Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Respirator for CA??

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Respirator for CA??

Old 10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respirator for CA??

I searched but didn't find any information.

CA seems to be getting to me finally. Just a little exposure and my sinuses start draining badly, goes on for a week or more.

So, what is a good respirator to use, and where to buy it.

I'll appreciate any advice.

Frank
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Respirator for CA??

3M makes good respirators .... there are different types of filters to look for when working with chemicals. Your best bet would be to go to a paint store and ask what they would recommend for what you're working with. Look to spend around $40-50 for a decent mask that will be comfortable, the cheaper ones are stiffer and annoying.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem with CA, so I use the odorless stuff and it's fine. Expensive, though.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: Top_Gunn

I have the same problem with CA, so I use the odorless stuff and it's fine. Expensive, though.

Does that mean its safe , because it does not have an order. I'm not trying to be smart or question this, but if it really is safer I will start buying it. Have they tested it? I have started to use a fan to blow the fumes from my face, I think that helps but its still in the air and if I do a lot of work with it ,the basement can get full even with the fan.

If anyone has info. on the orderless being safer, I would like to see it.

thanks
sticks
Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Don41

ORIGINAL: Fishin Geezer

I searched but didn't find any information.

CA seems to be getting to me finally. Just a little exposure and my sinuses start draining badly, goes on for a week or more.

So, what is a good respirator to use, and where to buy it.

I'll appreciate any advice.

Frank

A lot of us got sensitized so welcome to the club (it's a big one).

IMHO,,, before looking into breathers, fans, etc why not ask yourself what is it about CA that makes it worth risking your future health? In my opinion "absolutely nothing".

Regards
Don

Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 AM
rwright142

I have found that I rarely need CA and when I do I have everything set up so I can quickly apply it then close the bottle. I have a little fan that I use to blow the fumes away from me while I do this and I don't have the problems anymore. CA got to me too. Before I read about it here on RCU I didn't know it was dangerous. I just thought I had caught something that was aggravating my sinuses then one day I realized I was getting like that after using CA. It was so bad once that my lungs hurt. Now I rarely use it (strengthen balsa threads after tapping is about the only time) because other glues work as good or better, so look at what your are doing and ask yourself if you really need to use CA. If the answer is yes, then see if you can ready that part of your project so you are only exposed to it for a short time. Make sure the area is well ventilated.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your concern is with the long-term effects of CA, I can't help. But I don't know the long-term effects of carpenter's glue or epoxy or any of the other glues, either. So is there really a health reason to avoid CA? If the problem is that CA irritates your sinuses, as it does mine, you can solve it by using the odorless variety. I figure ragweed, which also messes up my nose, doesn't have any known permanent health effects, so I'm not going to assume that CA does either.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long term effects of exposure to epoxies can be devastating. Anywhere from skin rashes, hives, and skin blistering to a condition that mimics cardio-pulmonary failure. Some people can't even be in the same room where wet epoxies are being used after excessive exposure to them. Everything chemical we touch seems to be accumulative.

Anything that severely irritates your eyes or sinuses is not good for you. Your body is telling you all you need to know when your eyes water or your nose runs. Your lungs are telling you when you cough. Your ears tell you when they start ringing/buzzing or you feel an aural pressure change after listening to something loud. The fact that we choose to ignore the warning signs does not remove the negative impacts. I started using the ca adhesives when they were first introduced. As was well except when they fumed and those fumes got in my eyes. It caused a burning sensation and my eyes teared up. After many years of use I'm congested for a day or two after using even small amounts of ca now.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

I get pounding headaches from breathing CA fumes. It also bothers my eyes. I have read that the fumes are extremely unhealthy to both eyes and lungs. I use a 3M 6200 disposable repirator. I see they sell many varieties and it is a bit confusing. That helps the lungs.
I have a fan that pulls the fumes away from the work area, that helps my eyes.
What little I have read about the Ca confirms that it is NASTY and should be dealt with accordingly.

I minimize my CA use now. When glueing balsa to balsa, it sure is fast and convenient.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:01 PM
wyowilliam

This has been used quite a bit in paleontology the last 15 years or so, but there is definately a camp that says this stuff is nasty and it should be avoided as much as possible. I don't think anyone knows about long-term effects as I've been told it was first introduced in the 1960's and no one has really studied the adverse health effects that I know of.