Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Search Feature

Old 09-07-2008, 05:46 AM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search Feature

When I type in "Funtana X50" in the search block I get 260 hits (threads) which most have nothing to do with a Funtana or an X50. Is there a way I can limit the number of responses to my search to what I am actually searching for? Something like search by title only, or search by forum only?

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong so if I can get a little RCU training, that would be great.

Thanks,

Frank
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Search Feature

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

When I type in "Funtana X50" in the search block I get 260 hits (threads) which most have nothing to do with a Funtana or an X50. Is there a way I can limit the number of responses to my search to what I am actually searching for? Something like search by title only, or search by forum only?

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong so if I can get a little RCU training, that would be great.

Thanks,

Frank
That's usually the type problem I find. These might help.

1. Search a thread for "X50". You can find references to X50 in the thread, by using the "Search this thread" button at the bottom of the thread page.

2. Search topics only.

3. Arrange oldest to newest and look at the earliest threads first.

4. Search advanced, for the whole phrase "Funtana X50" & specify the phrase. Sometimes that helps.

5. Just use Google.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Dsegal

Click on Advanced Search, enter Funtana X50 within quotation marks, click on Topics and you will get about 70 items to peruse.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:36 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not alone, I have issues using the search feature here myself!!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Muroc1

Glad to see I wasn't alone. The tips did the trick. I found a number of threads on the X50. Most of them saying I won't be happy with the X50.

Frank
Old 09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
airbusdrvr

This may help. Click an "Search" in the upper right side right between member list and inbox. Then in the "search term" box type "Funtana and X50." Don't use quotations. "And" is the important part of this method. Put a check mark in the advanced search box. Then go to "search terms found in" and select "subject." Then click OK. That should bring up only threads titled with Funtana and X50 in their titles.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Too bad there isn't a feature to search through a thread that is 100 + pages long.
The search will get you to the thread, but on long threads, it really doesn't help much.

Greg
Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 AM
da Rock

You can also set the "Return the top" and also set the "minimum rank".

Limiting the number of finds that are returned certainly limits the number returned. And setting a minimum rank that's almost 1000, winnows out the puzzling finds.

And the websites that offer the hits at the post level really are good, aren't they. Of course, there aren't too many forums like ours that have threads with post counts in the thousands, nor hundreds of thousands of posts.