Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Who's lost it over this 'hobby'?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I'm totally bonkers!
17.35%
Planes only come before family and responsibility
8.16%
I spend more time than I should...
34.69%
I honestly balance my life and this hobby fairly well.
31.63%
You guys are all a little nuts.
8.16%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Who's lost it over this 'hobby'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's lost it over this 'hobby'?

I admit, I've got completely bonkers. I've been running around this forum like a chicken without a head, completely obsessing about anything and everything that flies. What's funny is I have not obsessed like this about anything, except when I was like 10 years old and used to get Tower Hobbies catalog. I was not in the right place to get started, so I used to make these lists of what plane, engine, radio, etc. I would get, write out the shipping costs, etc.

I know I'm not alone in this one! While I'm taking my break it would be nice to come back and find comfort in some similar stories...

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice...
Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who's lost it over this 'hobby'?

Lets see I have a collection of stuff for old pattern planes but nothing finished, 2 WW1 planes in 1/6 scale with plans for 5 more( with 20 more sets for other things) and 2 kits, couple of other scale planes one on the dinning room table as the rc room is full, pattern plane, wings given to me, 20 engines I have never run( some new some old), son's trainer. We will keep the attic closed. There use to be a product guide when I was a kid, and the kid next door and I would pour through it day after day; a lot of the stuff I have is stuff I could not afford back then and got lucky to find some of it.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:34 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still consider myself relatively new to the hobby at about 4 years. I'm currently working on my 4th build and first semi-scratch. It's really a bunch of hobbys in one. First was kit construction, then learning to fly and sport flying. Learning about research and documentation for scale project. This includes digital photo editing and drafting/cad. Then there's remodeling, converting the garage into a hobby room which includes electrical wiring, lighting, insulatiing and drywall, followed by building two walls of custom cabinetry designed to be able to store full kits and various supplies. Follow that by learning to build with magnets on my custom steel topped buildboard. Next up is learning how to paint using HVLP and airbrush with paints from latex to automotive polyurethane based paints. After that is collecting tools. Cutting tools, sanding tools measuring tools, grinding tools, covering tools, clamping tools, and more tools. This leads to the point where I now am learning machining with my lathe/mill to make custom parts and scale detail parts (current project is scale Corsair wheels). Then there's the potential to go further into electronics beyond the simple nav lights/strobe light projects I've done so far. This also branches into learning PIX programming and more advanced circuit design. Then there's the involvement with club activities, helping out with many of the events our club puts on (pretty much an event every other weekend) which ended up with becoming one of the board members of what is probably the second largest club in the country. There's so much more that is left, like building with foam, molding balsa, and complete composite construction. There's the stash of vintage kits waiting for me. And how I would love to have a CNC machine and laser cutter...

Scott
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Deadeye

This fall marks my 6th year in the hobby. I have built over 20 planes for myself, and finished over 30 ARFs and half built kits for others (not to mention the 10 or so Air Tractor wings I have built for Duane Habets). I own only two ARFS myself, so my fleet is made up of scratch and kit built.

Obsession? Yeah. But it's better on the body than drug or aclhol addiction.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:25 AM
jetmech05

I get beat up regually with a plane...I'm a flight mech on a 727-200....I've been gone more than I've been home since Aug 16th....so that dampens my drive some what....I'm spending Sat with the family..but I'll be flying RC Sunday
Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I honestly balance my life and this hobby fairly well. Or at least I try, however I think my wife would not agree with me on this subject.

We won't go there.

Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II
Radio Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Supporter of RedNeck R/C- Fulton, NY
Old 10-12-2008, 10:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I'm a flight mech on a 727-200...."

They are still flying those?????
Old 10-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

It's just A hobby, not A way of life. I don't get excited when someone calls them toy airplanes. In one form or another I have been doing this sense 1956 but there have been A lot of other toys and hobbies in my life. Anything with an engine in it from car racing to motor cycle racing, fishing to hunting, trap and skeet shooting. It goes on and on. I think it would be hard to figure what I went nuts over most, hunting or shooting?? I shot trap and skeet four times A week at least. During the season I hunted Quail three days A week and Ducks and Geese three days A week with A bit of Pheasant and Dove tossed in there. When the fog rolled into the valley I would help out the local farmers with thereCrow and Pigon problems. I was also building planes in the off season.
After I moved here modeling is my main hobby but I live in one of those over 55 places with all of the fun/cool stuff to do plus it is Vegas Baby!!! When I had to give up hunting and shooting modeling became my number one hobby though but I tend to try to not get too fixated on any one thing.

