Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Channel Mixing and General transmitter use

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Channel Mixing and General transmitter use

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM
scruze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Channel Mixing and General transmitter use

I need some help in radio tech, I have a DX-7 and I have flown several times with it, but I'm still
a nerd when it comes to how program the radio, can anyone help me with how to use CHANNEL MIXES, DUAL RATES, Programing new planes, etc. I have read the Inst. book, but its not very clear if your new to RC. Is there a book out there or info. someone new to programming a radio can read.

Also I need help installing my receiver's and servo's properly, I have programed a Pulse xt pnp and have flown it successfully, but I still really need a lot more education, because I have a new more aerobatic plane, and I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Channel Mixing and General transmitter use

Hi!
First of all you must ask yourself this question: Do I need Mixing, Dual-rates and Expo??
I have flown for 33 years and I do rarely use any Expo, mixing or Dual rates.
It's only recently in my Peak models (Aeroworks copy)Yak -54 and in my Nelson LS powered Q-500 pylon racer(Viper) I have used the mixing function in my DX-7 and DX-6i transmitters.
Most of the time I don't use any mixing or Dual-rates at all! So what airplane do you have that needs these functions???

The mixing in the DX-6i is very straight forward. You choose "Mix 1" and push the scroll button to "ACT" (activate). Then you see "Mix 1" on the screen and can choose what servo function to mix with any other servo function.
On my Yak-54 powered by a MVVS 45cc gas engine where I have one JR 8711 servo on each elevator I have mixed the "elevator"with "flap" to have both elevator servos move in unison.
(Rate is 100% on each to have eqcual traveling distance).
I also use " Expo" on the elevators on the Yak-54 and Q-500 racer.
The Q-500 racer (Viper) needs only 4mm up and down total travel, measured at the trailing edge on the elevator, the Yak-54 approx 15-20 degrees throw up and down. And to soften the stick centering I use 30% o the elevator on the Yak-54 and 25% on the Viper.

If you only have a trainer or a small .40 -.90 size low winged plane you certainly don't need any mixing, expo or dual-rates!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:36 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are asking for would require I write a manual Which you probably couldn't understand either. Where do you fly? Isn't there anyone there that has that radio? Anyway, dual rates are handy and easy to explain. They permit you to set 2 different amounts of throw for each surface, elev., rudder, aileron. There are 3 switchs on top of tx that enables you to select high or low rate for ea. of the surfaces.You have to bring the DR screen up to set these throws for ea. surface. This is nice since after setting the rate you chose for high and low you find out in flight find it to be too much you just flick switch to low. The manual gives you all the info it just requires lots of study. Perhaps the LHS where you bought it can help. The same screen that has dual rate also has expo available. Basically what expo does is decrease the sensitivity around neutral for ea stick.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding installing the RX's. They are so small and light all you need do is attach them in plane using double sided foam tape.no need to wrap them in foam. Again follow manual and place the 2 RX's at 90 degrees to ea other about 4-6 inches apart. Servos are no different than any others.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:43 PM
jamesrxx951

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was in the same situation when i first bought my dx7. i read the manual and what i didn't understand i just called horizon. there tech support is the best. plus i wanted to make sure i was doing it right and their tech's will get a transmitter in there hands and set it up with you step by step. once u learn it,it is easy