes to the high RPM but after a couple secunds drops down in RPM again, it is very consistent in this. I feel liek the needles are tuned to where they should be, maybe not? Could this be a sign of worn bearings that are leaking thru the seals? Any other ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Denny
Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 PM
The Ghost

Default RE: Glow engine help! OS .15

It sounds like the high speed mix is just a tad off, a couple of clicks maybe, or it could be a glow plug going bad, the fact that it idles well and transitions well will rule out bad seals and bearings.

Cheers
Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
TedMo

My feelings are that it's worn out, or you'r running too lean. Since it runs well but for only few seconds indicates compression is lost when gets hot.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:03 AM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
It sounds as you are running it too lean!
have you tried opening the high speed needle?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:53 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I will fire up the engine and tinker with it some more. I have adjusted the high needle several times, the adjustment either richer or leaner changes the transition and the high end RPM like any other engine.
I dont believe this is the result of the engine heating up, no matter how long the engine has run, the result and symptoms are the same. When the throttle is advanced to maximum,it goes to high RPM, and then just drops to a bit lower RPM. I have adjusted many glow engines and none have ever acted this way.This is more than high or low needle adjustment in my opinion. I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time. If and when I find the fix, I will post it in hopes of helping someone else.
Denny
Old 09-06-2008, 04:13 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

You never said what OS 15, Is it a bleeder carb and if it is are you aware there is no second needle only a screw to cover the bleed hole. Additionally this screw is opposite of a conventional second needle, its screwed in to richen the midrange.

John