Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Vacum forming questions

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Vacum forming questions

Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM
foodstick

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Vacum forming questions

I was wondering if anyone had some recomendations about what are the best types of plastics for both clear canopies, and opaque plastic detail pieces? I am going to try some of this before to long, and I am not really sure what thickness or material I want to aquire from the plastic store...I am kind of psyched up about the whole process though after watching some utube videos, and seeing what others both here and other places are making. It looks like a lot of stormtroopers and Daft Punk fans out there!! and why not !
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vacum forming questions

PetG is recommended for clear parts, and high impact styrene for other stuff. Micro Mark sells a book that answers the questions that you haven't even thought of yet. Well worth the $15 or so.

Les
Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Kelsey_B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For clear canopies, I think 0.040 PETG works the best. You can buy a 4 x 8 foot sheet at a plastic distributor.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM
foodstick

Thanks for the info, I finally have a picture of my yet unused vacum table...I have some canopies and part molds started, but nothing nearly ready to make a nice piece..so more finish work ahead ! Two overhead heaters from home depot,acrylic table top from an old aquarium project, mdf board from a slot car track build ! angle iron from an old bed frame I think...and the top boards were some scraps from the garage door repair last year , ha ha Oh yeah I am using a 5 horse shop vacum (eventually) and I installed a airline fitting for possibly using some real vacum off a tank later.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93689.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1069560  
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you plan on doing this commercially, you are spending a lot of money for a few parts.

I use a shop-vac connected to an 8"x12" box and I heat my plastic on a frame suspended over 2 hotplates. Total cost was about $25 (mostly for the hotplates).

I can pull a 5" x 8" x 3" high windshield from .040 PETG with no problems on this setup. (The hardest part was making the plug for the windshield)

It isn't fancy, but for the 10 or 12 parts a year I need it does the job.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 PM
foodstick

ha ha, maybe !

No matter, a buddy and I are always making oddball planes ,pilots, heck I may be making slot car bodies... I won't have a hundred bucks in it when I am done, I always have lots of materials collected up (scrounged) We needed to make some 22 inch long canopies, I didn't want to build that big but we can easily make a two piece one with this. It wil really help making blisters, gun ports, exhausts...We are building LONG TERM a couple big me 410s, and we will need lots of parts in at least the quantity of 4's so it will help out there as well. I have so many irons in the fire I am not sure when I will get my darn molds ready...and my plastic bought..Wish I could go fire it up and start pulling parts right now.