Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

pull- pull rudder servo placement

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

pull- pull rudder servo placement

Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pull- pull rudder servo placement

I know this is probably a dumb question, but this is the first pull-pull rudder that I've tried to do. I've built quite a few kits (4*s , Super Sportsters, Chipmonks, etc.) I'm now building from plans, a "60 size" Super Hots. I'm using a Super Tiger 75 for power & thought I'd try the pull- pull deal on this one. My question is,placement of the servo. I have 2 1/2 inches clearance @ the tailwheel. With the "75" I know I'm going to be nose heavy, so, I'm putting tailfeather servos as far back as I can get them, along with battery also. Is there any reason why I can't put the rudder servo "under" the fus? I can recess it inside & back as far as I can. It would definitly help on weight & I've always thought ,the shorter the linkage the less flex. All comments appreciated . Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 AM
perreback

Default RE: pull- pull rudder servo placement

If you need to put the servo close to the rudder (for CG reasons), then you might as well use a pushrod. This, in turn, will enable you to put the servo on the side of the fuse, the way it's normally done. But sure, there's no reason why you couldn't put it on the bottom of the fuse as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Was thinking the same as perre. It could be made to work, but one of the main benifits of using pull-pull on rudder is that the servo can be moved forward. There is really no "flex" in a pull-pull system so the short linkage idea really doesn't apply. If you need to put the rudder servo in the tail so close that a small pushrod would work, might as well use the pushrod... less maintenance and easier to configure.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the HOTS series of planes, my next one I have plans for is the 91 incher. This one is an old Midwest 60 kit, it's A great plane but doesn't fly as well as the scratch builts from Dan's plans, A bit heavy but much easier to transport with the wing off.
I have A YS 1.10 up front so right away I knew I was going to be A tad nose heavy, I installed two servos for the elevators in the rear then made up A hatch for the rudder servo. There is A paper tube I ran through the fuse for ease of wire routing, you can see the two wires that run under the rudder servo, all three wires go through the tube. I enlarged the rudder, {it's A knife edge flat spin thing} quite A bit, you can see how I ran my wires through the fuse and out so my rudder tiller is higher then normal. I get A lot more rudder strength on the pull this way and it made my life easier to set up. Both wires are run through that yellow flex tube control stuff but it's just for the ease of routing it through the fuse.
This is one very fun flying machine!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71488.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1031718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27587.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1031719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68504.jpg
Views:	20