Understand this, that's me talking, if you ask my wife you would probably get another story but modeling has never hit me like the outdoor sports and shot guns!!! I love shot guns!!! I like planes!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm the lucky one. My wife supports my hobby. This coming year will mark my 60th year in the hobby. There has been a lot of changes since 1949, and not all of them good. Most of the changes are good though. I still have a couple of planes on the building table at any one time (Most are Waco's). All in all, I wouldn't say that I have lost it, but rather that I have been fortunate enough to have found a lifelong hobby early enough on, to have really been involved.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TFF

Lets see I have a collection of stuff for old pattern planes but nothing finished, 2 WW1 planes in 1/6 scale with plans for 5 more( with 20 more sets for other things) and 2 kits, couple of other scale planes one on the dinning room table as the rc room is full, pattern plane, wings given to me, 20 engines I have never run( some new some old), son's trainer. We will keep the attic closed. There use to be a product guide when I was a kid, and the kid next door and I would pour through it day after day; a lot of the stuff I have is stuff I could not afford back then and got lucky to find some of it.
when you going to finish them
Old 10-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

I like Stick's message, that this can be a lifelong hobby if you want it to be. I'm a little older than Stick, and have been in the hobby for 71 years. Yes, my wife approves, and so do my nine grown children. I design and build at least one new model every year, and have been doing just that for the past 50 years. I have designed at least a hundred models - all sizes - but since 1976 when I spearheaded the Bristol Scout Squadron by the STARS, (the beginning of giant scale), all my models are scale - working up from 1/5, to 1/4 to 30% / to 1/3, and now four models at 40%. I have ten models in my hanger, the smallest is 30% scale, and that is a giant Stinston SR-10 with a 13.5 ft. wingspan.

At the present time I am working on a 40% big-tail Stinson 108-3. It's about 85% completed, and should be ready to fly before this year is over. Then I will build something else, as building is good medicine for the mind. I don't take any pills. I even had my picture in Model Aviation magazine, Oct. issue, page 9. If you didn't see it - go have a look. Yep - I went bonkers all-right, and look where that path has taken me.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I’ll never get a plane that costs over $250
Dang, OK, I’ll never get one that costs over $500
Dang, OK, I’ll never get one that costs over $1,000
Dang, OK, I’ll never get one that costs over $5,000
Dang, OK, I’ll never add up what I spend on planes.

OK, I’ll never buy a vehicle just for planes.
Dang, OK, the truck is nice, but I’ll never get one of those crazy trailers.
Dang, OK, the trailer is nice, but I’ll never buy a new house just for the building room.
OK, the house was a steal and I got a really low fixed rate loan.

I’ll never get a plane over 25%.
OK, the 25% plane is nice, Ooooo, look at that sucker...
OK, the 35% is sweet, but bigger is better, right?
Dang, that jet is awesome... I’ll never get that.
OK, kerosene is only $4.29 a gallon, so I’m saving money somehow.

The 6AXS is a sweet radio, it is all I’ll ever need.
The 9ZAP is a sweet radio, it is all I’ll ever need.
The 12Z is a sweet radio, it is all I’ll ever need… for now.

I’m not addicted to R/C planes… it just keeps me out of bars.
OK, I probably fly too much, but it is a worthy past time.
Will fly for food.
OK, I’m bonkers.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 AM
guille2006

I'm happy to say that my family loves RC planes... at least for now.
Cheers!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:38 AM
flyfish28

It' just a hobby, nothing more!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Gray Beard

John, out of bars???? It's 110 degrees at 11:00AM, you are almost home from flying, you have been out flying from before sun up. PT's Bar, Grill and Video Poker is on every corner!! How can A man pass up A tall beer and A bucket of Hot Wings and A game of cards after A hot day at the field??? [8D]
Old 10-14-2008, 01:26 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Grey... heh... I bring brats and beer to the field. It's awesome, after a long hot day of flying, sitting on the deck of the club house, watching the stars come out, BS with friends, good food and suds... doesn't get any better than that.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Well I realized how much I was obsessing about buying a new plane and decided to give it a rest (I found that much of this obsession was due to my new baby being down for service, and being spoiled and not wanting to fly 40's anymore). Well, last night at midnight started my Birthday, and I got a nice check from the folks, and my new plane FOUND ME! Funny how that happens, and now I've got a nice new 69" Yak coming my way!!! With a Saito 4 Stroke, will be a very nice compliment to the Venus II/120AX. Now I can really stop looking for planes!

