Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I hate nose gears!!!!!!!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I hate nose gears!!!!!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:02 PM
bassfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate nose gears!!!!!!!

Hi all ya'll, If u would please advise how to convert a Sig Kadet LT 40 ARF, from a tri gear to a tail dragger. Also what brand,size of main gear & tail gear. I tired of having to adjust that (*(^%^# nose gear , its' a pain in the butt!!!!!!!! [sm=punching.gif] Thank ya in advance,......>>>-> bassfish [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
David Bathe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I hate nose gears!!!!!!!

Difficult to tell exactly what your problem is but... listen,
what you need to do is bend the noes leg shaft backward, say 35-45 degs so it naturally has some castoring action.
Do the bend two third of the way down from the coil towards the axel.
With this method, you wont even need it to be connected to a servo or have it set up exactly straight.
Just leave it loose and it will naturally centre as you take off.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:34 PM
OffroadBEAR
My Feedback: (2)

Go with a Du-Bro composite main gear. [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNM65&P=ML]Dubro Super Strength Landing Gear[/link] I had it on my 4*60 and it was great.

And a sullivan or Dubro tail wheel. The tricky part will be hooking up the linkage to steer the tail wheel.

You want to mount the main gear so that the axles line up with the Leading edge of the wing so the plane can rotate to take off. To mount the gear, epoxy a plywood plate in where you want to mount the gear. You may or may not need to remove the servo tray to gain access to the area and place the LG plate. Good luck.

Paul
Old 09-19-2008, 02:45 PM
FLYINGFOOL*2007

I WOULD USE A 60 SIZED CARBON FIBER TAIL GEAR AND NOT WORRY ABOUT STEERING IT, YOU CAN SPRING LOAD IT TO CENTER IF YOU WANT WITH A MILD SPRING ON EACH SIDE TO MAKE IT RETURN TO CENTER. I DONT STEAR MY TAIL GEAR, I FIX THEM SO THAT THEY CANT TURN 360 DEG. BUT I USE THE AIR OVER THE RUDDER TO DO THE STEARING.

FLY IT LIKE IT AINT YOUR'S!

YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO MOVE THE MAIN GEAR TO THE LEADING EDGE OF THE WING.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:09 AM
hobbyenthusiast

If you don't have the servo attached to it, how do you turn on the ground? Plus, won't bending the wire cause the nose to be lower? I have the same problem and get constant binding in the servo.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Villa

Hi bassfish
Looks to me that you need a lot more practice in landings. Once you have that perfected the type of steering gear will take care of itself. Nose down landings, or hard landings, like you are making, will more easily break the prop on a tail dragger, and can also rip the main gear off a tail dragger. I personally believe that learning to fly/land with a tricycle gear is easier. I have seen people take 2 years before they could consistently make a decent landing. That is exceptionally long. I suggest you make 10 to 20 landings every flight. Some people are afraid of the landing and as a result get tensed up and screw it up. I view the landing as a great part of the flight and after about 35 years in this great hobby I slill love to make many landings every flight. Not all are pretty.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 AM
TedMo

If you have to constantly adjust the nose gear it may be due to you have not filed a flat on gear where the set screw makes contact. This is an absolute necesity. Also important to touch down with main wheels on landing.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM
reincarnate

Also important to touch down with main wheels on landing.

As opposed to wingtips, spinner, canopy...
Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its funny because i once had an instructor tell me he wouldnt train me on a taildragger and i was talking about a balsa usa stick, nothing complex there.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:54 PM
jetmech05

on a tricycle type gear you should be touching down on the mains...then let the nose gear settle...learn to flair...