Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What's the best incidence meter out there?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What's the best incidence meter out there?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best incidence meter out there?

I need to buy an incidence meter and there are a few to choose from, Robart, H9, Dubro. etc. Which would be the top of the line?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: What's the best incidence meter out there?

Probably this one http://www.aeroperfect.com Dual axis, can be used for incidence or throws.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Flyboy1958

Wow, talk about high tech. That's quit the set up!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, AeroPerfect IS the top of the line, but it does not come with a bracket for mounting to the wing. (I reviewed it last month: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1030]Review[/link] )

I have been using the Robart for years and it is easy to use and works great,
Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM
JohnW

Yes, a bit overkill for most, but it is what you asked for.

Robarts are OK, used them berfore. They are inexpensive. I however personally prefer a meter that can be zeroed. I use the GP accupoints, they work well and are very accurate to about 1/4-1/8 degree, but are a pain to zero. I bought them before the electonic versions were out. If I had it to do over again with today's selctions, I'd probabaly use a digital readout one, like the Hanger 9 one.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Flyboy1958

Ya, thanks. I'm thinking digital is the way to go.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Ed Smith

I need to buy an incidence meter and there are a few to choose from, Robart, H9, Dubro. etc. Which would be the top of the line?
If you are realy serious then digital is not the way to go. If the zero on a digital meter is altered how does one know it is level? The Robarts is based on the spirit level. If the workbench is flat and level, using the robarts meter and squares the wing/tail incidences and firewalls can all be set at the same time.

Ed S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61551.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1069985  
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been using the older Robart units for A number of years now and after I got them my GP units were never taken out again. The GPs are pretty good for the price though and I got A lot of use out of them. I gave them to one of my students, just too much work compared to the Robarts when setting up A plane. I have never tried the digitals. That really is A slick unit Mike showed, A bit of an over kill but really slick.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 AM
JohnW

For a disclaimer, use what you like, I can’t disagree with that. But Ed, I do disagree on both of your statements about digital meters. All functions you mentioned can be easily performed without a level building table, so there is no need to actually measure level. And every digital I’ve seen can easily be reset by just pushing a button, so digitals can indeed be used to measure level, even after they had a zero adjustment.

My issue with the Robarts is that the meter display is very small, you have to read looking head on to line needle up with reflection on mirror bit, and then after all that the accuracy isn't all that great either. I can read my GP meter from 10 feet away at about any viewing angle to about 1/8 degree accuracy. The GPs aren’t a real big deal to zero out, but it does take a minute or two. But once that is done, they are very accurate, and very easy to read, and there is no need to set plane perfectly level first.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

I'll agree with JohnW on the Great planes incidence meter. I have found it to be better than my Robart. I now have 2 Great Planes incidence meters and got rid of the Robart, for the same reasons John stated. I can set mine to zero on the horizontal stab, move it over to the wing to check it, go back to the stab, and the reading is the same every time as long as you don't bang it around moving it from one flying surface to the next. I have seen other people say they don't like the Great Planes meter, but they never say why. The only thing that happens to mine is the laser that swings up and down will hang up a little. I usually tap the laser pointer a few times to make sure I'm getting the same reading every time.
I guess it really doesn't make much difference, as this item has been discontinued.

greg
Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
BillyGoat

I’ve been using H-9 Angle pro for awhile and like it. Certainly not the quality of the Aeroperfect, but not the price either.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Mark in Michigan

I have used the Robarts's for years and love them, never tried anything else though so I cannot compare. I actually have 3 of them so I can get biplanes put together and measure both wings & the stabilizer at the same time. I also bought a couple of the optional longer bars because I have built some bigger planes. I think they are easy to use, accurate and the price was reasonable.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:33 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I have 2 Robarts. But they don't agree. They are about a 1/2 degree apart.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Flyboy1958

Geezzz, I was thinking of getting the Robart one. Now you got me leaning toward the H9 AnglePro.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy1958

Geezzz, I was thinking of getting the Robart one. Now you got me leaning toward the H9 AnglePro.
I'm going to go with the AnglePro too. Accurate, versatile, and mildly affordable.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

If I was to replace my Great Planes laser ones, I would definitely get the Angle Pro.
As a mater of fact, I have had it all ready to buy at Tower, but just haven't hit the confirm button yet

Greg
Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that this is an old post, but anything new, I am wanting to buy an incidence meter for a Christmas present to myself, I am thinking that the Anglepro is better then the Robert. Any new thoughts?

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's nothing at all wrong with a Robart. I use one for everything. Its accuracy is as good as your eyesight to read the dial. My biggest project with the Robart was getting the warps out of a Kaos ARF. Once I was done, it took exactly one click of trim to get the ailerons level and the plane tracks as straight as anything at the field.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Only thing I have used that was better then a robart meter is two robart meters.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM
JohnBuckner

I also utilize two Robarts and also appriciate the nifty way that they bolt up to the shaft when checking thrust lines.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49061.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1827419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96814.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1827420  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How do you have that attached John?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, It is one of those things where I know the Robert is fine, but is the Anglepro worth an extra $20??????? or is it better to get two Roberts?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Flyboy1958

I ended up going with both, the Robart and the Angle Pro and I like both. In fact I compare results one against the other just to see if I am getting the same results. I do, so the only thing that happened with the AnglePro is that the bracket that holds the battery in broke loose from the solder weld, but it was an easy fix to get it back together. The other thing about the Angle PRo is that it's easy to move the angle device when you hit the zero button, and it will throw it off if your not careful. Other than that I like it.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Lowvoltage

I also have both. The problem Ihave with the Robart is that depending on the temperature in my shop, Isometimes have to adjust the screws on the level plastic case to get the meter to deflect correctly after being installed on the beam.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

How do you have that attached John?

Hey Jester, look at your end wing 'V' cup brackets. One of them has a ninety degree angle surface on it with a notch that is intended to slip over a prop shaft and tightened. You just slide the jeweled scale over all the way to the side and you can read all the thrust lines down thrust, right thrust, out thrust or what ever perfectly.

I leave one of mine set up this way all the time and get more use out of it checking/setting thrust lines than I do incidences

Minereefer I only have the Robarts and only know they are valued tools in my shop and whether or not you should spend extra money on the others only you can answer.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.