Yeah, sure...
Old 10-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Gray Beard

John, somehow I get the feeling there are no sweet young girls missing most of there clothing while they are serving you those Brats and Beers with sweet smiles on there faces. Just A thought. Bet you don't even have airconditioning to keep everything looking fresh either. How about brass decor??[8D] Just A feeling.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:53 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

time and money , just about sums it up, its the balance
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 AM
saramos

I agree! I have to spend way too much time at work, and I don't make near enough money for that laser cutter, cnc machine, and rapid prototyper...

Scott
Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I WAS completely bonkers when I first started this hobby 10yrs ago. I was single then. No responsibilities and a Union job that paid pretty good money.

Today, I have a wife and 2 small kids (ages 5 and 7), left the Union behind and still making good money. Just have other things to spend the cash on instead of airplanes and engines. Shoes, clothes, pencils and notebooks. [8D] Gallon of milk a day and endless jugs of laundry soap.

I don't have much cash for toy airplanes anymore. I scrap the hardware out of my wrecks and pull junk out of the dumpster at the field. You'd be amazed at what people will throw away. In the last 6 months, I've pulled out 2 sets of 40-60 size aerobatic wings and several tail sets. I pulled out 2 sets of wings for a WH Extra Special along with a tail set and cowl. Just need a fuse and hatch for a complete plane or I'll mount those wings on a profile fuse that can be framed and covered cheap.

I'm still bonkers. I love all things that fly. I just have a more limited budget today. []

Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
TakingFlight96

I'll admit it ... I spend WAY more time than I should in this hobby. But, considering I am in school my dad has set a few rules for me regarding school and flying ; 1. Homework is done before going out to the field, hobby shop, etc. 2. I must maintain a B average or above if I want to contine flying. My dad tells me that this hobby is a privelage and not a right. My schoolwork, family, friends, etc. come before flying. Since my very first flight, I've loved it and now that I soloed, am on my 2nd plane, quickly learning and performing aerobatics, and building a U-Can-Do .60 I am officially HOOKED. This fall marks my 2nd year of flying. I have been going Bonkers since the begining but, now its more like an addiction

TF96
Old 10-19-2008, 10:26 PM
sugarfox
My Feedback: (1)

Flight 96, sounds like you are getting good direction from your dad. Keep up the good work at school. Sugarfox
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

I'm an RC-aholic, is there a 3 step program out there, I need help! After a 25 year hiatus, I'm totally consumed with RC. Been back at it since the end of June and I now have a hanger of airplanes and I'm looking for my first biplane. Good thing winter is coming or else I might end up in divorce court....not really, my wife is very supportive but I think flying 3-5 days a week is getting old to her. I'll have to slow down a little next year!

Since June 08'

Avistar
- rest in peace - nice advanced trainer, didn't last long, pilot error, a week after soloing, ouch!
Thunder Tiger Worlds 40 trainer, great trainer, picked up for $50 PnP after my Avistar demise, been though hell before I got it, but still flys great, swapped the TT42 for my old OS46FX
GP Big Stick, new OS46AX, modified into tail dragger, rear skid, wire gear (old WWI look) - my daily go to airplane
Old Top Flite Contender?? low wing trike, slightly modified, $10 garage sale w/ old 40 Como engine that runs, will plug in the servos over the winter and fly next spring.
H9 P-51 PTS ARF, new 47 GMS, flaps, no training gear, will maiden next week hopefully.
Uproar kit for my winter project, ST45 out of the Avistar waiting.
PZ Trojan T- RTF Lipo - will be here tomorrow, first electric
Currently Looking for a 40 2S size Bipe for my OS61FS
Old 10-20-2008, 03:30 AM
jeffie8696

It is nice to know I am in the majority. yes I spend too much time here but it sparked my interest and has given me an outlet to keep my mind off lifes real problems.
I also have used what I learned here to make money selling assorted R/C stuff online(Thanks to everyone involved by the way). The inventory has dwindled but the obsession hasn't.
If it hadn't been for the forum , good friends I have met here and the Veterans Administration , my life would be a lot less enjoyable.

OH CRAP, I just realized I have almost 1200 posts. I really do spend too much time here. [sm=bananahead.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.