Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

servo heating up?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

servo heating up?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo heating up?

Hi i just rebuilt a set of flaps for my trainer that ive had for a long time it has had all airtronics servoes and reciver in it. As i went the set up my servo for them the flaps i pluged it in to the airtronics recever to see what switch it was programed to. the transmiter is alsoairtronics. after i pluged in the servo to the reciver i fliped all the switches to see what switch controled the servo on that piticular channel. as i went to un plug the servo i was realy hot im not serten what happend or why it happend. Also the servo that i was useing is a hitec servo that i had kicking around. the frist thing i thought that was the airtronics electronics did not work with the servo. so if any one could help me that would be great.
Thanks
Corey
Old 09-13-2008, 01:39 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: servo heating up?

Reading that actually kind of hurt!
Sounds like you're running an older radio with the old Airtronics ends. The positive and negative wires have to be reversed on the Hitec servo in order to work if indeed it's old Airtronics?

If memory serves me:
New Airtronics= blue red black
Old Airtronics= red black and black
Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 AM
jetmech05

I thought a servo wouldn't work if the polarity was reversed....is this different on older systems?
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I thought a servo wouldn't work if the polarity was reversed....is this different on older systems?

You are talkiing about two different kinds of polarity reversal.

The current Hitec (S) also called universal, JR, Airtronics (Z) and Futaba (J) Are all identical polarity with centerpin positive. If these are plugged backwards to each other it will only result in an open circuit and cause no damage. Thats why the single spline on the Futaba (J) is not needed.

Now the situation with the 'Old Style' Airtronnics is completely different these are not centerpin positive plugs. They are #3 pin positve, centerpin is negative.

I beleve the change from the Airtronic old style occured somewhere around 94/95 to the industry standard (centerpin positive). If you force an old style plug into a Z ported Rx or vice versa then the smoke is usually instantly let out of the Rx and or the servo.

Corey check your system you may have smoked the Rx. Old Style Airtronics plug have three longtitudinal splines and are always black in color. The newer (Z) plug is alway blue in color.

The color coding on the old style Airtronics plug with flat wire is: #1 pin sense black, #2 pin (centerpin) negative black and #3 pin positve black with white stripe.

John
Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 PM
jetmech05

Thank you John....I am aware of the magic smoke theory...I've seen the smoke let out a few times
Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Ya I just hate it when the smoke gets away
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
kbailey45
My Feedback: (41)

Everything would be ok if we could just put the smoke back in