Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

one battery for all?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

one battery for all?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
CB36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one battery for all?

Hi everybody;
I bought my first EP, (TH Vista), and a 3000mA battery. This may rate as the DQOTD, but will I need a seperate Rx battery? The instructions do not say.

What if I "run down" the battery with the motor, does the ESC "hold back" enough juice to run my servos and Rx and will there be enough to sustain a thermal if I should be so lucky?
Thanks!!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Dsegal

Default RE: one battery for all?

If your ESC contains a Battery Eliminator Circuit it will power your radio system. And it will then also include a voltage cutoff to stop motor power and leave enough juice for the radio. Don't you have instructions with your ESC?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 AM
CB36

Thanks;
Here's what the Tower specs say:

Clear case speed controller
Standard Tamiya connector for battery
Universal servo connector for Rx
ON and OFF switch for speed controller
Red/Black bullet connectors for motor
Handles most motors 400, 500, 600
Pre-Set Up, no adjustments needed nor is it recommended to try to
change the settings on this speed control.
Has BEC

I assume the BEC is what you were refering to. Will this leave me enough power to fly around? The person at Hobbico said that when the motor "loses performance" it's time to bring it in. I'm just concerned that if I happen to hit a thermal on the last "up", I won't have enough juice to get it back.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

You should be fine. Most ESCs have an LVC high enough to leave plenty of charge in the pack to power the RX for awhile after it kicks in. If you think you'll be able to stay up more than 10 minutes or so after the LVC kicks in, then maybe you might consider a separate RX battery pack. If you use a separate RX pack, just be sure you disable the BEC by disconnecting the power lead on the ESC's connector that goes to the RX (the center wire).