Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

regluing hinges

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

regluing hinges

Old 09-20-2008, 09:00 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regluing hinges

hello all.
i had my midwest citabria at the field today and noticed rudder hinges were all lose not pulling out all the way but moving back and fourth considerably. they are robart hinge 1/8 hinge pins. i did not originally install the hinges and not sure what glue was used. my question is there a way to inject some glue and what type glue into and aroung hinges to fix rather then try to pull out and risk damaging wood. any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. thanks andrew wisc.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: regluing hinges

Yes, you can inject glue. I'd sugegst either polyurethane or epoxy. You can inject it via a syringe. Had to do the same repair once or twice before. Several sources for syringes. You can get hobby syringes made for glue, or go to a wallpaper store and ask for a repair syringe, or if you are lucky enough to know someone in the medical industry, they can get you some.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:52 AM
jetmech05

to be safe vasilene the hinge
Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 AM
andrew wisc.

thank you john w and jet mech. would the poly glue alredy be thin enough and not need to be thinned like the epoxy. or do you
think epoxy would be stonger anyway. my wife works at hospital so i should be able to get syringe. thanks again for your help.
andrew wisc.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM
da Rock

Another method............

Drill a hole and drip CA into the sucker. The hole can come from the bottom and doesn't need to go completely through the other side. Matter of fact, it's better if the hole doesn't go completely through. A dremel does a good job with it's high speed. The idea is to give the CA direct access to where it needs to be, and away from the hinge joint itself.

I did this a couple of times and it takes very little time and not much skill. Hold the plane with the hingeline UP and the CA won't even try to get into the hinging area. I drop in a couple of drops of thin CA and then put a drop of thick into the hole. That much effort is maybe overkill, but so what. I got the time. A couple of the repairs needed to have the trailing edge pinched a bit as the slot wasn't tight anymore. That takes some help sometimes.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
andrew wisc.

hello all,
as it turns out .i was able to pull rudder completly off with no damage. discovered there was very little and on two of hinges no glue
at all. i was lucky this was the rudder and not elev or ail. it flew twice this way before i noticed. should of pulled harder on it after i
got back from cover man who glued them originally. anyhows i glued them back in with epoxy. all better now!!!thanks for your help.
andrew wisc.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I realize the surface is off now, which will make the repair easier. But to answer you question, you do not need to thin the poly or the epoxy. And I'd suggest that you never ever thin epoxy when used for structural purposes. You may need to use a 18ga needle or larger to get the glue in, but it works unthinned.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
da Rock

And you can heat the epoxy and that thins it. But also shortens it's pot life.

What is really excellent nowadays and works far better than epoxy is HINGE GLUE.

Magic stuff it is.
Holds stronger than the wood (and that's stronger than necessary, right)
Has none of the "fuses the hinge solid" problems of epoxy.
Is dead easy to apply.
Excess wipes away with water.

Magic stuff.