Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba 10 CAP & y-harness on rudder

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba 10 CAP & y-harness on rudder

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Fat Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 10 CAP & y-harness on rudder

Has anyone tried to use a y-harness for two rudder servos? I have two hi-tec hs-5645mg servos and I can't get the y- harness to work on channel 4. It will work on channel 1 and 2. Is there something I need to do with programming in the radio?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Futaba 10 CAP & y-harness on rudder

just out of curiosity why are you using a y harness with that radio? you would have so much more control with a mix.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you try to run twin elevators servos off of a Y-harness, it generally has to be the reversing type. Otherwise, the servos will rotate the same direction. Reversing Y's are available and they work well: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN1&P=ML

Like has been pointed out though, you should be able to use separate channels for your elevator servos and program the radio accordingly. I'm not completely familiar with the 10 CAP but I would assume it would have the capability being a higher end radio.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

It works, but why do this? There is nothing to configure different on the radio when using a passive ā€œYā€. If the ā€œYā€ worked in ch1&2 but not 4, You are plugging something in wrong, etc. Iā€™d just setup a linear mix from rudder to what ever spare channel you have to drive both rudder servos. This gives you better electrical connection to the servos and fine tuning of the mix from the radio.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe and Chuck beat me to it. My thoughts are always the same, why buy A high powered radio then use A harness. Your instruction book will tell you about the mix or you can go onto the Futaba site and read and down load the more advanced set ups. I'm setting up A new Extra with twin elevator and rudder servos with the old 9-C. I could run the extra rudder servo by using A mix but on this one I decided to use A matchbox I had sitting around doing nothing. I have seen and had too may Ys develop problems and gave up using them years ago. By using A mix you can adjust them so they are dead onto each other and not fighting themselves. Go read about it in Futabas Q&A section, very easy set up.
Gene
Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I'll go a different route...

Why 2 HS-5645????

save weight, and make it easier... just use one servo... The Hitec hs-7955, the Futaba 9156, or the JR 8611/8711
would have more torque then the 2 5645's, center better, and weigh less.......

just a thought
Old 11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Fat Daddy

Thanks for the advise. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I was not using the right channels. I had to use channel 5 as aux.
The reason I am using 2 servos in the tail is I have a zdz 40 on the front and need tail weight. I have a hard head and sometimes it takes me a while to figure things out.

Fat Daddy