Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Air Show Flying

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Air Show Flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:57 AM
devil505
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Show Flying

Hi, I have been flying for a few years now mainly at local clubs and by my house. There are going to be a few airshows around me and am wondering how they work . Can I bring my plane there and fly? Do I have to be part of that club to fly? Do I have to register to fly? If anyone can give me some insite that would be great.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Air Show Flying

Why don't you contact the club and ask?

If the organization is a recognized AMA Air Show Team you will not be able to fly unless you have all the Air Show Team Member credentials. My club does a big model airshow each year (48th annual just completed) and we did become an AMA airshow Team for a couple years to enhance our insurance coverage. But the program changed and we opted out.

Safety is a primary concern for any public display. We pre-qualify all pilots in our show and inspect the models. We used to do this safety vetting (hey a new word I learned this week from the media!) the morning of the show for guys from other clubs. We now do the show from a full-size airport and no longer have a time slot for this, so our show is limited to club members and a small number of invited guests who have widely recognized demonstration flying skills.

On the other hand I have seen posts here on RCU where the guy organizing the show was pleading for help.

I really enjoy the airshow and it both brings the club members together and presents the hobby to the public in a positive way. Good luck hooking up with people doing thisyou're likely to enjoy it.

Our next spot will be Sept 20 and 21 as part of a full-size show. We are supposed to fly for an hour before the full-size stuff.

Chuck
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of an air show?? Blue Angles?? Is it an IMAA event or IMAC contest, A fun fly. There are A lot of different types of events. Most advertisements give A name and number for the CD {contest director} even if it's just A show of some type, give him/her A call. In the back of the AMA magazine there is A list of upcoming events with the date and type with the CDs number for information. In the AMA magazine the codes are listed so you can figure out what type of show it is going to be. There isn't anything much better then A nice IMAA giant event/get together. Nice Planes, Nice People, Fun Times!!
Old 09-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Intruder38

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our club has been hosting an annual model airplane show for more than 20-years. Our show is not a contest, but merely a demonstration to publicize our hobby and entertain the crowd. The show is held at a state park where spectators are plentiful and widespread, therefore safety is our primary concern. To this end, participation is by invitation only to AMA-current pilots of known capability. You should contact a member of the host club in your area to find out what their requirements are. As a minimum you should expect to be required to be an AMA member (not always the case, but mostly), discuss your flying qualifications, have to register and operate under radio impound regulations.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The next formal fly in of any type I see that doesn't require AMA membership will be the first one. Other then dry lakes or private fields I have never flown off of A field that wasn't an AMA site. Good point !!