Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Support equipment/cart set up help

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Support equipment/cart set up help

Old 09-21-2008, 03:13 AM
nesikachad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Support equipment/cart set up help

Ladies and Germs,

Well, I’ve come out of my denial and I admit to being hooked on these silly airplanes. It’s time to get serious.

I’m tired of lugging three/four different tool boxes around and want a complete “crash cart” (no pun intended) set up for preflight fueling, charging, etc. What I have in mind is something like a Radio Flyer wagon with a car battery or onboard power supply to charge, run pumps, etc complete with a tool box and padded carriage for tinkering and what not.

I’m guessing someone already has one of these or that it’s produced somewhere out there. I’d be grateful for a source or for some pictures for ideas.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:28 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Default RE: Support equipment/cart set up help

Question to yourself: Am I going to the field to FLY, or to build and repair?
If to fly, all you need in addition to your airplane and transmitter, is fuel, starter & battery, spare plug, a couple of props and a screwdriver and prop/plug wrench. THAT is ALL!

All the building and repairing should be done at the shop which is generally more comfortable, better lit and you have everything that you need handy.

If you are going to the field to build and repair, it seems a waste of time to me, but that is something you have to decide for yourself. Maybe you need a motor home converted into your shop?? Anyway, enjoy!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 PM
OffroadBEAR
My Feedback: (2)

I originally had a big tackle box which was basically a portable shop. But I had to carry my transmitter case, fuel, starter, and other stuff separately. But now I only make two trips to and from the jeep, one for the toolbox and one (or two) for the planes.

I got a rolling tool box from walmart. It has a big compartment on the bottom where I have my field battery, fuel canister, hand crank fuel pump, and starter, and enough room for rags and my other analog transmitter. I installed two banana plugs on the side of the toolbox for my electric starter to plug into and my starter is on 7-8 feet of cord. On top it has a medium size tool box where I put all the hand tools I need (crescent wrench, needle nose and regular pliers, metric and standard allen wrench sets, glow plug wrench, voltometer, large screw drivers, etc.) and a caddy tray in the tool box where I keep the glow starter, props, precision screw drivers, glow plugs, digital tachometer, extra wing bolts, and some other little stuff. I hate getting stuck not having the proper tools. And I hate having to go back home for something. I usually keep a little super glue for spot repairs just in case.

[link=http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ROLLING+WORK&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=018800R&SDesc=Stanley%26%23174%3B+Mobile+Work+Station]This is my toolbox[/link] ,ts perfect for me.

[link=http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=ZAG+ROLLING+WORK&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=020800R&SDesc=FatMax%26%23174%3B+4%2Din%2D1+Mobile+Work+St ation]But I really wanted this one[/link] Although this one may be a bit excessive.

If you're really serious, get something with a large enough flat spot on one of the sides so you can install a power panel (I'm gonna do that for next season).
Old 09-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 25 bucks when found on sale. No plane rest for assembling but if the planes I take out need A stand I have one made out of PVC that comes apart and lays flat on the floor of the van. Eloy, some people fly at A lot of different fields and for more then A few hours at A time, sometimes maybe for several days. Some of these fields may even be bigger then you fly at and having A box on wheels to get to pit areas and flight lines just may come in handy. It could even be A handy thing having some shop stuff with you on the flight line. I do know several people that have there trailers and motor homes set up as A shop. They come in very handy at the bigger Fly Ins or the local field for A weekend. Then again, some people just walk the line asking for parts and tools.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31621.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1037502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58785.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1037503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55148.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1037504  
Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM
OffroadBEAR
My Feedback: (2)

Gray Beard: Thats what I'm talkin' about. I wanted that one, but I waited too long and it went off sale. The one thing that one has that I really envy is the little storage bin for small parts.

Yeah, I go out to the field for hours at a time, so if I need to make a quick repair, I can do it during the downtime/jaw-jackin time that everybody spends at the field. Sometimes, I go right after lunch and don't come back till sunset, or sometimes I go in the morning, go home for lunch, and go back out in the evening.

BTW, they do sell field boxes with the holes and compartments premade for field batteries, power panels, and fuel jugs, but most people (including myself) prefer the DIY toolbox/fieldbox method like Gray Beard's.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assembled this one because some of the fields I would go to had there parking lots A long ways from the pit areas so the long handle and wheels came in very handy. Just getting too dang old {or lazy} to be hauling A normal little flight box out to the pits then having to go all the way back to the car for A wrench or something. Only took A couple of hours to take apart my old box and make up this new one, very simple job and cheap, I like cheap!!